C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

SCCA Solo rules and ZR-1s

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 AM
batchman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Solo rules and ZR-1s

I've proposed a rule change to the benefit of ZR-1s, if anyone's interested I could use some help.

Race-tire'd Autocross in SCCA rules basically moves from Stock class (very limited mods), to Street Prepared (good level of mods), to Street Mod (getting darn wild). Most of the modded ZR-1s I've seen would more or less fit into Street Prepared.

ZR-1s don't do terrifically well in stock class, IMHO due to soft-ish springs and needing more front tire for the weight. These can be fixed in Street Prepared within the rules. Catch is they can be fixed on Gran Sport as well and there's an interesting gimme in S(treet)P(repared) - you can update/backdate within a model run. But wait, there's a catch - there's always a catch! The current rules list C4 as one model run, and ZR-1 as another. The short story is that the early quick steering rack (excellent choice for autox) is available to GS but not ZR-1, and the 3.54 gear is available to all C4s except ZR-1.

For a long time the C4 has been very competitive, at times dominant, in Stock class (AStock) and in BSP (B Street Prepared). I think the natural place for a ZR-1 will be BSP as the mods there are pretty much common and/or reversible. I think the ZR-1 should be competitive, or at least close, even on the national level, but I don't think it can be without update/backdate.

I have proposed bringing the ZR-1 into the C4 group (by deleting the line item seperating them), and have passed the first hurdle - the rule has been circulated for comment. Now it'll depend on the comments the board receives.

If you've autocrossed your ZR-1 and been frustrated by the SCCA class rules, here's a chance to improve them in your favor. If you've done springs/shocks/swaybars and maybe headers/lid even port/polish (up to the injector), you're really about there in B Street Prepared. To take it the next notch is weight reduction stuff - pulling stereo, A/C, lightweight battery, lighter seats.

If you might try autocrossing, perhaps again if you've been frustrated before, more likely if the rules were more favorable, then I'd really love some support. A hope of increasing participation would be a plus for getting the rule changed.

I figure I've bent your ears enough for one post, if there's some interest then I'll post more.

Thanks for listening,
- Jeff
Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm interested, but it's been a long time since I've run an SCCA event because the rules and course layouts are very unfavorable to ZR1s. I concentrate on NCCC autoX but could be enticed back to SCCA with some changes. Let us know how it works out as that is the stupidest rule I've ever seen...especially in light of the fact of so many people saying the ZR1 is just a C4 with a different engine.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

No offense, but my beloved ZR is a relative pig compared to some other cars (like the rally cars) in BSP. My personal car would only be legal in SM2 & the slaughter it would endure would be catastrophic
I love my car like no other, but would not consider attempting to make it competitive in Solo...

I'm a hard-core Solo-type & proudly campaign an SM Evo VIII that is being developed into a true giant-killer...

To give you an example, here was how it did @ my last event in a very competitive club--this was the top 20:

http://n.b5z.net/i/u/6145553/i/results/Jan08Top20_.htm

I have seen the light & it's AWD!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 AM
batchman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

I figure getting the C4s all listed together make BSP a whole lot more practical for the ZR-1, won't be a class leader (until the rally cars move) but I'd bet on some courses it could be another C4 to have (besides GS).

I think most owners won't even try in the current situation. If even a few tried again, even only regionally or National Tour or Pro event here/there, then my aim was good. If a couple folks who might try wrote a letter (even non-members) it'd be more likely to happen.

Fully SP prepped I think the ZR-1 will fall 75 to 100 lbs heavy compared to similarly prepped GS. That's well within the realm of the driver or the course making the difference. I also think there's no reason a reasonably tuned ZR-1 can't be competitive on a regional basis, but the quick rack is pretty much mandatory.

The good news about Street Prepared is the mods are readily reversible (well, except for port/polish). Not so easy in SM2. When the rule was written the ZR-1 was the Z06 of its day - the appearance of the GS made excluding the ZR-1 obsolete. I'd like to get the rule changed so a ZR-1 could at least come play.

If anyone supports the idea, I'd love it if you would send an email to the Solo Events Board (seb "at" scca "dot" com) and reference request 07-431, to combine the ZR-1 with the other C4s on the same line item. To be effective it's got to be more than "I agree", but I'd sure appreciate the time.

PS to glass slipper, I hear you on the rules and the courses. But I've come to realize something about their course designs - they allow the different lines needed by the wildly diverse cars. I've not run NCCC but have noticed most of the marque specific clubs run courses set up for the kind of line their cars need. The SCCA appears different, the line you need is there, just less obvious.

PS to GTB/ZR-1 - those Evos are darn stout. I've been watching Mark Daddio a long time - he runs in my region. Wow. But I'm not sure the rally cars will be in BSP forever, and either way, shouldn't the ZR-1 be allowed to be another C4 to have?

Thanks for listening!
- Jeff
NER FS #6, eyeing BSP

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo rules and ZR-1s

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo rules and ZR-1s