C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

First Cool Day of Driving: SES Code 43 and 66

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default First Cool Day of Driving: SES Code 43 and 66

What are they and what is the fix?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

ok..code 43 is knock sensor which I had before. Could that be an old code that needs to be cleared....if so, how do you clear the codes?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Well, I disconnected the neg batt and drove it for 30 minutes with no light....my ZR-1s have always thrown a code on the first cool or hot day in the change of seasons..oh well.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
1990 QUASAR BLUE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that code 66 is the engine power switch circuit.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 1990 QUASAR BLUE
I believe that code 66 is the engine power switch circuit.

Can you verify that? Because, I disconnected the engine power switch the other day when I removed the DIC to remove the bulb to my LTPWS. That would make sense.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Anybody? Is this thing on?

Code 43 turned out to be ESC Circuit Error (what the hell is that?)

I feel pretty sure that the Code 66 was because I disconnected the Power Key to remove the bulb...but what is Code 43?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
guinnessdood
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LowFlight
Anybody? Is this thing on?

Code 43 turned out to be ESC Circuit Error (what the hell is that?)

I feel pretty sure that the Code 66 was because I disconnected the Power Key to remove the bulb...but what is Code 43?
The Code 43 ESC Circuit Error has to do with your DIS Module (located on the underside of the plenum). I don't have my book with me to look at Code 66. If your code 43 is recurring you probably have an issue with your DIS module...expensive little bugger too! Been there replaced that!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by guinnessdood
The Code 43 ESC Circuit Error has to do with your DIS Module (located on the underside of the plenum). I don't have my book with me to look at Code 66. If your code 43 is recurring you probably have an issue with your DIS module...expensive little bugger too! Been there replaced that!
66 is the power key circuit interruption...like I said, I caused that and am not concerned. However, this DIS module..is it easy to replace, can you get one?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
guinnessdood
Drifting

66 is the power key circuit interruption...like I said, I caused that and am not concerned. However, this DIS module..is it easy to replace, can you get one?
It is pretty easy to replace yes. Remove the plenum...flip it over unbolt the DIS Module...and bolt in a new one. Marc Haibeck has a spare that he loans out...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
1990 QUASAR BLUE
Pro

The book also says that code 43 can be a bad connection at the knock sensor, ECM, or ESC module. (Maybe melted wire on knock sensor) I doubt this is likely but, the book says it's possible. From reading the flow chart on it, it seems that you need a scan tool to properly test everything. I assume that you have a laptop. If so, you can download Datamaster and order the cable. This way you can check everything out yourself. Let me know if you want the steps from the flow chart.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks...I drove it for over and hour after clearing the codes...maybe it won't come back.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Where is the knock sensor located? I swear if I come across a a service manual I will buy it.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 AM
1990 QUASAR BLUE
Pro

Where is the knock sensor located? I swear if I come across a a service manual I will buy it.
Driver's side center below cam cover. Where the exhaust manifold bolts up.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...LM54MQVT8F3PQE
Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
threestar40
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Code 43 is a major PITA.
I just had the code disabled from my chip.

I chased this code for years. Replaced knock sensor (Very Easy by the way)

I don't think it is possible to make your car NOT run the test that checks your knock sensor for proper operation...It's hard wired into the system.

This one very hard to "cure"...the really bad news is that when the code is "active" you don't have full power. It set on me during an open road race this year, then unset itself in the same run.

I almost wanted to sell the car when I came home because of frustration with code 43...an intermittent electrical gremlin in my life for several years that reared it's ugly head at the most inopportune times.

It hasn't set on my car since it has been "disabled" whatever the hell that means. There is also another electrical path that run that will set the code if something is amiss, but I forget, I will try to post it later if you really want/need the info...it's in the FSM of course.

These are the things about fuel injection and electronics...they can really kick your *** sometimes. Mine seemed to be temperature related as the computer runs the test automatically when the car gets to a certain temp. I would love to know the solution that you come with.

How would you like to do everything in your power to make sure your car is perfect...spend 10 grand to attend an event with your Z then lose full power during the event because of an intermittent electrical problem you can't figure out. It sucks. But I am in this car for the duration despite all of it's shortcomings...the people on this forum have convinced me.

Keep us posted and I will keep following the thread.

Rick
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks...I had a code 43 blink on several months ago and it hasn't come back. I don't have alot of concern at this point because I had some things apart without the batt disconnected. We'll see when it dries up outside later this week.

Question I have is that the car runs perfectly fine...no reduction in power etc...

Last edited by LowFlight; 10-23-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 PM
guinnessdood
Drifting

Thanks...I had a code 43 blink on several months ago and it hasn't come back. I don't have alot of concern at this point because I had some things apart without the batt disconnected. We'll see when it dries up outside later this week.

Question I have is that the car runs perfectly fine...no reduction in power etc...
Ya know...now that I htink about it...Code 43 is not DIS module related. It is as stated...for the Cam Sensor. I have an intermittent Code 43 on my car and it is caused by the connector itself...the Cam Sensor connector can easily be located by following the wire harness...it us typically underneath the brake booster. It is a three pin connector and mine gets corroded and causes the Code 43. I would check the connector to see if it is green inside...mine was. It will definitely turn on the SES light and turn off your secondaries.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM
threestar40
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by guinnessdood
Ya know...now that I htink about it...Code 43 is not DIS module related. It is as stated...for the Cam Sensor. I have an intermittent Code 43 on my car and it is caused by the connector itself...the Cam Sensor connector can easily be located by following the wire harness...it us typically underneath the brake booster. It is a three pin connector and mine gets corroded and causes the Code 43. I would check the connector to see if it is green inside...mine was. It will definitely turn on the SES light and turn off your secondaries.
I don't remember code 43 having anything at all to do with the cam sensor?????

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To First Cool Day of Driving: SES Code 43 and 66

Quick Reply: First Cool Day of Driving: SES Code 43 and 66