C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Performance Variations

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:20 AM
DeadPurpleDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Variations

Have been searching for a ZR1 and something I keep hearing is that the cars(similarly equipped) can perform very differently and that that's the nature of the engines. Is this true, or are the cars, for practical purposes, really similar? If true, when purchasing long distance, is there any way to tell?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It seemed to me like magazines in the 90's started that. My guess is it's more that those guys don't know how to launch high-powered cars very well, and thus had fairly inconsistent times. The engines were pretty carefully checked and assembled.

From what I've seen of owners who have drag raced them, the times they put down don't seem to vary too widely, especially the trap speeds.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 PM
DeadPurpleDog
Instructor

Thanks Aurora40, that's helpful. I haven't been able to find what I want in So Cal and am trying to sift through them long distance.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
terryszr1
Racer

let the guys know what your looking for and they might be able to help you . i have 2 z and when i dynod them stk one had 331.9 rwhp and the other 337.6 both had over 100k on them and going strong . these are great motors built to last
Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 PM
DeadPurpleDog
Instructor

Never had a car dyno'd, Terry. I'm having local Chevy deale3rs check out the cars I'm interested in. . can they do a dyno checks. . and can they be done without any risk to the cars?. . the owners are understandably touchy
Old 01-19-2008, 01:13 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

I think what DeadPurpleDog is referring to is people talk about the cam timing on these cars. Depending on the cam timing from the factory you could have a car with more low end tq, mid range, or upper rpm hp.

Like others have said you could have the car dynoed, that will give a little idea but not everyone is going to be able to take their car to the dyno. Again every car is different so have fun.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
DeadPurpleDog
Instructor

Didn't know cam timing was possible and has that effect. I spoke with the people at Guldstrand and they said the main challenge with these engines is at lower RPM's, and said a huge difference can be achieved through changing the gearing. Do you agree?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE385
I think what DeadPurpleDog is referring to is people talk about the cam timing on these cars. Depending on the cam timing from the factory you could have a car with more low end tq, mid range, or upper rpm hp.

Like others have said you could have the car dynoed, that will give a little idea but not everyone is going to be able to take their car to the dyno. Again every car is different so have fun.
Anything can happen on a dyno but I wouldn't sweat it

These engines are bullet proof.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:43 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadPurpleDog
Didn't know cam timing was possible and has that effect. I spoke with the people at Guldstrand and they said the main challenge with these engines is at lower RPM's, and said a huge difference can be achieved through changing the gearing. Do you agree?
Absolutely... 4.10 gearing really wake the cars up. The stock 3.45 gear is a bit tall for the admittedly heavy, somewhat peaky car.

An equally responsive performance mod is, long tubes & an X-pipe--approx 30HP or more
Old 01-19-2008, 04:04 PM
DeadPurpleDog
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestion. . is this a very expensive mod?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Just like GTB said, 4:10's will really wake the car up.

Its not that expensive but like its been said, long tube headers, exhaust, gears, and chip will totally change the performance of the car. The cost is appox. $3,500 depending on labor and its well worth it.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LPE385
I recall Marc H had mentioned that using the cam timing pins, I think you could have about 2* or so of variation? He mentioned that you could probably have about a 10hp spread depending on how the exhaust and intakes ended up relative to each other. I don't recall the degrees as much as I recall the power difference he mentioned.

Some of the magazines made it sound like the motors made anywhere from 350hp to 450hp. They had some wildly different 1/4 mile times from 12.8's to 13.6's. I suspect this really is because many don't make any adjustments for ambient conditions, and because many of them can't drive for crap. I'd love to see magazines include 60' times with their 1/4 mile times.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:32 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Yes, you can change cam timing as far as intake/exhaust centerline and lobe separation angle (your choice of two of the three) but not duration (advertised or .050"). I don't know who you spoke to at Guldstrand, but these engines are not your typical DOHC engine with no power at lower RPMs. With the secondary system on the LT5, they pull like a tractor at low RPMs. If you want proof, I'll give you a ride in my bone stock '93 and take it down to 25 MPH in 6th (~500 RPM) and let you see how smoothly it pulls away...no bucking, hesitation, coughing, sputtering, lugging or anything. Just amazing!
Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 AM
terryszr1
Racer

if one od us gave you a ride ,you would undersyand why we all have one of these.feeling very lucky to own a piece of history. the acceleration is what gives us : and nothing sounds like it . where are you in so cal . maybe one of us could give you a first hand demo. we love showing off .my blk car has a fully ported 350 410 gears and has run 11.57@!@123.6 @famoso in bakersfield
Old 01-20-2008, 09:55 AM
DeadPurpleDog
Instructor

Wow. . what a generous offer, Terry. This is my first post here and I could not have guessed at what a warm, welcoming group you are! I'm in Orange County and travel all over Southern California weekly.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I don't know who you spoke to at Guldstrand, but these engines are not your typical DOHC engine with no power at lower RPMs. With the secondary system on the LT5, they pull like a tractor at low RPMs.
The LT5 had more torque than the L98 at every rpm point.

That said, with the very wide rpm range, they certainly can use more gear in the rear.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 AM
terryszr1
Racer

I will be in orange co on tues cking out the tune on my car to get ready for famoso feb 15 -16 test and tune. if youd like maybe we can meet somewhere for a little fun drive. pm me what might be a good time for you .the only trouble will be i think you will get a jones to own one for yourself .

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Variations

Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM
terryszr1
Racer

will be leaving for la about 10 am. please pm me if youd like to meet
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
DeadPurpleDog
Instructor

Thanks, again, for your generous offer. I'd enjoy experiencing your ZR1. Unfortunately I'm struggling to recover from a nasty bout of the flu and am still trying to run a business from home in between coughs and sneezes! Thanks, again, and best wishes for a safe journey!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Most variations are due to the driver not being used to driving a high RPM, DOHC, 4 valve engine

Quick Reply: Performance Variations