C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Explanation for disappointing trap speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Dominic did you put in the X pipe yet? I bet the trap will be even better?
GC,

No xpipe at this point. But thinking about it. Lgaff did that with his.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
GC,

What was lgaff results?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

Went 12.54 @ 117.25(On GSCs)

Last trip out prior to pipe 12.9@112.25 was my best.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
terryszr1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lgaff , do you still have the borla mufflers if so how is the sound with the xpipe?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 PM
kcl98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
GC,

Dom,

My experience says the X-pipe will make a significant difference for you. It should get you to trap right about what your friend's car is doing. Also, keep an eye on your gas. I've become a huge believer in BP/Amoco after seeing KR figs on scan tools while running other gasoline brands, when running BP yields no knock retard at all.

Also - the density altitude the first day we were at Byron really wasn't that good. My 421 ran 11.0s @ 124 that day, but I just went to Great Lakes last weekend with better weather and ran 10.8s @ 128. If you are not dynoing your car to find out your horsepower gains from your mods, you really have to pay very close attention to the weather - ie - the density altitude - when you're at the track, otherwise some temperature/pressure differences will play havoc with your "perceived gains/losses" in power.

Sounds like you're on the right track now - definitely get the X-pipe if you don't mind the noise - the power will be worth it & you'll need it to maximize the potential gains from a head porting job. What mufflers/cat-back exhaust are you running again?

Kevin '90

PS - one other idea - find out if your tac is correct or not - if it's off, you could be inadvertantly short-shifting the motor, which will result in slower trap speeds. When the exhaust is un-coarked in these cars, esp with a good port job on the heads and manifold, they seem to like to be shifted at 7200-7300 rpm. A motor with a good port job and a free flowing exhaust & air intake should peak around 6700-6800 rpm. Make sure your bellows (ducting) in the air intake isn't collapsing under WOT.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for all the good advice. I usually run BP unless I can get Shell. Sunoco is Nirvana. I'm still getting some ver slight KR maybe enough to make the diff between 12's and 13's.There's a few other things I'll be doing to the motor like top end porting. Also want to add my Fidanza FW to the mix. If I am going to start tuning, I'd like to do it once in the configuration I am ending up with. We'll see you for pizza soon.

Quick Reply: Explanation for disappointing trap speed?