C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

San Diego ZR1 Saved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM
marc.madmax
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Diego ZR1 Saved!

Well Guys,

The fires raging here almost got one. Mine (seen at this link)

http://www.96lt4.com/ZR1/blum91.html

was saved only hours from destruction. Monday morning, about 1:00AM we decided to start getting some of our stuff out. I don't know why but it seemed logical to get the big ticket stuff off our mountain top home. That meant fill the Z and park it a few miles away at the grocery store in the large parking lot. I thought that would be enough. I really did not expect the fires to hit us, and yet I knew we were possibly in the path.

We then came back to the house and put a few things in the car and truck just incase. At 3:00 AM I saw the glow over the top of the hill above us, and got my wife going to get out. We did not make it out of the community as the fire blocked our exit.

Anyway back to the Z. Today we saw the house from across the canyon. Its gone, the garage, gone. All my reciepts, spare parts, old parts that I saved, shop manuals, everything, went up with the garage. So with great sadness I find myself in the situation of having to sell the car, I had hoped to include all those items with the car.

At this time I am putting up the car for sale. Best Offer I guess. The original window sticker was in the car so I still have that. No damage from the fire. The car had just been repaired from small accident that had damaged the hood, which was replace with an new GM replacement (that was a battle) and repainted on 3/4 of the car. The car is mechanically in great shape. the AC blows cold. Its got a Mark Haibeck Chip, flowmasters with crossover, aftermarket stereo but I left the original radio harness in place and can easily restore to original. I relocated the battery to the back and put a power disconnect in the original location so I did not have to cut up original cables.

Items that need some work are carpet and drivers seat (bolsters torn). Some of the weatherstriping is needing addressing. A new set of shoes for the car. 40K Miles on it. I drive it and I don't baby it.

I was going to start @ $22K since I had the original sawblades, clear top and a bunch of other parts, but those are gone. I hope someone could do $18k to $20k, so we will see what happens.

Thanks for your input, and thank you for your concern. I may have lost almost everything but I saved a classic.

Please don't take this as a plea for help. Im in good shape. Thats life, and me and my wife and dog are safe. We will be fine.

Thanks guys

Marc Blum
Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Peaven
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Glad to hear you're ok Marc

Good luck w/the sale, hope life stabilizes for you after this ordeal.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you and the wife are fine. Let us know if you need anything.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok! Good luck with sale.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear about your house. Thank god that both you and your wife are fine. Don't worry about the car. It's still a Z and she'll still sell...

It's your safety that's most important.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I was wondering this morning as I was watching the news if any one on the forum especially The Brotherhood of the Beast was out there
Sounds like you will land on your feet and I hope someone steps up to the plate here

Have you listed it on ZR1net
Old 10-25-2007, 02:08 PM
SledUtah
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Sorry to hear that Mark, glad to hear you and your wife are OK though.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Best of Luck Marc
Old 10-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry to hear you lost your house. All the best to you and the wife.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:34 PM
kmoudy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met Marc and his lovely wife, last year at the western gathering.
A nice young man, with a obvious passion for his ZR1.
Marc
I am sorry to hear of your loss, keep all of us updated on your
wearabouts, and i know this seems a shallow, retort, but
if we, meaning, the ZR1 community, can do anything, to help.
Send me a pm.
Keith
Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats terrible thing to hear, I can only imagine how you teo feel right now. Good luck on the car sale...Its a drive but if you two have nowhere to go I have an extra room you can use for awhile if need be.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm glad you and your wife and dogs are safe.
Sorry about your home and hope things work out for you.
Good luck with selling your ZR-1. I'd think you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM
marc.madmax
Advanced

Thanks to all of you! We have had a great outpouring of offers of help and all. We are just fine. We have been able to stay with some friends in town.

We did have another tragedy this week (when it rains it pours) one of my best friends died suddenly (just went to sleep in front of the TV during Monday Night Football and never woke up) He was in good health and his ticker just ticked out. So we've come up to North LA to help his wife with handling the grief and the arraingements.

I really feel bad for Julie, his wife. It hurts way more to loose some one than a whole mess of somethings. I will never forget him. Anyway we will be back in San Diego shortly and looks like we will have to find someplace to live long term while we rebuild or ???

I am writing up an article regarding our ordeal monday morning (10-22) and it will shock the crap out of you. We almost perished in the fire.

Needless to say, I got the z locked up so the looters can't get it.

It so wierd trying to think of what to save if you have only minutes to pack. I had 15 minutes. What would you save?

Cheers

Marc Blum
Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Its hard to know what to say, however, this experience is what it is and I am glad you are here to tell us about it. Sorry to hear of your friend passing on Marc. Losing a good friend this premature has to be very painful. I am glad to hear you have the opportunity to support his wife in her darkest hours.

What would I save in 15 minutes ? Pictures and papers 1st... after that it would be the nessasary items of a week long trip. Then, it would be whatever I considered valueble that didn't weigh to much. It would really suck leaving the tool boxes and parts behind not to mention the bike. In the end it is the sentimental stuff that I would most want to keep but it would not overide my practical list... survival of those I care about comes 1st

Happy to hear your wife and you are safe.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:18 PM
marc.madmax
Advanced

hey Ted

Thanks! I did not want to burden you all on the net about my personal problems I would rather be talking about how to make the Z go faster!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marc.madmax
looters can't get it.

It so wierd trying to think of what to save if you have only minutes to pack. I had 15 minutes. What would you save?

Cheers

Marc Blum
One summer ago the fire potential here in south Texas was so high that I packed all our unreplaceable documents into three plastic tubs ready to load in the truck and head out. Never had to, but it was interesting to have the time to go thru the exercise of "what do I keep?" I can't imagine what it's like to have to do that in only a few minutes. Keep safe Marc, our prayers are with you.

Glenn
Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by marc.madmax
hey Ted

Thanks! I did not want to burden you all on the net about my personal problems I would rather be talking about how to make the Z go faster!
You can't burden me Marc... like you, I have a ZR-1 ! In the end I hope you keep your car... It is one of the best decompression chambers I have ever experienced as I am sure you will agree !

Get notified of new replies

To San Diego ZR1 Saved!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

I would just like to say that I'm sorry for the loss of your house. Reading your post prompted me to reflect on what i would do in that situation......I got brain lock

God bless you and your family!
I do hope that you guys come out okay on the other side of this.

Tom
Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

hi, would you mind sending me some pictures of the car, including where you see the problems,, thanks,,, alanhanger@mts.net
Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 AM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Things are things. People we love are everything. If I had 15 minutes to get out I would get my family in the car with some food and water and haul *** in 5 minutes because you really don't know if you truely have 15 minutes.

Glad you and your family are allright.

Last edited by 4cefed; 10-28-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: San Diego ZR1 Saved!