C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Sumitomo's

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ZF Six
It's because the Goodyears have what is called a rim protector. The tire comes out past the rim to protect it against curb rash etc.

Sumitomo's are too cheap to invest that kind of technology into their tires. I've been in the tire business for a little over 2 years and personally would never buy a Sumitomo tire. Bad quality.
Seems to me a rim protector would be nessasary for those that don't know where their wheels are when parking the car.

As far as being to cheap to develop the "technology" of a sidewall with curbs in mind... I don't think that detail made the priority list when they designed the tire.

As far as bad quality tires go... every tire company makes a tire that gets rejected at the tire store for a bad sidewall or some other defect that was missed at the plant. Just ask any tire store manager if they ever recieve a brand new bad tire.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by phrogs
Im not talking snow My big thing is Rain I do drive my car in the rain and on these tires where I live they are like driving on snow.

Maybe the boys in the pacific north west have roads made from somthing different and these tires work well for them and how much rain do you get in Reno?

In the desert im sure they are a great tire but the weather changes here and this tire doesnt like the changes that happen.

Maybe im just harder on tires than I think I dont know but people ask about these and I give my side. Just having some fun with the they suck song

yes Great tire for the money but I wont buy them again and another thing if you do a search on Sumitomo's you will see I am not the only hater some love them some don't I don't.
I think yoy may have other issues like alignment etc
On my Sumis Driving in the rain is just like driving in the rain with The Goodyears that were on it before maybe even a little better
I wanted Goodyears but couldnt afford them at the time
I was prepared to not like the Sumis
They dont like cold very much but no performance tire does
and 4 tires for nearly what ONE Goodyear costs just rocks
Old 12-31-2007, 11:48 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ZF Six
I've been in the tire business for a little over 2 years and personally would never buy a Sumitomo tire. Bad quality.
Based on what?????
Other than a hidden agenda
The crappiest tires now are better than the best tires of 15 years ago
Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
Seems to me a rim protector would be nessasary for those that don't know where their wheels are when parking the car.

As far as being to cheap to develop the "technology" of a sidewall with curbs in mind... I don't think that detail made the priority list when they designed the tire.

As far as bad quality tires go... every tire company makes a tire that gets rejected at the tire store for a bad sidewall or some other defect that was missed at the plant. Just ask any tire store manager if they ever recieve a brand new bad tire.
You think your distressed about Sumi's ? I invented the curb feeler !

Quick Reply: Sumitomo's