C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 question

Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by *89x2*
In my B2K owners manual, I can't find anything in maintenance that jumps out over and above what I do for my regular L98 Vette.

Since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, please do not use generalizations when trying to make your point(s).
My post and the one above were in reference to the maintenance of a B2K versus a ZR1...not an L98.

But you go ahead and run that turbo motor for 7500 miles on an oil change and 100K on the same spark plugs and we'll see how long it lasts. The reason I bought a ZR1 instead of a B2K is because I not only drive my ZR1 but I've regularly raced it for over 15 years and don't hesitate bouncing it off the 7100 RPM rev limiter. I wanted an engine with proven durability and the LT5's 400 hour test was good enough for me. The B2K has nothing except a lot of engines with rods through the block.

Since you clearly have comprehension problems, please don't bother with any pointless responses.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
My post and the one above were in reference to the maintenance of a B2K versus a ZR1...not an L98.
While I have maintained L98s and the B2K, I have not had any reason to get down and dirty with an LT5. Aurora40 (Bob) has, and I think he clarified much of the that people like you spew

Rods through the blocks, get over yourself. How many times has this happened? On the one instance I saw this, it was clearly abuse on the car. There have been others I am sure, but a fraction of issues complared to those that plagued early LT5s, rendering them a pile of boat anchors on shipping pallets

Please, stop talking, the lights are dimming Go back and re-read Bob's post. He gets it
Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I can't say I've ever maintained a B2K... But my guess is that sort of stuff would be a wash. It seems like some people "find" performance in their B2K by replacing a lot of the hoses and such. ZR-1's do it by replacing injectors and fixing the vacuum system. They both have these "age" related issues, and once fixed they really are not an issue again. Getting a car where the previous owner was proactive about this stuff is a plus for both cars.

For maintenance, things like oil changes are probably similar, though the Callaway won't puke oil all over the place if you change the filter right after driving it, and you can pre-fill the filter prior to installation. Spark plugs are probably harder on the B2K, but wires are harder on the LT5. Coolant changes are probably exactly the same. B2K's have oil and coolant lines to the turbos that can leak. LT5's have the oil lines to the oil cooler that can leak.

You could view removing the intercoolers as a pain before doing some maintenance. The same could be said for removing the intake plenum on the Z. I suspect with both once you've done it once or twice it's not a big deal.

Really, that stuff seems like a wash. They both have their quirks. Thankfully they both also have a great owner base there to help.

Bob, clearly, you get it. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Several Corvette owners that own both of these cars, gotta believe there is a reason for that! I enjoy talking with 98% of owners from both groups because they are helpful and very knowledgeable about their cars!!! I still would like to belong to the both group !
Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Captain America
O.K. brothers, I didn't want to cause problems. But I finally did it and picked her up today. 100 miles of pure joy all the way home. I know my personality and realize I wouldn't drive the callaway to work,ect like I will the ZR1. From all of everyones posts on all the forums I get the idea that the callaways are more of a high maint. supermodel and the ZR1 is an all american girl. I plan on getting the upgrade chip and the hurst shifter and should be good to go. By the way, if I had more room, I would also buy the supermodel.
Congrats on your new purchase! Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But you go ahead and run that turbo motor for 7500 miles on an oil change and 100K on the same spark plugs and we'll see how long it lasts.
To be fair, the ZR-1 did not come with platinum plugs until 1993. So most ZR-1's had a shorter spark plug change interval, I believe 30k miles, though I don't recall exactly offhand. I am not aware of the B2K recommended interval though.

For oil changes, also to be fair, the ZR-1 takes almost twice as much oil at a change ~9 quarts vs ~4.5 for the L98 and B2K. So it's not unreasonable to expect the additives and such will last longer. Though I suspect most Z owners change their oil at 3,000 miles in spite of the recommendation. I tend to change mine once a year, which is ~4-5k miles on it.

That said, I can appreciate what you are saying that generally turbo cars can be harder on plugs and oil. But I suspect for most people, even for those looking for a daily driver, maintenance is just the cost of doing business with a car you love to drive. Not really a differentiator between different cars. Though to each their own, of course.

To the original poster, and on topic, congrats on the purchase!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
ZO6R1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all your post I can assume most of us would love to have both and I am sure a few of you do. It shows how much respect both cars have. The older I get, the more I realize not all thing get better with newer models. . I wish I could have driven a callaway just to see how they compare on the road. Every car I have driven seems to have a different personality. The ZR-1 is unique just like the Callaway. I want to thank all of you for all the good info you have shared with me over the last week. I feel I am getting a new car with a crystal ball to let me know ahead of time of any issues on repairs and maint. I doesn't get any better than that. On my list are: oil cooler line fix, chip, short shifter and air bag fix. I will post some pictures after I catch up. If any of you are near Smithfield, NC drop on by.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:01 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Seeing that my name popped up here a couple of times I figured I would respond and hopefully put some of this to bed, despite the fact the OP already bought a car.

Congrats on the purchase btw.

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Several years ago, I had the same decision, Callaway or Z. Nothing against the Callaway, but in my opinion, it's not in the same league.
What experience is your opinion based on? My guess is you haven't been in an 88+ Callaway before.

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
Forum member "SurfnSun" had an '88 Calloway TT; I would definitely get his input. Personally, I like the looks of the Z better, as well as the unbelievable LT-5 mill. The LT-5 was the deal sealer for me.
I too like the wide azz of the ZR1. But the sound of spooling turbos followed buy a torque rush unlike anything you've ever felt its just other worldly.

