C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Zr1 Hood Support

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM
55bluevette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zr1 Hood Support

I had a problem with the hood support on my 90 ZR1 not going to the locking position. It appeared that the spring that pushes the bottom section over to lock the hood in the up position was not there. I disengaged the bottom section from the bottom support, and picked it up over the top section, to see if the spring had fallen down in the lower section. After several attemps at retriving the spring was unsuccessful, I connected it back up and it started working perfectly. Has anyone had a problem like this, and what did they do to solve it?I'm afraid that it will happen again if I don't do something.
Thanks,
Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 AM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Once you get the hood about half way up it should open the rest of the way and lock into place by itself, I was manually pushing the orange piece over to hold it up. Then I replaced the hydraulic support and it was like night and day, similiar to replacing the rear hatch struts.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

You can buy a new support from MAD, ZIP,.... for under $100. Might be your best option if it happens again.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Standard C4 issue, any hood support will work, not ZR-1 specific.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 PM
55bluevette
Advanced

Thanks for the response. The strut picks up the hood OK, and it holds it up, but the orange piece wouldn't automatically go over to the locked position. Does the one from ZIP or MAD have the orange piece on it. The one on my 86 Pace Car is not the same as the ZR1, and I want to keep it like the original one.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 55bluevette
Thanks for the response. The strut picks up the hood OK, and it holds it up, but the orange piece wouldn't automatically go over to the locked position. Does the one from ZIP or MAD have the orange piece on it. The one on my 86 Pace Car is not the same as the ZR1, and I want to keep it like the original one.
I'm not sure what year the hood support was changed for C4's. Just get the one that's the right year and it should be correct.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
jmascharka
Advanced

I have a similar question on the hood support. I know this will sound stupid, but I just got my car today and got home and put the hood up. Now I can seem to get the support to go down. I don't have an owners manual, so how do I get the hood support to close? I looked and don't have any kind of orange piece. I have a 92 ZR-1.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
55bluevette
Advanced

Hold up to support the hood, and move the orange piece of the support to the center of the support. It should go down now.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 55bluevette
The tube part with the orange piece is retained, the replacement strut goes in the tube. I believe I bought mine at Advanced Auto.

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 Hood Support

Quick Reply: Zr1 Hood Support