C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

The King vs 911 on Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:47 AM
billfarmer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The King vs 911 on Autobahn

First let me give you guys some background. My wife and I are in the Air Force and have been in Germany for just over a year. We own #007, 95, drm, 15K miles. I drive it once a month or so. And up until yestday had limited interaction with any cars worth mentioning on the autobahn. I once tangled with a newer 911 (non turbo) for a minute or two but he had his wife with him. I could tell he was taking a few elbows to the ribs so he backed off. Well, yesterday, over cast as usual, I had not been out for a drive in weeks and couldn't resist. I didn't make it to the end of my street until the low tire pressure light came on. I drove to base, slowly, filled up with gas and pumped the tire up (about 10psi low). It was dinner time so I headed back home. I headed up the autobahn towards home. Not one formidable car insight but I could resist "getting on it" a little. As I was passing some cars, I was going to fast to get over for my exit so I went to the next exit. When I got off a silver Porsche 911 went by. I got behind him and we headed toward A62. I kept it in 2nd gear so I could hit it when we straightened out off the ramp. We weren't even out of the curve and he punched it. So did I and stayed on his tail. He did not fool around. 130, 140, 150mph + this guy did not back off. We went through some curves at 130-140 something (not a good idea to take yours eyes off the road). I held it in 4th at 6K rpms (I think). When we straightened back out, he got on it but was unsuccessful in pulling away. When I looked down we were going 172mph, excellerating and going downhill. We entered a construction zone and had to slow down. I waved, took the next exit, flipped around, headed back up A62 towards home and supper. I had gone about 2 miles when he flies by me. Not to be outdone, I shifted from 6th to 4th at 100ish and caught him with ease. We went through a series of curves. I was in 4th most of the way anywhere from 130-150mph. I think we got up to 160 something when he slowed down and exited. I followed him. He was sitting at the stop sign, pulled far to the right with his window down. I pulled along side and asked if he spoke English. He said "your car is running very good." We pulled over in a park and ride type parking lot, got out of our cars and introduced ourselves. He had a 2005 911 Carrera S, had put a different chip in it and it put out 400 something hp. The price tag on that car was 110,000 Euro which is around 150K USD (they have ridiculous taxes here). I told him a little about the King and we went our separate ways. For all you guys that do not get to drive your cars like this, some how some way, make it happen at least once.

Bill

Winning the hearts and minds of Germans, kicking one Porsche *** at a time.

p.s. I am selling the car. PM me for details. One problem, it is in Germany.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by billfarmer
p.s. I am selling the car. PM me for details. One problem, it is in Germany.
Bill, sounds like fun. Wondered if you sold the car. Hope all's well. Ted
Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 AM
DMark
Drifting

WOW! A 172 mph blast.

That'll make your LT5 "Carbon Neutral."
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

After a story/ride like that,
Don't sell it!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:04 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That must be fun to legally hit those speeds. Way to show those high priced sports cars some good ol' American Muscle.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:06 PM
threestar40
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool Story.
The only place we can do that in America without taking a chance on jail time is at an open road race as far as I know.

I've done two of them now...It is quite an experience.

The Z does well at speed. I wish I had more driving experience in the corners, bends, sweepers, and turns at those speeds...I have a feeling it will do a lot better than I have the guts to drive it. Sounds like you were rapping it out pretty good...It's nice to hear stories where guys aren't afraid to drive their cars to the edge...I'm always amazed how well the motors work in that RPM range over that many miles. Taking curves at 115 MPH when the DOT sign says 60 MPH is pretty thrilling too

Rick
Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

about 7 years ago i got to run the autobahn as fast as i wanted to. i`ve got a nephew who was in the air force. i rented a toyota station wagon at Spandahlem nearby Bittburg, drove to Amsterdam, Paris and then back to Bittburg. i think i ran about 90 mph all the way. Sure wish i could get on those roads with the ZR-1 but it will never happen.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Great story! I drove a Volvo S60 across Germany a few years ago - cruised at 240 km/hr for hours on end (150 mph) - at one point a BMW blasts by me like I'm standing still!!!! Had to be going 190 mph! Quite cool seeing a Bimmer take a long sweeper at those speeds!!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do sometimes do this, but the posts get locked.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
We do sometimes do this, but the posts get locked.
Never
Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by billfarmer
Winning the hearts and minds of Germans, kicking one Porsche *** at a time.
Do you think this may cause him (or any other German Porsche owner) to sell their cars?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

This is the first :"kll" story that is acceptable that I have ever seen here
Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Love those Porsche stories ! I was fortunate in 2004 to encounter a 911 TT that stickered for $125K back in 1997. It had all the fancy bodywork on it and 425 hp. After the festivities we chatted and he was impressed that the Z would stay with him. I was well into 5th gear several times with 4.10s in the rear. We talked several times afterwards but never had another opportunity to play like that again. To top it off, it was his company car ! He drove it like he stole it much of the time with ticket stories to back it up !
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
Love those Porsche stories ! I was fortunate in 2004 to encounter a 911 TT that stickered for $125K back in 1997. It had all the fancy bodywork on it and 425 hp. After the festivities we chatted and he was impressed that the Z would stay with him. I was well into 5th gear several times with 4.10s in the rear. We talked several times afterwards but never had another opportunity to play like that again. To top it off, it was his company car ! He drove it like he stole it much of the time with ticket stories to back it up !
Yeah - but did he blow by you at 125 mph on the Vegas interstate and put his 4 ways on right afterward like them HOT G6s from Pontiac?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Steven's Toys
Racer

Check out this link.
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/results-entry.htm

My car averaged 150.363 back in 2001 when it was owned by Ed Van Scoy and he was clocked at 180 on a straight-a-way.

The interesting thing on this site is how the new ZO6s are performing just as the ZR1's were a few years back. The 150 MPH group is where they both placed very well.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Steven's Toys
Racer

For the record Ed backed off to the low 160s before the official trap speed so he would not be eliminated. They are very strick about the "trap speed" and what safety equipment is required for that class.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Yeah - but did he blow by you at 125 mph on the Vegas interstate and put his 4 ways on right afterward like them HOT G6s from Pontiac?
"Gonna give him the flashers!"

I'll never forget that night.

Get notified of new replies

To The King vs 911 on Autobahn

Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5

You were just wanting to play that night... so... I felt obligated to give you a flyby x 2 ! or was it 3 times ?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

My neighbor owns a 2006 Porsche Carrera S. Back over the summer he invited me for an afternoon on his boat which is moored at a marina about 20 miles away. He drove his Porsche and me in the Z. We took the back roads through southern Wisconsin to play. Although we didn't get to 175mph we did get to a buck twenty five. I had the same experience, he couldn't pull away from me and although I could gain on him there was no way I could get past. (the Porsche does have better brakes and suspension)

When we got there he was impressed that the old Z did so well.

Just goes to show that the Z is still the best bang for the buck and perfectly capable of holding it's own with more advanced cars. Maybe not the fastest anymore but still up there.

Hans
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

I was just in Gerrmany a couple of weeks ago and got a chance to drive a good freind's 2004 Porsche 911 Carrera S for about an hour the back roads around Ravensburg. No doubt our Zs are still great performers on America roads but that Porsche sure did justice to the twisty German tarmac. Like driving in a fine fitting glove.

Quick Reply: The King vs 911 on Autobahn