C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ANyone have experience with one of these

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default ANyone have experience with one of these

I did today....Impressive, dont know of someone ran out of motor or ***** but the Z didnt let me down, hardst its ever worked. Think both of us were when it was all said and done.

That car was pretty damn quick

http://www.forbesautos.com/spec/2007...1/turbo/turbo/

Last edited by cv67; 01-01-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I did today....Impressive, dont know of someone ran out of motor or ***** but the Z didnt let me down, hardst its ever worked. Think both of us were when it was all said and done.
I've never tangled with one but with all the technology advances and a sticker of $90 to $120k, your story of how well your 17 year old ZR1 did made me proud to own one! Thanks for the post.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM
fort94z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My neighbor has a 2002 twin turbo with the x50 package, (extra 50 hp option). ( On a Closed roadway) From a 50 mph roll, I walked him by the top of third gear, 124mph. By 135 it was all over, I think he backed out. He was in shock and till this day he still doesn’t like to talk about it.

My car has headers, port and polished plenum and injector housing, tune.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 PM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

http://www.forbesautos.com/spec/2007...1/turbo/turbo/
Hey Cruisinart..... I ran into one like it last summer on the autobahn when I was in Germany. It passed me like I was standing still......... I was standing still, kind of, as I was driving a rented Opel mini van. I had it topped out at 90mph or maybe kph........I don't remember. I wish I had my ZR1 back then.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You know I was initially tempted to say it was a 997 like this one but it had the tail on it and only the turbo 911 has it Im pretty sure. Whatever one it was it was pretty fast. Didnt get a chance to lok for an emblem my eyes was glued straight ahead

Wait, I was wrong, 997 turbo has a tail. Damn, Im cluless about those cars

Last edited by cv67; 11-18-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM
kmoudy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've never tangled with one, before, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kmoudy
i've never tangled with one, before, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night.

that's crackin me up, maybe it's the six beers I've had
Old 12-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Zproud
Burning Brakes

I got to play with one, (turbo AWD) I had him by a 1/2 car in the 1/4,,,, we had two runs
Old 12-29-2007, 07:05 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Those are incredibly cool cars. A mid-to-late 80's model is on my wishlist for the next couple of years.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We had one at the mile shootout and it did really well. 166 mph every time...

The stock ZR1's were doing 153-155. The Porsche was beating everything under $1M to include the Lambo's and F cars... Well so were the ZR1's...

Cheers,
Ron
Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Way back when, in my crazier days( ), ZR1DUDE had one of the first new style Turbo Porsches in the country(I think it was a 97, but he can verify). All I heard about was how great this car was, it would beat up on his ZR-1, blah blah blah. At the time, I was traveling a lot back and forth to LA for work. I told him that I would layover in Dallas one weekend, and beat his 'Turbo' in the lowly ZR-1 at Ennis. My only request was that the ZR-1 have sticky tires, to 'even' the field as the Turbo had AWD. The stage was set. I Just didn't know there would be an audience.....

It seems most of his friends also had money on the 'turbo.' We drove down to Ennis, and I wasn't sure they'd even allow us to run(it was in the upper 30s on the way down there). Well, they did allow us to run, but I'm not sure there could have been a better day for a ZR-1. There are few times during the year that the rest of the country sees the same 'mineshaft' air that they do out east in the fall. This was one of those days(Feb. in Texas).

I did a wicked 2nd gear burnout, staged, and was off. I could see that I beat it handily, by 8+ cars, but never thought in a million years that the ZR-1 could have turned what it did. As we were heading back up the return road, just prior to the timing tower, Dude pulled up along side of me just smiling/shaking his head. I picked up my slip, and there it was:

11.90*@117.63mph to the Turbos 12.8@112. None of what I deemed, "His Turbo Posse" could believe it either: that a nearly stock 'heavy American POS' could school Porsche's best... I suppose some things never change.. Dude eventually got the turbo down to a 12.4@114 that day, which is pretty damn good for a stock car, back in '97.

He has a video of that run somewhere, but refuses to let me see it...

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock

Last edited by ZR WON; 12-30-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Default The Real Story

[QUOTE=ZR WON;1563376191]Way back when, in my crazier days( ), ZR1DUDE had one of the first new style Turbo Porsches in the country(I think it was a 97, but he can verify).
----

It was a 2001

All I heard about was how great this car was, it would beat up on his ZR-1, blah blah blah.
-------

Actually - you don't seem to remember it so well.

It is one hot car. All around it is much better than the ZR-1 but it should be. So much newer and a lot more money.

At the time, I was traveling a lot back and forth to LA for work. I told him that I would layover in Dallas one weekend, and beat his 'Turbo' in the lowly ZR-1 at Ennis. My only request was that the ZR-1 have sticky tires, to 'even' the field as the Turbo had AWD. The stage was set. I Just didn't know there would be an audience.....

-----

Geez - travel alot? You have probably flown 3 times in your life.

It seems most of his friends also had money on the 'turbo.' We drove down to Ennis, and I wasn't sure they'd even allow us to run(it was in the upper 30s on the way down there). Well, they did allow us to run, but I'm not sure there could have been a better day for a ZR-1. There are few times during the year that the rest of the country sees the same 'mineshaft' air that they do out east in the fall. This was one of those days(Feb. in Texas).

I did a wicked 2nd gear burnout, staged, and was off.
----

He would have never beat his car so hard.

I could see that I beat it handily, by 8+ cars, but never thought in a million years that the ZR-1 could have turned what it did. As we were heading back up the return road, just prior to the timing tower, Dude pulled up along side of me just smiling/shaking his head. I picked up my slip, and there it was:

11.90*@117.63mph to the Turbos 12.8@112. None of what I deemed, "His Turbo Posse" could believe it either: that a nearly stock 'heavy American POS' could school Porsche's best... I suppose some things never change.. Dude eventually got the turbo down to a 12.4@114 that day, which is pretty damn good for a stock car, back in '97.
----

When did I ever say it was a POS? Dude - your stories are like fishing stories.

He has a video of that run somewhere, but refuses to let me see it...
-----

You had a copy of it. I have a copy of it here somewhere.

Why don't you tell them about the rain storm we were going 140mph complete with a rooster tail and your deather grip on the carbon fiber. Would you have ever done that in your ZR-1 (or mine)?

The Turbo is a different kind of car. You kinda figured that out when you took 1/2 lb out of the 2nd gear syncro on the way to the airport. The manuals you can't shift fast without hurting them. The AWD is awesome.

I still have the ZR-1, the turbo is gone.

D.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=cuisinartvette;1562806033]I did today....Impressive, dont know of someone ran out of motor or ***** but the Z didnt let me down, hardst its ever worked. Think both of us were when it was all said and done.

I've had a few for lunch, taste like chicken
Old 12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

When did I ever say it was a POS? Dude - your stories are like fishing stories.

I didn't mean you said it, rather your .com 'entourage.'

Why don't you tell them about the rain storm we were going 140mph complete with a rooster tail and your deather grip on the carbon fiber. Would you have ever done that in your ZR-1 (or mine)?

Now who doesn't remember so good??? I wasn't grabbing the carbon fiber. I was reaching into the back seat to put on my helmet... The true idiot that night was Mark M. running beside us at that speed in an Olds Alero.... Poor Hal.....

I still have the ZR-1, the turbo is gone.

Who say's old age doesn't bring wisdom... I want to see that video.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock

Get notified of new replies

To ANyone have experience with one of these

Quick Reply: ANyone have experience with one of these