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
I'd say the 90's are high 20's to low 30's.

I think the ZR-1 is less maintenance and of course you have the LT-5.

The Callaway is an amazing car and the engine looks awesome. The Callaway is a more collectible car however I feel its higher maintenance.

Talk to SurfnSun (Josh) he loved his car and is going to get another. Also ask him about the costs of ownership, I believe he sunk alot of $ into his car but then again, his car was wicked fast so it all works out in the end.
Originally Posted by *89x2*

The Callaway has higher maintenance? Says who?

SurnSun's car had bill, because of his dyno time. That had NOTHING to do with it functioning. He was on a quest for more power and found it. In a BIG WAY! w/ the B2K

Yes I spent alot of money on my b2k but there were a few reasons for that....

First, when I picked up the car it had been sitting in storage for nearly 10 years. My guess is if you go buy one of those super low mile ZR1's out there you'll be spending some coin on it too.

Second, I had no real experience with turbo cars and there was a learning curve.

Third, I had a transmission shop rip me off for $2k. When my old laptop kicked the bucket I lost all of my documentation so a court case was out. But I digress....

Most of the stuff I had to fix/replace was stock GM stuff.....4+3, Alternator, Water pump, full tune up, exhaust manifold gaskets(distrib, cap, rotor, plugs, serpentine belt, battery....etc etc), seal leak in rear end, replace crappy glass Astro top, re-charge AC....All common L98 stuff.

There were a few fixes non performance related that were Callaway parts. leaking oil line, Boost line to intake that had something in it, probably spiderwebs or carbon..who knows. Wastegate gasket. Thats all I can think of right now.

Now if you factor in the other stuff I did to get car you get the most incurred costs.

-Hours upon hours of dyno time and tuning. I did this in Orlando, where there were no L98 tuners, so I had to bring in Jim Smith on a couple of occasions. That wasn't cheap.
-Power effects exhaust system
-AFPR
-Clean and flow test injectors
-Removed turbos and sent to Callaway to have wastegates ported and overall turbo inspections. I was having trouble keeping the boost low enough so that was the remedy. The labor in and out of the car was considerable, and I didn't have the time or location to attempt the work myself at that time.

In hindsight I know there are some areas where I could have saved a few bucks but you've got to play to pay. We basically took a stock b2k with a big exhaust/tune and made over well over 500hp/700lbft with it.

I think you'll find most guys don't drag race or put tons of miles their b2ks is b/c the cars are very rare and they want to keep them pristine. Of course the ones that do race are VERY quick. The ones that do consistently race run low 11s to low 10s. Nothing to sneeze at. We have a couple of forum members that run their cars in the flying mile(sanctioned and not ) both have problems finding a clutch to hold the torque in 6th gear. One uses a Spec 5 and the other is using a very expensive kevlar disk- i believe -and both still have slipping in 6th at full boost.

Making blanket statements like "Callaway isn't even in the same league as the ZR1" is ignorant of the topic at hand IMHO. The baddest street LT5 I know of makes 585rwhp. The baddest street b2k(not the Sledgehammer) I know of makes 650rwhp/735rwtq....and cost probably 1/3 of the LT5 to build.

I like both cars....would like to have both. But the next one on my list is to buy another b2k.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-29-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

The B2K has nothing except a lot of engines with rods through the block.
Seriously?? did you get your panties in a wad? ....talk about clueless.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-29-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually I spend alot of time researching Callaways's, and drove several. I came close to buying different ones a couple of times. "Modified C4"? by your own admission "typical L98 stuff". I have driven cars as fast or faster than a ZR1, several were turbo's, and I've also had several TT300zx's (actually great cars to drive) and TT Stealths. You can make a go-cart faster than a ZR1 if you are so inclined, but you'd still have a very fast go-cart. This wasn't supposed to be a dick measuring contest, he was just asking for opinions. And having owned several turbo's over the years, I can attest that as you start playing with boost, to get those big numbers, the longevity drops considerably.

Last edited by zr1fred; 01-29-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Well, strike two for you...I was running stock boost levels. Try again.

Clearly you didn't comprehend the crux of my post. I for one never said "modded C4" thats your own poorly rationalized term. RPO means regular production option...look it up.

As far as the statement "typical L98 stuff" I was referring to the money I spent rehabbing the car after its 10 years of sitting. You should possibly stop and consider that your ZR1 shares the close to the same amount of "typical L98 stuff" that the Callaway does

This wasn't supposed to be a dick measuring contest,
Perhaps before insulting another guy's ride you'll stop and thing before you post. The different league and go cart statements were just stupid. Different league? Callaways are more rare, have held their value better, and out accelerate the ZR1 in stock form. What league are you talking about? The LT5 certainly has a better longevity if running 7k rpm for 24 hours is your gig.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Hmm, "stop and thing before you post", didn't know you were into irony. You like to pick and choose your quotes out of context, I guess you feel that works for you. If you feel I insulted your ride, that's your problem, it wasn't my intent. So if someone asks for an opinion we should stop and be careful that someone might take it wrong and get offended. BOO HOO.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by zr1fred
So if someone asks for an opinion we should stop and be careful that someone might take it wrong and get offended. BOO HOO.

Im making an effort to exercise tact among "corvette friends," But hey...if you want to be a total douche you're certainly entitled, it just reminds me why I don't spend much time here anymore. :
Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Actually, I didn't enjoy this that much, but I have missed your comments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 question