C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Finally.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:50 AM
cadillac531
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billybaloneey
cadillac531,

You have given me some much needed inspiration to clean-up and detail my '94. I'm a new ZR-1 owner. The only thing I had reservations about when I bought mine was a filthy engine and engine bay. I'm working on a '85 and a '78, once I finish them, I hope I can get my LT5 looking as good as yours.

Reading some of the other replies, it sounds like you've given others inspiration also.

Any, after the fact, hints or tips you can share? Anything you would have done differently to make the job easier?
Welcome to the Brotherhood, Baloneey. Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

The one tip I'd have for everyone is to paint the motor first and drive it for a while. Let the grey finish cure, then letter it. The engine enamel requires heat to cure, so if you have any overspray from the lettering it can easily be removed by gently scraping it off with a razor without affecting the grey finish. Just don't fire the motor until you have cleaned any and all overspray. Once the motor heats up and cures the letter paint, it is permanent.

Other than that, I don't think there would be anything I would do differently. The most difficult part of this task is masking everything off. Other than that, it's a walk in the park.

Hope some of that helps.

Constantine

Last edited by cadillac531; 05-31-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by cadillac531
As far as prepping, I made sure the surface was clean of any debris or oil and sprayed the paint. There were no issues with lifting or bubbling.
Did you sand or scuff it up at all first?

How many hours did it take you?

cadillac531,

You have given me some much needed inspiration to clean-up and detail my '94.

Reading some of the other replies, it sounds like you've given others inspiration also.

I bought 2 cans of the Lingenfelter paint 3 years ago, this just got bumped up on my to do list
Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 PM
cadillac531
Pro

Originally Posted by Rex Ruby
Did you sand or scuff it up at all first?

How many hours did it take you?

I bought 2 cans of the Lingenfelter paint 3 years ago, this just got bumped up on my to do list
I attempted to scuff up the surface, but there wasn't anything really coming off. The surface is textured enough, so I didn't have to.

I think, overall, the project took about 4 hours to paint ( 3 hours and 55 minutes to tape and 5 minutes to paint ) and another 1 hour or so to letter.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:07 PM
DMark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cadillac531,

Looks Great!

I wonder if using a high temp clear coat would give the paint more shine?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
cadillac531
Pro

Originally Posted by DMark
cadillac531,

Looks Great!

I wonder if using a high temp clear coat would give the paint more shine?
I had thought of doing that. However, I was uncertain what kind of effect it would have on the grey. I don't know if it would yellow it or change it "ugly." I didn't want to chance it, besides I like the "stock" look.

Thanks.
Constantine
Old 06-02-2008, 01:16 AM
cadillac531
Pro

Originally Posted by 95ZR1
Great Job, Constantine!
Thanks, Ted. How are you doing? Haven't talked to you for a while. How's the Beast running?

Constantine
Old 06-02-2008, 05:17 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cadillac531,

You have given me some much needed inspiration to clean-up and detail my '94. I'm a new ZR-1 owner. The only thing I had reservations about when I bought mine was a filthy engine and engine bay. I'm working on a '85 and a '78, once I finish them, I hope I can get my LT5 looking as good as yours.

Any, after the fact, hints or tips you can share? Anything you would have done differently to make the job easier?
The first big tip is DO NOT wash the engine with water (power sprayer or hose) unless you plug EVERY hole, opening, gap, or crevass that will allow water under the plenum. Your starter and a lot of important "stuff" is under there. The starter will be the first to die, and it's a big, expensive job to replace it. I did do mine twice before it was powdercoated by stuffing strips of bedsheet in ALL the openings (don't forget the front).
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is that paint holding up?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow! it simply looks awesome.....
Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM
cadillac531
Pro

It's perfect....looks exactly like the day I sprayed it. It hasn't turned any different colors, hasn't dulled, hasn't peeled or cracked.

I couldn't be happier with the product or the end result.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

And I still haven't done this
Old 05-15-2010, 01:48 AM
cadillac531
Pro

And I still haven't done this
Yeah, you really should take this on, if your factory finish is pitting. The LT5 is striking no matter what, but after you refinish it; you pretty much never want to have the hood shut. There are times when I park it in the garage that I leave the hood open, so when I walk past it I can look at it.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 AM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks, Ted. How are you doing? Haven't talked to you for a while. How's the Beast running?
Constantine
Hey Constantine! Again, Great job! It looks GREAT! I was just talking to Marc H. at the BG Gathering (YES!) and he likes painting better than powder coating even with the top end already disassembled.

