C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Just looked at tire selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What is the benefit of having matched sets? They are already different widths, seeing different contact pressure, and serving different purposes. I don't see the significance of the tread pattern.

I would think as long as the compound is the same, any tires with similar tread design will do the job.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by bldavis11
335/35 17's will fit. The pilot series comes in that size.

When you went with the 335's, did you go up to 285's on the front or stay with 275's?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
What is the benefit of having matched sets? They are already different widths, seeing different contact pressure, and serving different purposes. I don't see the significance of the tread pattern.

I would think as long as the compound is the same, any tires with similar tread design will do the job.

Same predicatable handling characteristics.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Bell Curve
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Well, things are getting even slimmer.

We used to have a selection of 6 matched sets for front and rear for street tires. We are now down to two.

Goodyear F1 GSD3
Vedersteins

The yokohamas are gone as well as the BFG's. There are several tires left in race compounds.
What are the 4 others that no longer make them. I will avoid buying tires from them on my other car.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:31 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Same predicatable handling characteristics.
But you're assuming they'll handle the same despite the differences I listed. I think the actual tread pattern is meaningless. I mean, look at how many tread patterns are out there. There's a few different components, block size, siping, and water channels. They're trying to make the tread patterns look "pretty" for godssake. Maybe they should make the brake pads look pretty too while they're at it.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

So you are saying a BFG KD will have the same break away characteristics as say a Pep Boy Futura?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 AM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Goodyear F1 GSD3 rears (315's) are on national backorder.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

So you are saying a BFG KD will have the same break away characteristics as say a Pep Boy Futura?
I can tell where this is going...
Old 11-16-2007, 08:54 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 4cefed
The Goodyear F1 GSD3 rears (315's) are on national backorder.
I just got a pair from my local G/Y dealer yesterday.....

Will the 335's really fit properly on a OEM salad shooter rear wheel????
Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Greybeard ZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tomtom72

Will the 335's really fit properly on a OEM salad shooter rear wheel????
They need approx. 1 inch more wheel width to sit perfectly (they look a little "pinched"), but a lot of guys have used them on a stock wheel.
They look very cool on a stock wheel that's been widened.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Hi Bob and thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I'm new so I proly didn't express my concerns correctly....for this I apologize!:o

I was being concerned about the tire's side wall hitting/rubbing anything on the suspension and or brake lines.

I didn't even think about making a standard ZR-1 rear wheel an inch wider....didn't know that was possible...I'll bet that'll cost!:o

I guess I'm trying to figure out if going up to 18" wheels or an 18 & 19 combo is the better way to go to have a better shot at long term tire supplies.

Thank you for your input!

Tom
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

No!

I'm saying a 315 GSD3 on the back of a ZR1 will have different characterstics than a 275 GSD3 up front.

Nevermind. You'd obviously rather assume I'm stupid than think about what I said. Sorry I interrupted your wine and cheese session about tire selection.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Nevermind. You'd obviously rather assume I'm stupid than think about what I said. Sorry I interrupted your wine and cheese session about tire selection.
Well based upon your past posts in the ZR1 section... I guess it's never safe to assume.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtom72
Hi Bob and thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I'm new so I proly didn't express my concerns correctly....for this I apologize!:o

I was being concerned about the tire's side wall hitting/rubbing anything on the suspension and or brake lines.

I didn't even think about making a standard ZR-1 rear wheel an inch wider....didn't know that was possible...I'll bet that'll cost!:o

I guess I'm trying to figure out if going up to 18" wheels or an 18 & 19 combo is the better way to go to have a better shot at long term tire supplies.

Thank you for your input!

Tom
I don't know if he necessarily meant you should try to widen your salad shooter. Rather a tire that size is generally mounted on a 12" wheel. However, both the Michelin Pilot Sport and PS2 in 335/35-17 are listed as having an acceptable rim width of 11-13". So it's perfectly within the manufacturers specs to mount it on a stock ZR-1 rear wheel.

I suspect it really wouldn't be much wider at all, as the sidewall will bend a bit and take up some of the slack. Unless you have things very close to the tire, I wouldn't think clearance would be an issue at all.

Sorry I interrupted your wine and cheese session about tire selection.
Thank you!! Do you know how long we've been waiting to for you to say "sorry"?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:09 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Well based upon your past posts in the ZR1 section... I guess it's never safe to assume.
When dealing with him, we never have to assume...he opens his mouth and removes all doubt. The funny thing is, he answered his own question in his first post here and also nobody ever said anything about the tread pattern until he did. I don't know where he got the idea that it was "significant" to any of us in this discussion. A couple of months ago, he wouldn't recognize the difference in tire sizes affecting brake bias...now he makes a big deal of it.

He also said the front and rears serve different purposes...so let's say the fronts provide traction between the car and road, I guess that means the rears don't. No wonder we keep going around and around with this guy. Stupidest post I've read here in a while...this guy just likes to come in here and yank our chain with stupid **** and then hurl insults when confronted. I wasn't going to say anything to him about his first post because it was so stupid and this is exactly what he wants...attention.

I wish the moderators would ban him from the ZR1 section. Everybody makes us happy when they come through here...some when they come in and others when they leave.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Since my father is in the wholesale tire distributorship business, I asked him tonight to make some inquiry with his Goodyear Rep among others and see what the deal is with productivity.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LowFlight
Since my father is in the wholesale tire distributorship business, I asked him tonight to make some inquiry with his Goodyear Rep among others and see what the deal is with productivity.

Since mine are stuck in "back order"........

Get notified of new replies

To Just looked at tire selection

Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LowFlight
Keep us posted Harold
Old 11-16-2007, 07:02 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

I'll question anyone that doesn't think for themselves. I figured this was a forum and people were interested in thinking/learning/discussing. But instead we're expected to just pat each other on the back and agree with each other on everything?

The only one I insulted was Jeffvette, and that was in response to his insulting post. Read my first post that you say was so clear and then read his response about PepBoy Futuras.

Originally Posted by glass slipper
A couple of months ago, he wouldn't recognize the difference in tire sizes affecting brake bias...now he makes a big deal of it.
I had said nothing about brake bias in this thread. Changing tire widths has no effect on brake bias. Even pouring motor oil on the front tires does not affect brake bias. It's a property of the brake component sizing. Now, GM could tune the brake bias differently to take advantage of any added braking potential from different tire options, but they didn't. Those parts are exactly the same for ZR1s and base model J55s.

Originally Posted by glass slipper
He also said the front and rears serve different purposes...so let's say the fronts provide traction between the car and road, I guess that means the rears don't.
Yes, the front and rear tires do serve different purposes because they get loaded differently. Lateral G's, acceleration/braking forces, slip angle, and footprint are all different front vs. rear. Which was my entire point of questioning Jeffvette's gripe.

So everything you just wrote was wrong, yet you call me stupid? I think anyone blindly assuming they have only two choices for tires is stupid.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Since you seem inclined to have this discussion that no one else seems to care about, and the thread has mostly run its course, why not.

So, how many tire manufacturers have you talked to that recommended mixing and matching their different tires front and rear? How many OEMs have done this on new cars? How many race teams run different brands of tires front to rear?

You throw out your think-piece on slip angles and rubber compounds, but where is the real world application? Or are you so far on the leading edge, that no one has caught up to you yet?

There are two street tires made in the OEM size for the rear. Therefore assuming there are two choices for OEM sized tires is not stupid. But no one is saying those are the only choices, read the thread, people are talking about what other sizes can be put on the wheel, like 335/35-17's. So it looks to me like everyone here realizes there are more than just the two choices if they are willing to go outside what was OEM.

Quick Reply: Just looked at tire selection