C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

The NEW ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn ZR1 Mike
I'm kinda thinking if GM was smart and reading these posts...invite all current ZR1 owners to a special unveiling. Price of admission is showing your ownership to gain entry and special access. Accordingly, for those able to do so, bring their ZR1's to the event. What say GM??? how about a taste for the REAL ZR1 fanatics who supported you and kept you alive when you turned your back on the King? While I'm not dismissing the new car is spectacular what I do take offense to is referencing the 90-95 ZR1's and their glory of King of the Hill when GM clearly didn't view ZR1 owners as important by refusing to support us shortly thereafter. Time for GM to extend their hand to our cars/owners otherwise I have a suggestion where they can stick this new ZR1.
Comon, the GM guys don't give a **** about what a bunch of [old fat assed dinosaur] <- (the car
) owners think. We're not the target audience. It's interesting they are promoting these cars so far in advance. While I'm sure they're trying to hold off the competition, they run the risk of this car being old news before it even comes out.

Last edited by zr1fred; 12-21-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 AM
ArcticZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way the engine window is going to stay....that looks soooo tacky...
Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn ZR1 Mike
I'm kinda thinking if GM was smart and reading these posts...invite all current ZR1 owners to a special unveiling. Price of admission is showing your ownership to gain entry and special access. Accordingly, for those able to do so, bring their ZR1's to the event. What say GM??? how about a taste for the REAL ZR1 fanatics who supported you and kept you alive when you turned your back on the King? While I'm not dismissing the new car is spectacular what I do take offense to is referencing the 90-95 ZR1's and their glory of King of the Hill when GM clearly didn't view ZR1 owners as important by refusing to support us shortly thereafter. Time for GM to extend their hand to our cars/owners otherwise I have a suggestion where they can stick this new ZR1.

Mike,

Personally, I think that would be a great promotion. I'd go to something like that. NCM would be the perfect venue for that. On the other hand, it may dredge up memories of how GM just dumped the C4 ZR-1
Old 12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Wild Bob
Instructor

Originally Posted by threestar40
The new ZR1 is completely bad *** in every way.
I love it.
It should raise a little awareness of our cars but they are now "the old ZR1" "OH, I thought you had a new one".
Yeah, I don't like plastic engine covers either, but this car is not a pig like ours.
Or maybe it is according to this thread

I had an awesome idea, let's buy one and kick that one off concept VW off the hill for the 24 hour speed record!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a travesty of OUR record. I would love to reclaim it for America in this car.

Who's in?

Who want's to be the next Tommy Morrison?

I would love to be a part of something like that.

I know it would take a team.

Rick
I'm in...drove the C4 ZR-1 at 175 at Talladega...would love to reclaim the record with the new one!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Wild Bob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ArcticZR1
There is no way the engine window is going to stay....that looks soooo tacky...
I called it in March...

http://news.windingroad.com/auto-new...#comment-23744

I think it's sexy...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:13 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Mike,

Personally, I think that would be a great promotion. I'd go to something like that. NCM would be the perfect venue for that. On the other hand, it may dredge up memories of how GM just dumped the C4 ZR-1
15 years from now the C6ers will be crying the same blues. Once they're out of warranty why should GM care when they have your money and you don't? History repeats and will continue to do so.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

The car looks sweet!! But i personally think it should have its own name. Not ZR1.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:39 PM
threestar40
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Bob
I'm in...drove the C4 ZR-1 at 175 at Talladega...would love to reclaim the record with the new one!
Anyone know the estimated top speed of the new ZR1?

Is this new drivetrain even capable of doing what we did in '90?

Rick
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

........................................ ........................................ ..........

Rick
I wish it could, that would seem to be a natural progression but if I am understanding correctly there is a problem at major distances with superchargers due to "heat soak". I hope I am wrong but I will have to leave it up to someone more experienced/knowledgeable than me to explain it.

Last edited by solid dobe; 12-21-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: I have GOT to stop posting and drinking at the same time
Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know the estimated top speed of the new ZR1?

Rick
GM says max speed is 200+. Probably 210+. 6th is good to 230!

200mph comes at 5700rpm in 6th.

Here's a good post on the LS9 engine.
The LS9 won't be getting its final certification until about March, but so far GM has put over 6,800 dyno hours on the new engine. They have run an engine for 100 hours continuously at wide open throttle and done both simulated and real 24-hour track cycles similar to what the GT1 C6.Rs run on the dyno and in the car. Thanks to the extensive simulation and modeling done prior to building any parts, the engines have been remarkably reliable. To date, through three years of development, they have never had a failed piston, connecting rod or crankshaft in testing.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:44 AM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's a good post on the LS9 engine.[/QUOTE]

All I can say is WOW!

"Heart of Son of a Beast"
Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Peaven
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by linutux
GM says max speed is 200+. Probably 210+. 6th is good to 230!

200mph comes at 5700rpm in 6th.

Here's a good post on the LS9 engine.
That's impressive, guess we'll see how history measures the LS9 over the coming years...I wish it didn't look like an Easybake oven.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Peaven
That's impressive, guess we'll see how history measures the LS9 over the coming years...I wish it didn't look like an Easybake oven.
Good god, how true! Dump that stupid *** plastic cover! If the Corvette can learn anything from Ferrari, it's how to display motors in cars! Lose the damn plastic and show the machination of the motor!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
Good god, how true! Dump that stupid *** plastic cover! If the Corvette can learn anything from Ferrari, it's how to display motors in cars! Lose the damn plastic and show the machination of the motor!
Great Point!

The aftermarket might come up with some alternatives that look better....sure wouldn't be hard to improve on whats there :-)

I read in AW that the first 2009 ZR1 will be at Barret Jackson this January, the money it raise is going to charity...I'll be there and take some pictures of the KOTH

Any guesses on how much it will go for .....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: The NEW ZR1