C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Interesting view on the new Z from our Ferrari friends

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
90 zr-1 206mph
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clarify that, this car was built by Bob Norwood a man that holds 137 world records for automobiles known as the king of Ferrari's and the "Mad Scientist" in general. The car is owned by a multi million air that will throw so much money at the car it will make you sick. It would be hard to make better than this and Bob if anyone would be the one to do it. Does that help answer your question?

Last edited by 90 zr-1 206mph; 01-23-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

90 ZR1 206MPH,

Did you ever sell your Z? I think I was looking at it before, but couldn't firm up for someone to look at it, then I found a low miler near my house. I believe your car was owned by a well known TV news Dr if I recall.

Just Curious, it was well-priced if I remember

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
ItalianSausage
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyL
This quote is just classic

The one good thing about FERARRI is the people that buy them are exactly like the car.... In love with themselves, have a false feeling of self worth, all muscled-up to cover other inadequacies, on steroids, lacking class, do things to impress others rather than for themselves, wiggle their *** too much and do it just in case some other guy is watching and they decide to go that way(anyone who will comment on their *** will suffice to give them a bit of acceptance), act refined but in reality are cheap kinda like a trailer owner who splurges on a bottle of Asti-Spumanti, are only good for about 10 minutes until you realize their true shallow personality, they rattle and squeak about themselves so much that you just cant bare to listen to them any longer, they keep going to the gym to get even more buff in hopes that someday someone will love them for their bodies when in reality, they are just a soulless shell and the only one who will ever love them is someone who doesn't know what love means.

As a Ferrari owner... To clear up a few things:

- most of the people FChat do not own a Ferrari. The good people, the serious collectors do not hang out on chat boards.

- those that do own the Magnum PI car and have time on their hands.

- most people owning the newer high $$ Ferraris have a lot of respect for Corvettes and most all will agree it is the best bang for the buck on a lot of levels. I rarely hear criticism from serious car people.

- most people I know that own Ferraris do not own them for show. They simply are huge fans of Formula 1 racing, it is their opinion they are owning a piece of interactive art, they like the history of the brand, etc. It can not be explained, it is just an attraction.

There are always the odd few in any car category that give the brand a bad name.

I think the opinions expressed are little off...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ItalianSausage

- most of the people FChat do not own a Ferrari. The good people, the serious collectors do not hang out on chat boards.

- those that do own the Magnum PI car and have time on their hands.

- most people owning the newer high $$ Ferraris have a lot of respect for Corvettes and most all will agree it is the best bang for the buck on a lot of levels. I rarely hear criticism from serious car people.

- most people I know that own Ferraris do not own them for show. They simply are huge fans of Formula 1 racing, it is their opinion they are owning a piece of interactive art, they like the history of the brand, etc. It can not be explained, it is just an attraction.

There are always the odd few in any car category that give the brand a bad name.

I think the opinions expressed are little off...
I agree, the guy who sold me my C5 had a Ferrari. Super Nice Guy
Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

I agree Ferrari is a great car, I think if you look at the quote that is a paraphrase of what someone on F-CHAT posted about Corvette people and then Tommy L substituted the word Ferrari for Corvette in the original quote.

Most Z owners are car lovers in general....I would love to get together with some local Chicago Ferrari owners and do an auto X or Drags for kicks. Kind of revists the entire purpose of the Z....to compete against the supercars of its time. There is a pretty sweet 512TR that I see in our neck of the woods from time to time. Barrington, Il also puts on a great cat show, I saw 3 Boxers there last year.....very nice!

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 PM
90 zr-1 206mph
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I sold the car for only 16k and now I want another one back. I do though have a mint 98 torch red on black C5 6 spd which I planning on making twin turbo but I dont know I might even trade it for another ZR-1.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 90 zr-1 206mph
To clarify that, this car was built by Bob Norwood a man that holds 137 world records for automobiles known as the king of Ferrari's and the "Mad Scientist" in general. The car is owned by a multi million air that will throw so much money at the car it will make you sick. It would be hard to make better than this and Bob if anyone would be the one to do it. Does that help answer your question?
If you were asking me... yes, that answers my question... thanks

Now... about throwing money at a car till it makes a person sick... That would only be true in my opinion if the money didn't make the car faster, safer, or sharper looking. Almost forgot, "durability" counts for a lot also. I also like it when a guy has so much money he can have a replacement frame made out of titaintium and take a 100 or more pounds out of the car. I dream about $22,000 flat plane cranks for my LT5. I dream about all the good carbon fiber stuff to.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 AM
ItalianSausage
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just think to some extent there is a bit of a difference in design philosophy from the Corvettes (especially older) to the Ferrari. American vs. European. The one thing the Ferrari is special about is the lap time on a road course. It brakes, accelerates, turns in, corners, transitions left to right, etc. and does all of these things very very well. Not best in category for any one thing, but very very well in all. It is also easy to get in and go fast from the beginning. Combine all of the qualities and it strings together very fast road course lap times. I have perceived the Corvette to be more of a straight line car, or a drag car, more about the acceleration and power than about lap times on a road course. So, to some extent, this makes them 2 cars designed for different purposes and hard to compare. I would admit that Ferraris have been underpowered at some times, but handled well, and Corvettes are well powered but don't handle as well. The more recent Corvettes are making a serious run at being a more balanced car for the road racing course, and Ferraris are upping the power.

Last edited by ItalianSausage; 01-25-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

My Uncle has an F430. He jsut brought it in to have $50,000. in upgrades done to it...... That much in upgrades to the new ZR1 or a late Z06 will get you plenty of handling
Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just think to some extent there is a bit of a difference in design philosophy from the Corvettes (especially older) to the Ferrari. American vs. European. <snip> I have perceived the Corvette to be more of a straight line car, or a drag car, more about the acceleration and power than about lap times on a road course.
I don't know what you consider recent vs historically. But I'd say that changed at least with the 1984 Corvette. That car clearly had significant development spent on the suspension, the brakes, and the chassis, and not as much spent on the cross-fire motor that powered it.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

- most of- those that do own the Magnum PI car and have time on their hands.

Does this mean that if I have a 308 Mangnum car that im not a serious ferrari fan and im just a poor loser? thats what it sounds like when you refer to the 308 as the MPI car. Or does it mean we just have more problems because are cars are older?

Im sorry I cant afford a new $240,000 dollar Ferrari even thought Im responsible for over $1BILLION dollars in aircraft. Funny how it works

I have 12 aircraft 12 thats one dozen aircraft worth 1billion and I make less than $50,000 a year to keep them flying and to fly on them

But I still have a ferrari and 2 corvettes

If I was supper rich I would have a carbed 512BB and a F40 after that Im not sure what ferraris I would get I just know I love those models

Quick Reply: Interesting view on the new Z from our Ferrari friends