C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Wanted: Input for New Corvette Garage/Shop

Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Wanted: Input for New Corvette Garage/Shop

When I thought about who to ask about cool & functional advice for a new garage/shop building that I'm going to build here at home, my first thought was "everyone!" Who would know better than you guys.

Here's the basic floor plan.

It's wood framed, sheetrocked, 12 ft walls, cathedral ceiling under 10/12 pitch, clear span roof. It will have a load bearing storage loft over the "trailer bay." I have the following stuff that will go in the new shop;

4 post lift
Macsimizer class IIM superstation tool box
custom built, 8' x 3' steel shop table
3 engine stands
cherry-picker engine hoist
54 drawer bolt bin
refrigerator/freezer
TIG welder
drill press

I'm particularly interested in how to finish the floor so it will look great, be easy to clean spills, impervious to gasoline & other automotive type fluids.

I plan to decorate the shop with show plaques, neat pictures, banners, posters and parts like the LT5 cam cover Jeff did for me.

Thanks to everyone for all of your input!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:33 PM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry, some interesting stuff here: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/foru...d.php?t=100923
Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 PM
A26B
Drifting

Originally Posted by A1990
Jerry, some interesting stuff here: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/foru...d.php?t=100923
Thanks Dennis!! I didn't know about that, appreciate it.

See you in BG again this year??
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 PM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A26B
I plan to decorate the shop with show plaques, neat pictures, banners, posters and parts like the LT5 cam cover Jeff did for me.

!
I'm not positive but I think Jeff posted a pic a couple years ago of his speedo @ 198 mph. A blow up of that on the wall would be pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
C1ANDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in the electrical business, I just had my guys wire my shop a couple of weeks ago so I know what you are going through. First, put in plenty of electrical receptacles! I even have a couple of reel receptacle/lights hanging from the ceiling. You will not believe how much you use them, especally when you are under a car on your lift. Also, a 230V plug on each wall for your welder so you don't have to have such a long cord, and finally, do not scrimp on the lighting! If you think you have enough, put a couple more! My shop is 40'X50" and I put 16 of those 8' T8 flourescent (small bulb) fixtures in and it looks great. It is much easier to do electrical work when the building is built rather than retrofitting because you forgot something later. Sorry for the long post, maybe this helps.

Jason
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 PM
A26B
Drifting

Jason,
Great info. I have 20 of the same light fixtures in my 40 x 50, but never considered the extra 220v welder outlets...great suggestion. I was going to put a couple of air hose reels in but for some reason, never thought about the light cord reels. I have 115v outlets every 10ft with extra by workbench. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Where's the sink?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 PM
A26B
Drifting

Originally Posted by bldavis11
Where's the sink?
The one in the bathroom will be a deep stainless.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Trizney
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why a 4 post lift?

I have never used anything other then 2 posts, and I don't ever see using anything other.

Only time I see using a 4 post is for an alignment machine.

just wondering??
Old 01-19-2008, 02:13 AM
A26B
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trizney
Why a 4 post lift?

I have never used anything other then 2 posts, and I don't ever see using anything other.

Only time I see using a 4 post is for an alignment machine.

just wondering??
I bought it originally to be able to park another Vette underneath in the same stall of my garage. Works fine for me & don't plan to buy another.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:57 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, looks great to me; "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". I'm just a poor guy struggling in Hawaii.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 AM
IowaZR1
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I can't really make out your dimensions but having pulling a trailer alot and backing into a confinned space can try your patience, I'd make that door as wide as possible. I'd also put a window looking out into the garage area from your office and another sliding door up front between the trailer storage and garage. Any thoughts on creature comforts aka as heating and a/c? I put all my ductwork above my ceiling. And the side exit door unless your house was on that side I would move it to the front.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

dave bright is a dealer for the flooring systems, you might get in touch with him and ask advice.

I also like the epoxy coat with the sprinkles in it for traction.

it's an economical alternative for a big garage.

the one thing I have that doesn't fit your current design but I really like is I have a garage door at the back so I can "pull through" and stash cars in the back yard behind the fence.

very handy for getting yard work done too.

great setup jerry, looks good!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:23 AM
A26B
Drifting

Originally Posted by IowaZR1
I can't really make out your dimensions but having pulling a trailer alot and backing into a confined space can try your patience, I'd make that door as wide as possible.
The door is 12' wide.

I'd also put a window looking out into the garage area from your office and another sliding door up front between the trailer storage and garage.
The office/garage window would be great except I have tools all along that wall on the garage side. Can't figure out a better place to put them. Maybe I can put the window higher than normal, but would require standing to see out. Better than nothing?

Any thoughts on creature comforts aka as heating and a/c? I put all my ductwork above my ceiling.
Yep! will have HVAC. The central unit sits in the loft area & ducting will be exposed due to cathedral ceiling.

And the side exit door unless your house was on that side I would move it to the front.
You got it....house is on the side where the door is.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Make sure you get a good parts cleaning machine/sink like one from Zep or Saftey-Kleen. I wish I had one many times....I use a pan, with solvent in it and a parts cleaning brush

Are you running hard air lines on the walls, or just a compressor & a soft hose? I use the latter set-up, which works, but having the lines run around the shop with nipples is more convienent and is more professional.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
A26B
Drifting

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR1
Wow, looks great to me; "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". I'm just a poor guy struggling in Hawaii.
While you're on the beach, some of the rest of us have snow & ice and 105+ heat.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 AM
A26B
Drifting

Originally Posted by 81c3
Make sure you get a good parts cleaning machine/sink like one from Zep or Saftey-Kleen. I wish I had one many times....I use a pan, with solvent in it and a parts cleaning brush
You work on dirty cars?? Great idea, hadn't thought of that yet. Will do!

Are you running hard air lines on the walls, or just a compressor & a soft hose? I use the latter set-up, which works, but having the lines run around the shop with nipples is more convienent and is more professional.
The plan is to put the compressor in the top left corner of the trailer bay with a folding wall for more noise supression. Hard lines will be run to two hose reels, one on each side of the bay area.

Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To Wanted: Input for New Corvette Garage/Shop

Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A26B
Thanks Dennis!! I didn't know about that, appreciate it.

See you in BG again this year??
Yes sir
Old 01-19-2008, 11:12 AM
DMark
Drifting

Great plan - A Real "MAN CAVE."

Only addition should be a pullout sofa & hotplate for when the wife puts you in the Dog House.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Triple White 92
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the garage/shop side, I would get rid of the traditional garage door opener and put in a jack shaft opener. This mounts on the wall next to the door and uses the spring shaft to open the door. Depending on the angle of your ceiling, you can route the door in a more vertical direction instead of into your garage. It give you more space to place your 4 post lift with the opener out of the way. That is what I did in my garage addition and I love it. The opener is twice the price of a standard opener but worth it in my opinion.

Mike Boggs
92 C4 Convert.
97 C5 Coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanted: Input for New Corvette Garage/Shop