C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Thinking a lot about Prototype ZR-1s lately

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

When was the Pearl White one redone??

I remember seeing it at Chevy Vettefest in Chicago in 94?? maybe 95?
or atleast a 89 ZR-1 in Pearl White. I will never forget the car, It was for sale if I recall correctly
Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
The white car was 89 pilot s/n 14

Tyler
I know I put 88/89 because it had 88 Sport Seats in the car. The Tuckers found the car that was made after it and it had 88 seats in it as well, thats the only reason.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tyler, have you ever thought about writing an article, or maybe a series of articles, about each of these mule and prototype cars? I find it fasicnating whenever these threads come up to read the info that some of you all have about them. But I usually can't keep it straight in my head.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Tyler, have you ever thought about writing an article, or maybe a series of articles, about each of these mule and prototype cars? I find it fasicnating whenever these threads come up to read the info that some of you all have about them. But I usually can't keep it straight in my head.
This is really interesting stuff and as an owner, you have some cool insights about it. Hell, I could edit the article for you. I'm a newspaper/magazine reporter and I do luxury car reviews for a Chicago magazine.

DO IT! You know you want to!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40

There's large parts of the story missing. Like, how many of the Pilot cars survive and how many wound in private hands?
Lots of pictures of phase 1-? (at least 5 phases IIRC) of the LT-5, and details of what makes them different. Ron Hanselman could probably provide some really good pictures of the engines he's got, by the way, how did those engines wind up in a warehouse and then eventually to him?
How did some of the test cars wind up in a junkyard in MI?
How many LT-5's failed and were replaced by Chevrolet in that first year when the *only* thing was to R/R the engine and send it back to GM for a replacement? (the exact # isn't mentioned in the HOTB)
Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
MarkP
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

More info here including some cool performance figures for the '89s:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...r1/prototypes/
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crabs

There's large parts of the story missing. Like, how many of the Pilot cars survive and how many wound in private hands?
Lots of pictures of phase 1-? (at least 5 phases IIRC) of the LT-5, and details of what makes them different. Ron Hanselman could probably provide some really good pictures of the engines he's got, by the way, how did those engines wind up in a warehouse and then eventually to him?
How did some of the test cars wind up in a junkyard in MI?
How many LT-5's failed and were replaced by Chevrolet in that first year when the *only* thing was to R/R the engine and send it back to GM for a replacement? (the exact # isn't mentioned in the HOTB)
Ron no longer has those motors. By the time he got them he was the third private party owner. Initially they came up for sale for a insane amount of money, I think Tyler mentioned it first. The first buyer liquidated a lot on ebay, then the second guy did the same thing, then Ron & Jerry bought what was left... then they have sold it to another individual.

Cars wound up everywhere as they were doing testing in the US and in England. What's interesting is GM has changed their destruction policy on vehicles and parts. Ever notice how many prototype parts are in the hands of private collectors? Notice no C5 or C6 stuff exists. Security has cracked down. Currently GM contracts to an outside company who must document the entire destruction process. From begining to end.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Security has cracked down. Currently GM contracts to an outside company who must document the entire destruction process. From begining to end.
If you look at the records they made a ton of LT5/ZR1s as compaired to C5s and C6s, its no wonder they could not keep track of everything.

I think they even video the destruction process.

Tyler

Last edited by Tyler Townsley; 11-29-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

They wern't all coupes.

http://deliquescence.net/~tyler/prot...zr1%20vert.jpg

Tyler
Old 12-31-2007, 02:04 AM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the value of a crushed 89 prototype? Iknow of one that he wants $100,000 for. It is the dark blue 89.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
Dear god, I'd like to find that in a barn
Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djpatrick35

DO IT! You know you want to!
Holy hell you do sound like an editor. Mine used to do that constantly!

Quick Reply: Thinking a lot about Prototype ZR-1s lately