C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Requesting update on engine bearings???

Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Requesting update on engine bearings???

Months ago, I bought a set of the new bearings from Kurt White. I received a package from him this morning with a new #3 main bearing (the thrust bearing) and a letter explaining a design improvement had been made and to please ship the first one back in the prepaid shipping package. So, what was the design improvement? I compared the two and couldn't tell any difference to the naked eye although I didn't take the "old" design out of the plastic wrap...I didn't want to get the two sets mixed up in case I couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks again to Kurt for all the effort he puts in to keeping our beasts alive. I know some people have other opinions, but it's a free country based on capitalism and competition...anybody can do the same thing and make a "pile" of money at it if that's what they think is there. Like I tell my daughter, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:22 PM
turbo-max
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you look on the INSIDE radius of the thrust edge of the bearing, the updated one is machined 90* where as the 1st gens have a slight roundness to them is about the best i can explain, maybe Kurt will chime in monday with a better explaination.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo-max
if you look on the INSIDE radius of the thrust edge of the bearing, the updated one is machined 90* where as the 1st gens have a slight roundness to them is about the best i can explain, maybe Kurt will chime in monday with a better explaination.
Thanks, I finally found it. We just had a difference in what "inside radius" is, but I see the new machining marks on the back side of the bearing shell. I'm guessing this provides a better fit to the bearing cap/engine block.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:03 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

just installed mine about 30 minutes ago!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
turbo-max
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as i know, that would be correct.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original bearings were welded together. Since this one was a single piece design it created a slight issue with the crank turning. The updated bearing that Kurt has recently sent out corrects this issue 100% and is good to go.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

The answers to the bearings update has been resolved & is correct & requires NO MODIFCATIONS at all to bolt into a stock engine. Jeff has answered the question as good as i would & will not add anymore to it. I wanted the bearings to be a direct fit, this is what i wanted from day one & this is what we have.

Everyone that purchased them should have received the updated bearing in the mail, if not, by Monday for sure, I would need you to send back the original one in the pre paid package provided.

Kurt.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Kurt, the ones I bought are still in the plastic, didnt want to break the package open yet. Are these updated or do you want me to ship em back for exchange?

8/29/07, Invoice #8184
Thanks-Ron

Last edited by cv67; 10-23-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
The original bearings were welded together. Since this one was a single piece design it created a slight issue with the crank turning. The updated bearing that Kurt has recently sent out corrects this issue 100% and is good to go.
Uhhh - I think I'm dumb as a sack of hammers! Both the old ones Kurt shipped and the new ones are two piece designs - I see the 90 degree machining - but please elaborate on the one peice or two piece design details - feeling clued out!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Uhhh - I think I'm dumb as a sack of hammers! Both the old ones Kurt shipped and the new ones are two piece designs - I see the 90 degree machining - but please elaborate on the one peice or two piece design details - feeling clued out!

From what I see It apears to be a one piece the old ones are definatly a 2 piece design it is different than the original in apearance but I installed mine torqued everything down and she spun like a champ

Get notified of new replies

To Requesting update on engine bearings???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Requesting update on engine bearings???