C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

I'm sure you know this but ... just in case

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:09 AM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I'm sure you know this but ... just in case

It looks like another ZR is going to go WAY too cheap on 'that' auction site. The Bk/Gr Florida car is bid to less than 12k w/ 11 hrs left. It is not mine but if I was not way over extended already, it would be at that kind of price. shame.

Last edited by wildanblue; 12-15-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wildanblue
It looks like another ZR is going to go WAY too cheap on 'that' auction site. The Bk/Gr Florida car is bid to less than 12k w/ 11 hrs left. It is not mine but if I was not way over extended already, it would be at that kind of price. shame.

Spoiler

Rough, Rough, Rough

Good parts car or candidate for a fresh paint job. Car has probably been hit.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been watching that, but there may be title issues (Canadian). Sometimes a $18k vette is a better deal than a $12k one! At any rate he needs better pictures. Although, if it's in as good of condition as Cuisinarts, it might be a steal!

Last edited by zr1fred; 12-15-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 AM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Car has probably been hit.
there may be title issues
Ok, now it is starting to be clearer.

Sometimes a $18k vette is a better deal than a $12k one!
I know you are right. Sometimes I have to be reminded of the "Penny-wise - Dollar-foolish" thing. Still, I hate to see one given away.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

While this car does not appeal to me, let's review:
Accident vs no Accident
We do not know. If all cars that were involved in accidents were never sold, very few cars would change hands. Current owner "states" no accidents, so until proven otherwise, it just might be ruff.

Title issues:
Cars move back and forth from Canada to US, as well as state to state.
If his title were flawed he would most likely say what problems there are as getting sued on top of divorce would make life pretty cr#ppy.

My point:
We sometimes are a bit quick to condemn.
Ready, fire, aim is often a poor strategy.
Someone who is stretching to 11k may not be able to go to 15 or 18k to get what I would agree is a far better car.
I see LT1's with similar miles getting this money.
To get a LEGEND for 11 k......
Someone reasonably handy, over time, could turn this car into a better potential investment than the LT-1, in exchange for the effort.

Again, cars in this condition don't excite me; but I bet someone would be jumping up and down to own a ZR-1 for 11k and some change.

As for it's issues..... unknown, but at that price, pretty difficult to go wrong.

The new owner will probably check in with us in a day or two; and we will as usual, congratulate and help the newest member to the club.

I must admit 11k for a ZR-1?

WOW!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

I'm willing to bet that is an accident car - just look at the front bumper alone.

That car needs paint and a ton of other stuff, by the time you are done with it you are better off buying a 18-20k ZR-1
Old 12-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Sihler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it looks that bad, he says the paint is flawless, maybe those pics are bad, or the car is dirty-we all know everything shows on a black car. Of course, there are a lot of dishonest sellers out there, but if paint and the seat are the only real problems with the car, then it would be a steal for a driver car.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sihler
I don't think it looks that bad, he says the paint is flawless, maybe those pics are bad, or the car is dirty-we all know everything shows on a black car. Of course, there are a lot of dishonest sellers out there, but if paint and the seat are the only real problems with the car, then it would be a steal for a driver car.
You have to be kidding, the paint is a 3-5k and the interior ain't cheap either. That and the fact it needs a tune up etc and god knows what else. For probably every 9 out of 10 times you go to buy a cheap vette, you get what you pay for and sometimes worse. By the time you spend all that money you are probably in the 18-20k range and you could have bought an original vette, non-repaint less mileage and overall better car. IF 12k is all someone has for a ZR-1 then they should plain flat out wait until they have the extra $.

I have a saying for Vettes, Pay now or Pay later - your choice ( A cheap Vette = pay later)

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-15-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
You have to be kidding, the paint is a 3-5k and the interior ain't cheap either. That and the fact it needs a tune up etc and god knows what else. For probably ever 9 out of 10 times you go to buy a cheap vette, you get what you pay for and sometimes worse. By the time you spend all that money you are probably in the 18-20k range and you could have bought an original vette, non-repaint less mileage and overall better car.
I completely agree an 18-20k car would be far and away better.
However, if I only had 12k, and could score a ZR-1, as opposed to an LT-1 or an L-98 for around the same cash, and in similar condition, the ZR-1 looks good to me.
Again, like you, I would go with the better car. But if my funds were more limited an 11k King of the Hill ( with LOTS of elbow grease, time, and some $$$, is still what dreams are made of!
Heck, I have seen NCRS Top Flight cars that started out far worse, and over 7-10 years, with lots of love and labor, walk away with ribbons.

