C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Lt-5 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 AM
arlingtonzo6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt-5 Question

is there really a big difference between the 385 horsepower lt-5's or the 405 horsepower lt-5's? i am wondering about durability differences if any. any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:51 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

No significant differences, both very durable.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the 93-95 had lighter pistons and rods, and they set the 405 "peak" rating a bit lower. graham did a very good presentation on the next LT5 and also discussed the many variants.

bottom line, ALL LT5s are extremely well built with very close tolerances, and very durable. the 90 LT5 set the FIA speed record, and the later model also passed a 400 hour durablility test.

the later model does feature a 4 bolt bottom end ladder, and some improvements here and there, but the 20 hp isn't all that significant as the later car got a bit heavier so they run pretty similar.

my stock 95 (it did have a chip) pulled 363 on the dyno, which is exceptional!

most are in the 340 - 350 range for the 93-95, with the 90-92 about 10-15 hp lower at the wheels. dyno results DO vary quite a bit so any true comparison needs to be done same day same dyno.

we've done that at SGC and gotten a good feel for what they will do!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 AM
arlingtonzo6
Intermediate

Default Lt-5

thanks for the info i have been looking at different year models and have not been able to close a deal on one yet but hopefully soon i will be able to close a deal on one.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 AM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by arlingtonzo6
thanks for the info i have been looking at different year models and have not been able to close a deal on one yet but hopefully soon i will be able to close a deal on one.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Some other minor stuff too...

The intake plenum runners and injector housings were opened up from 33mm to 34mm, and the injector housing was modified slightly. Another boost was had by improving the exhaust; getting rid of the restriction at the in/out of the resonator (going to an LT4-type).

The main cap ladder/cradle went from large two-bolts/main to smaller four-bolt configuration, but from talking to Marc Haibeck about it, I gather there is no significant difference in terms of reliability.

The LT5 has fascinated me from day one. With the DOHC 4-valve/cylinder, pent roof head the LT5 idles like yo mama's Buick in traffic, and howls like a banshee all the way to 7G!! With a die grinder and some time, a nice DIY winter project is to open the intake plenum and IH runners to 36mm, install LT headers and a 3" exhaust (B&B is what I have my sights set on), a Haibeck chip and be rewarded with about 400 RWHP w/o altering it's stock street manners!!

I've had Chevys all my life, but I've never experienced anything like the LT5. It is something you just have to experience to understand. Ain't nuttin' like um - at least not in the Chebby coral. But, I digress...

P.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 AM
arlingtonzo6
Intermediate

Default lt-5

i have wanted a zr-1 for many years i currently own a 2006 zo6 but the zr-1 has always been on my mind and hopefully soon i will be able to own one.

Get notified of new replies

To Lt-5 Question

Quick Reply: Lt-5 Question