There was a lot of reminiscing about the past LV events, especially the
Nellis mile. We would surely like to do that again, Lt. Col. Ron H. (Ret).

Are we going to have another ZR-1 West Gathering in Las Vegas?
ZR-1 ers seem to need some kind of racing event to get them together.

As for my car: runs great, don't get to drive it enough, any more mods would be mucho $$$ at this point.

C ya and say hi to the missus.
Ted

Last edited by 95ZR1; 05-17-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Wanted 2
Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Powder coat vs. spray...

What made you choose to use spray paint rather than powder coat? IS what you used going to be more durable than the factory coating?

It looks fantastic!
I had the same question when Marc H switched from powder coating to spray. He told me that in his experience the powder coating is brittle and tends to crack and chip around the bolts, sometimes. He also had trouble with the clear turning yellow - perhaps just the wrong choice for the clear.

Taking his word, I experimented with high temp wheel paint and high temp clear. I experimented with the plenum...

I liked it so well, that I went ahead and sprayed the cam covers (work in progress). Note: In the photo, the finish almost looks grainy. Not so to the eye, but to the camera in closeup mode, it does. To the eye it looks quite nice, methinks.

I haven't decided if I'm going to mask the lettering and spray it, or hand paint it. Both have their drawbacks, I find.

The paint is high temp Dupli-Color. LGAFF suggests another maker for the paint as being superior to the DC, and I would have taken his advice (has quite a bit more experience w/ paint and heat). But, it was a case of coulda-shoulda-woulda. The plenum did not yellow with heat, so maybe the high temp wheel paint will be OK. Time will tell.

P.

P.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 AM
billybaloneey
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I had the same question when Marc H switched from powder coating to spray. He told me that in his experience the powder coating is brittle and tends to crack and chip around the bolts, sometimes. He also had trouble with the clear turning yellow - perhaps just the wrong choice for the clear.

Taking his word, I experimented with high temp wheel paint and high temp clear. I experimented with the plenum...

I liked it so well, that I went ahead and sprayed the cam covers (work in progress). Note: In the photo, the finish almost looks grainy. Not so to the eye, but to the camera in closeup mode, it does. To the eye it looks quite nice, methinks.

I haven't decided if I'm going to mask the lettering and spray it, or hand paint it. Both have their drawbacks, I find.

The paint is high temp Dupli-Color. LGAFF suggests another maker for the paint as being superior to the DC, and I would have taken his advice (has quite a bit more experience w/ paint and heat). But, it was a case of coulda-shoulda-woulda. The plenum did not yellow with heat, so maybe the high temp wheel paint will be OK. Time will tell.

P.
Looks good...is some type of clear needed or recommended?

Clint aka billybaloneey
Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

It wasn't all that bad to tape off. I ran tape over the top of the letters/numbers, pressing down to show the border of the numeral and cut out them out with an x-acto knife.

As far as prepping, I made sure the surface was clean of any debris or oil and sprayed the paint. There were no issues with lifting or bubbling.
Gotta tell you - you are a patient man!!!
I masked the engine as you did but as for the lettering I free handed.
Looks gorgeous!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

if the black on the lettering is in good shape and you don't want to repaint take some clay and "pack it" into the lettering and then peel it out when done you can then take a fine brush and touch it up

I just thought of this and it should work

get some precut some "circles of tape" to mask the bolts

I'd drain the coolant and remove the lines

sure beats taking everything apart, looks awesome

my engine has all the fancy signatures, but as soon as they fade away I'm going to try and repaint it in the car as you have shown.

pulling those cam coves is a chore and often the bolts have siezed and break
Old 05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
cadillac531
Pro

Originally Posted by secondchance
Gotta tell you - you are a patient man!!!
I masked the engine as you did but as for the lettering I free handed.
Looks gorgeous!
Thanks. How'd the free hand come out. I was going to attempt that, but thought spraying it would be easier.

Quick Reply: Finally.....