C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Quasar Z
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I went through all of these problems with my ZR-1 and did everything that has been recommended here and then some (it is very embarassing to have to push start your car at the gas station or the track!). I bypassed the clutch switch and even added a relay into the starter circuit that would allow more power to get to the solenoid. I tried a different key to make sure it wasn't VATS related. Even after all of this I still had the same problem. The final change I made was a new battery even though mine semed to be fine. The battery was the culprit, as I never had the problem again. Keep in mind the battery still tested out as adequate but it apparently wasn't adequate enough to get the car started on a consistent basis (the no-start was only after driving the car for a while, never at initial cold start). After going through the process I went through, I would first try a new battery before bypassing anything, especially if you are able to bump-start the car. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Default Battery condition

I've always thought that the symptoms with the "no start" on our cars is "TYPICAL" for all vehicles with Nippondenso cranking systems. The solenoid/switch contacts aren't what you would call "severe duty". It takes as I mentioned in my first post "all of a good" battery to crank in any situation other than "cold start" with a cranking motor with mileage maybe 35K, 40K or more.
Quality cables, keeping the grounds and terminations clean and serviced I'm sure improve the cranking but it really gets down to battery condition and the condition of the cranking motor.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
On the side of safety folks careful when you push those Z's folks as that big *** tire catches peoples feet before they can get into the car.
Never, ever try to jump in a ZR-1 while trying to push start it. The combination of the wide rear tires, with the proximity of the tire to the door, combined with the difficulty getting in, it is very easy to receive a very serious injury by running over your foot......ask me how I know?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
Never, ever try to jump in a ZR-1 while trying to push start it. The combination of the wide rear tires, with the proximity of the tire to the door, combined with the difficulty getting in, it is very easy to receive a very serious injury by running over your foot......ask me how I know?

Best thing to do is get a friend (or brother of the beast, as it were) to push the car while you ride!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90-92 have a low voltage issue to the starter. The best fix, is installing a relay with juice going directly to the starter.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Do a thread search for "Dreaded No Start"

The answer:
Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

I just sent you Shrek's number. He's in Moyock.

Mark
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
jmascharka
Advanced

Thanks. Moyock is a little far, but Phrogs lives close. Just need to arrange a time when I can get to his place.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Makes me wonder since you just bought it if the washed the engine we If you can wait since im knee deep in my own ZR1 you can bring the car over and we can look at it next week

Im going to be busy every day but Ill be happy to direct you on how to pull the plenum and we can check the starter take it to auto zone and test it, I have a spare starter that we can check as well and install it and you can replace my spare or we can order one and install it.

Again this week is busy and I have the Ball on sunday ill give you a shout.

Ill be home soon im at work right now ill give you a buzz
Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phrogs
Makes me wonder since you just bought it if the washed the engine we If you can wait since im knee deep in my own ZR1 you can bring the car over and we can look at it next week

Im going to be busy every day but Ill be happy to direct you on how to pull the plenum and we can check the starter take it to auto zone and test it, I have a spare starter that we can check as well and install it and you can replace my spare or we can order one and install it.

Before you go to all that trouble, locate the big purple wire under the ECM. ***** into it with a voltage meter. If it's less than 10.5 volts, you have a low voltage issue. The fix is fairly easy with a relay and some wire.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
jmascharka
Advanced

It seems to start ok when it's cool. I think the issue is when it gets hot.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Sounds like you are having the voltage drop problem. You might try a new battery, although I did, and still have the problem. I'm gonna go for the big *** wires, next.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phrogs

I'd be careful with leaving my car over phrog's house unattended. It maybe parted out when you return.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
jmascharka
Advanced

I plan to be there at all times, I've heard about how he likes to dismantle cars.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Phrogs once told me that he could have a plenum off in 15 minutes or less.
The rest of the car would only take an hour or so.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

This only took him ten minutes!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown67427
Before you go to all that trouble, locate the big purple wire under the ECM. ***** into it with a voltage meter. If it's less than 10.5 volts, you have a low voltage issue. The fix is fairly easy with a relay and some wire.
After chasing down my no-start problem for years and doing all of the customary changes, battery, starter, VATS, clutch switch bypass, my problem was finally solved with the above solution.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 Won't start

Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
This only took him ten minutes!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM
bobbyhi
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crabs
Do a thread search for "Dreaded No Start"

The answer:

This is what I did with my "no-start" over a year ago and it did the trick. No problems since.....Thanks again Tom for your help!!!!
:
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobbyhi
This is what I did with my "no-start" over a year ago and it did the trick. No problems since.....Thanks again Tom for your help!!!!
:
Bob:

No problem, glad to help.

It's been nearly 2 years since I made my mod and I've *never* had another DREADED NO-START.

I really hated like he!! to cut wires, but at the end of the day it's better to have a car that you can drive than to have a garage queen that you can't trust.

Quick Reply: ZR-1 Won't start