C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Those with X-pipes and documented gains

Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Those with X-pipes and documented gains

Do you have cats? If so, I assume the cats are before the x-pipe. What I'm wondering is if everyone who has noted these big gains (12-18hp) didn't have cats.

When searching about what x-pipe will fit the stock pipes without spacing them out further, I found this article:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...xh/index1.html

From it:
Rule number 3 is that if there is room to put a crossover or an X-pipe before the cats, then that's almost always the best place. Anything after the cats will drop the sound level but is unlikely to increase power unless the flow of the mufflers you chose was significantly short of what was needed.
I'm thinking about replacing my resonator (an LT4 unit) with an x-pipe to see if there is power to gain. But I'm wondering if it's worthwhile since I have cats right after the headers.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Which cats are you using?
Any photos on the install would be great.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:47 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I took off the resonator on my 90 and put in a Magnaflow X pipe and noticed a increase the moment I left the Muffler shop. And my Butt DYNO is accurate . I did really notice an increase though. But this is going from the restrictive 90 resonator not the later LT4 resonator. Oh yeah, also have stock exh manifolds (california *****)
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I've put this on here a few times but once more won't hurt. This is a stock '95 baseline then the same car with a Magnaflow 2 1/2 inch x-pipe with Magnaflow mufflers on the same stock car with cats.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Demps
I've put this on here a few times but once more won't hurt. This is a stock '95 baseline then the same car with a Magnaflow 2 1/2 inch x-pipe with Magnaflow mufflers on the same stock car with cats.
I wonder how much was the mufflers? When I took my stock exhaust and replaced the '90 res with an LT4 res, and the mufflers with Dynomax Ultraflows, I gained about 20whp as well. Though your '95 system should have been a bit freer to start with.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
Which cats are you using?
Any photos on the install would be great.
The cats are metallic bullet cats. Haibeck did the work, I think he uses Random Tech but I'm not sure.

The layout is SW headers to bullet cats to stock exhaust piping. But the resonator is replaced with an LT4 one, and the mufflers with Dynomax Ultraflow 3" with stock tips. All the piping is stock.

Some photos before the headers are here: http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/exhaust/

I don't have any post-headers though.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What are Catalytic Converters?

Get notified of new replies

To Those with X-pipes and documented gains

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Those with X-pipes and documented gains