C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Tuner software/hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Tuner software/hardware?

I ordered the updated s/w for my AutoXray EZ-link scanner to complement my "new" Z. But, if I were to buy a s/w package for a laptop, a package that would allow me to see all the code status items on one screen, and have the capability of dynamic "event" recording, what would a good package be and where to get it? (The EZ stores data in time stamped register stacks, up to 20(?) stacks; 10 history prior to and "event" cue, and 10 post cue event - really handy to evaluate "what's happening when" analysis! )

It is my understanding too that a 90 vintage Vette, Zs included, did not have an e-prom, but rather require a chip to be "burned". I'm not so interested in a chip as I am in seeing if the one I have is stock or some aftermarket (just curious - no reason to think it isn't stock), hence the core reason for my computer s/w question.

TIA,

P.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I ordered the updated s/w for my AutoXray EZ-link scanner to complement my "new" Z. But, if I were to buy a s/w package for a laptop, a package that would allow me to see all the code status items on one screen, and have the capability of dynamic "event" recording, what would a good package be and where to get it? (The EZ stores data in time stamped register stacks, up to 20(?) stacks; 10 history prior to and "event" cue, and 10 post cue event - really handy to evaluate "what's happening when" analysis! )

It is my understanding too that a 90 vintage Vette, Zs included, did not have an e-prom, but rather require a chip to be "burned". I'm not so interested in a chip as I am in seeing if the one I have is stock or some aftermarket (just curious - no reason to think it isn't stock), hence the core reason for my computer s/w question.

TIA,

P.

Pull it an take a pic an dpost it most of us can tell you its stock by looking at the markings. GC
Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 AM
terryszr1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am curious what would one have to get to be able to ck the tune and be able to burn a new prom? can you adjust timming and fuel in the prom. i am very new to this computor stuff but use to love to play /tune my trans am. can you help ? are there any books i could pick up to learn how to use the equipment to tune this car ? thanx for any help
Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get a USB adapter from Moates that will work with your existing OBD-I GM cable that came with your AutoXray. I have an EZ_Scan 6000 and did this.

You can then try out something like TTS Datamaster and make 20 free recordings to see if you like it, or if in general you like using a laptop vs the hand-held tool.

The recording on the EZ-Scan does leave something to be desired.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by terryszr1
i am curious what would one have to get to be able to ck the tune and be able to burn a new prom? can you adjust timming and fuel in the prom. i am very new to this computor stuff but use to love to play /tune my trans am. can you help ? are there any books i could pick up to learn how to use the equipment to tune this car ? thanx for any help
The answer is yes. You'll need a prom burner (like a Needhams or PP) , bin editor (like Tunercat or Tunerpro), and a scantool like EASE, WinALDL,TTS Datamaster. If you understand tuning you'll understand the ECM.
You're doing the same thing but electronically and the ECM can continuously adjust based on sensor inputs. Takes a while but you'll get it. It becomes addicting when you learn about the various params you can change.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Default Your scanner

Your scanner will give you the option to check PROM ID: You can tell without disassembly the PROM in the car by checking the corresponding PROM ID to production #'s The PROM ID's are posted I believe on the "registry". I doubt an aftermarket prom can be identified "visually" UNLESS the "TUNER" signed it!!! I've got two and they're from different "TUNERS" both are "SIGNED" LT5! Post the prom ID from the scan and it should be easy to help you.

Here's a link to a GM calibration site where you can check by VIN the most recent and available PROMS/ECM's and calibrations:

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Some part#'s from service bulletins etc will not convert in the CVN block. Click on complete history and you should see all PROM revisions. SHOULD!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-31-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM
terryszr1
Racer

guys thank you for all the info. i can hardly wait to get started . i allways have loved the tunning of my cars. are there any books on understanding the different things like the block cell and block learn and intigrators and what effect they have on the tune / I think once i understand the roll of each and how they work together this type of tunning could be a blast. again thankyou all for very friendly and informative posts
Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
turbo-max
Instructor

too bad you can't use EFI LIVE, man that was an AWSOME tunning tool to use with my duramax,and LSx powerd trucks.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by terryszr1
guys thank you for all the info. i can hardly wait to get started . i allways have loved the tunning of my cars. are there any books on understanding the different things like the block cell and block learn and intigrators and what effect they have on the tune / I think once i understand the roll of each and how they work together this type of tunning could be a blast. again thankyou all for very friendly and informative posts

Go here!

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...uide-book.html
Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
terryszr1
Racer

Dominic, thankyou so much .What a great site easy for an ole fart to understand too. I feel like johnny 5 INPUT give me input. your right i will be hopelessly hooked .again thankyou your aces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Tuner software/hardware?

Quick Reply: Tuner software/hardware?