C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Is this "too much"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:12 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this "too much"?

I'm in the middle of changing my oil tonight...hoping to do some cruising in our great weather tomorrow...but I'm looking at two filters and a light bulb came on.

I've had this Fram 3985 sitting on my shelf for a long time. It wasn't meant to be used for an oil change, but somethimes I like to change the filter halfway between changes just to keep the oil cleaner. I never used this one, so I'm thinking of putting it on and driving the car around wnough to run the new oil and any of the old oil that might be left in the system. Then, I would remove it and put the Bosch 3401 on that Marc Haibeck recommended for the next 1500-2000 miles.

I know it sounds unnecessary, but they are $5 filters and I'd rather use and toss a less expensive one than keep an expensive (but maybe not any better) too long.

I was using th eAC Delco blue filter, and it did a great job of keeping my oil clean, but they aren't available anymore I guess. Anyway, I want to do this tonight and go driving for a couple of hours.

Does this make sense???
Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't like Fram filters of any kind so I'm biased. I've taken a Fram oil and air filter that was given to me back to the store and swapped it for different brands even though it cost me more money. Therefore, I'd put the Bosch on and take the Fram back to the store for credit towards another Bosch. It does seem like "too much" to use the Fram for a couple of hours and then swap to the Bosch. If you don't trust the Bosch for the full 1500-2000 miles, why use it at all? JMHO
Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah. Just put the Bosch filter on. You've gotten most of the oil out if you let it sit overnight. No sense splitting hairs here.

As an aside, I use the PureONE filters and have loved them. No drain back, high quality, and they're less expensive than the Bosch or the Mobil1's. There are several write up's regarding filters and who exactly manufactures them over at bobistheoilguy.com. It's rather boring reading, but it was interesting to see who exactly makes what. I don't remember who constructs the Bosch filters, but I seem to recall that they are the same as the Mobil1's.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 AM
kmoudy
Drifting

yes
Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 PM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i guess i`ve been lucky. a fram filter is all i`ve run on my 90Z #2161 for the last ten years and 26,000 miles. i run one on my 10 second dragboat too. its a 496 c.i.d. chevy. bullit roller cam, brodix aluminum heads and a 1150 c.f.m. holley. never a problem. i`ve had people give me hell about it and i say "tell me about someone who`s had a failure running these filters". i never get a comeback.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I don't like Fram filters of any kind so I'm biased. I've taken a Fram oil and air filter that was given to me back to the store and swapped it for different brands even though it cost me more money. Therefore, I'd put the Bosch on and take the Fram back to the store for credit towards another Bosch. It does seem like "too much" to use the Fram for a couple of hours and then swap to the Bosch. If you don't trust the Bosch for the full 1500-2000 miles, why use it at all? JMHO
I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll just dig out my receipt and do the swap.

Also: You know those V8 Juice commercials? Wellllllllll...when I removed my filter that THOUGHT was a Delco (becuase that's what my log said), I discovered it was one of those nice PURE ONE filters. I guess I did the interim change and didn't write it down. Those are actually pretty darn good filters so I think I'll get a couple and hang onto them.

Since the Bosch 3401 was recommended by Marc (good anti-drainback valve) I'll run it for now and then use the PURE ONE later. Since I put very few miles on my Z these days I don't plan on changing that oil for quite awhile...hence the extra filter change just to keep everything extra clean in there.

Thanks y'all.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
turbo-max
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmoudy
yes
No.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Z Factor
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can see which filters most of us use in this thread.

http://zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2476

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I used a FRAM a lot on the old 91 Z. That car was raced, autocrossed and run hard on the street. Never a problem with the motor or the car. FRAM isn't that bad. I then switched to mobile one filters for whatever reason.... but I have nothing against FRAM filters.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this "too much"?

Quick Reply: Is this "too much"?