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 12-15-2007, 01:43 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Anyone here already look it over?

Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on guys, this is an LT-5, they are indestructible. All I ever hear is Drive It Like you Stole It, Man we really Thrash our Zr-1's and they love it, Drive it like the World Class Super car it really is.
So here is a ZR-1 that has not lived a garaged life and all you can do is trash it? If you really Drive it Like you Stole It, it will pick up paint chips, Curb Rash on the Wheels, etc.
So what if it is not Show Room New, it's still twice the car any other Vette is, ISN'T it?
It seems to me that this is a GREAT chance for somebody to drive a ZR-1 without breaking the bank!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the LT5 we are worried about. It's the nickel and dime bs that is the C4.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Sihler
Racer

Originally Posted by kalister1
Come on guys, this is an LT-5, they are indestructible. All I ever hear is Drive It Like you Stole It, Man we really Thrash our Zr-1's and they love it, Drive it like the World Class Super car it really is.
So here is a ZR-1 that has not lived a garaged life and all you can do is trash it? If you really Drive it Like you Stole It, it will pick up paint chips, Curb Rash on the Wheels, etc.
So what if it is not Show Room New, it's still twice the car any other Vette is, ISN'T it?
It seems to me that this is a GREAT chance for somebody to drive a ZR-1 without breaking the bank!
Plus you can just drive it until you have the funds to fix it. This is, of course, assuming that the seller is honest, which should never be assumed.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:32 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It ended up going for a little over $14K.
While looking I noticed many ZR-1 did NOT meet reserve. Small wonder prices are low these days.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:15 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

It's hard to accurately judge by EBAY, because many of those cars are flawed, and correctly assumed to be. Considering the risk factor of buying unseen, the current market, and the time of year, $14k is not that cheap for that car, especially with the pictures and ad copy. 10k sure got my attention though. I wish the new owner (if there is one) good luck, and I hope he stops in here!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Sihler
Racer

I'd agree, 14k is certainly no steal, especially sight unseen. 11k-12k is another story, though.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
ArcticZR1
Instructor

I can't believe the prices keep dropping. I think the major problem with the price is the ability to purchase parts. I think that 14k sounds like a steal for a decent car. Good luck whomever bought it.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm sure you know this but ... just in case

Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Originally Posted by zr1fred
It's hard to accurately judge by EBAY, because many of those cars are flawed, and correctly assumed to be. Considering the risk factor of buying unseen, the current market, and the time of year, $14k is not that cheap for that car, especially with the pictures and ad copy. 10k sure got my attention though. I wish the new owner (if there is one) good luck, and I hope he stops in here!
They always bid up at the last minute in that 13-14k range.
Trust me, that car was no steal once you got it back into shape.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sihler
I'd agree, 14k is certainly no steal, especially sight unseen. 11k-12k is another story, though.
After winning an Ebay car auction you still have the right to inspection. You don't have to go through with the deal if the car does not check out against the auction listing or the seller's response to questions submitted during the auction.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:33 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Jagdpanzer;1563192983]After winning an Ebay car auction you still have the right to inspection. You don't have to go through with the deal if the car does not check out against the auction listing or the seller's response to questions submitted during the auction.[/QUOTE
YES BUT,...you better make sure the inspection is a GOOD one by someone qualified to do it. Just in case you haven't seen this, or forgot it, following is a link the "Saga of the Kristina ZR1" that always comes to my mind when I hear about a steal-of-a-deal-Corvette on EBAY or from any source...especially from Fla or anyplace near the flooded zones and a CARFAX is only a start of determining the real history of the car...CARFAX ONLY REPORTS WHAT HAS BEEN RECORDED, and is not always accurate!
Read and weep or enjoy if you havn't read this one from JVD's blog http://www.automastersofbg.com/

Quick Reply: I'm sure you know this but ... just in case