C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

{CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 02:09 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Default {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting...

Here are some images of Dymags I borrowed from the net... A lot of confusion is setting in on the 1st design, 2nd, etc...I would like to be more informed myself so, here goes... This is the 16" DYMAG used ONLY on the 87's and was offered in 16"x9.5" only...

Next , the 88-91 Callaway Dymag It is stamped w/ Dymag and Callaway on the spokes (I have seen this wheel on some 87's and often wondered if it came on them-since the center cap didn't come out until 1988) :confused: It seems to be a 17"x9.5" wheel, All the 11" wide wheels I have seen of similar style were the type below (from Mid America)

There is also the wheel that was marked by Mid America and this DYMAG looked virtually identical to the CALLAWAY one however it said Corvette instead of Callaway I can't make out what the word on the spoke is but, you get the idea...
then another design w/ open lug patterns also in 17" and could be had in 9.5&11" widths (maybe other custom offsets???) (sorry if pic dosen't load...)

I'd like to know whatever you know about these wheels...
If anyone cares to add to the photos or contribute info, feel free!
(If I borrowed a pic from you thanks-if not ok, I'll edit) :cheers:

[Modified by *89x2*, 8:24 AM 1/13/2002]
The following users liked this post:
DougB2K (09-29-2020)
Old 01-13-2002, 03:13 AM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (*89x2*)

Hey those are my wheels 88 Callways TT and 88 35th! Thanks for the pics! Dont forget the ZR1 rears using open caps!

Old Topics on Dymags http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=167890

[Modified by Ultra Slow, 1:25 AM 1/13/2002]
The following 2 users liked this post by Ultra Slow:
Craigc4 (04-20-2021), DougB2K (09-29-2020)
Old 01-13-2002, 10:21 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (Ultra Slow)

Hey those are my wheels 88 Callways TT and 88 35th! Thanks for the pics! Dont forget the ZR1 rears using open caps!
[Modified by Ultra Slow, 1:25 AM 1/13/2002]
Ultra, those were the 17" Dymags avail. from Mid America ('cause they say Corvette on the spoke) in 17"x9.5 and 17"x11" , right? On those you used a 90 center cap instead of the "frisbee discs" on the 88/89 cars... How bout the rest of the topic starter...thoughts???
Thanks for the pics!!!Your web sites are SWEET!!!!!
Old 01-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (*89x2*)

89x2.... Yes the white wheels on my 35th supercharged car are from mid america, although I did not buy them there. There was a topic a while back that was about 20 posts long with details of the rare ZR1 dymags, how I got them from tommy morison, only by buying a car with them just to sell the car to get them, as they were actually used on the ZR1 endurance test, etc. Unfortunatly I cannot find it as it was a while back and thought it was the post that I linked.

I can pretty much tell you most of the avalible information on Dymags about the 88-91 callaway dymag, mid-america sales #'s of the "corvette" dymag, and the wide ZR1 rear dymag. The ZR1 rear were only 5 sets sold acording to their records (unknown produced), and not a whole lot of the normal size either. The unsold inventory (unknown limited quantity) according to mid america, was sold off to a wholesaler in early 95 who was said to have sold the older dymags at swap meets. etc. I am guessing there are about 600-700 sets of callaway style dymags total ever produced given the total B2k production, challange car production, and the mid america sales info they gave me as a guestimate on the phone. The stamped "corvette" wheel is less produced than the Callaway Dymag according to my extensive research, that even led me to contact Dymag America, then on to Dymag England, after Reeves, to try and get them to reproduce some without success. I guess at 1K+ a wheel at one point, they were not that popular, even though they are truly an impressive wheel that you can tell a night and day difference in driving on. Late 94 was the last ad mid-america had with the old style 17" dymags in it.. They only had a few and were dumping their inventory at "cost" (according to them) at $695.00 for the 9.5's and $795.00 for the 11's. Now the misconception of the sizes is also confusing, which to me was stupid on marketing... I guess they did not want the confuse the "*****" into thiking that the 1/2" and 1" difference was not going to work on their cars. Since they called them 9.5, 10's and the ZR1 is way closer to 12 than 11.... Measure them against a factory wheel and draw your own conclusions with your findings.

Dymag mainly produces very light weight motorcycle wheels and Callaway contracted out on the first 17's for the B2ks from the few "corvette challenge" "corvette" stamped wheels made for the factory challenge cars in 88. These are the wheels mid-america got ahold of.. The left over challange wheels. There are even some 16" that were run on the iroc series cars, that I have only seen in pictures that are not accociated with callaway and were earlier in 85-86.

Another piece of dymag trivia that may not be new to some, is that the 91 aerobody turbo that 8388 has was actually given to Dymag for some reason or another by Callaway. (payment presumably) I dont know the gossip, but figure Callaway got sideways with dymag at some point and possibly gave them the car to help cover things. They of course just sold it off as fast as they could. Reeves has just said that the Dymag was not produced on the later 91 cars as the mold itself was worn out and was too costly to redo... Dymag never said anything to discredit this, but said they would not produce any unless someone was willing to take a very large order.

The picture below are of the 94 mid america ad for the last dymags.... Notice how they have the "#1 best seller" next to them.... They did not sell a whole lot and had to dump them to a wholeseller to get rid of the rest... I guess anything that says #1 is never that!

The other dymag below in the mid america ad is the newer style, just like the black ones on the silver callaway above. These are still avalible at some places and are not that rare, and do not have the offset of look of the callaway-challange wheels.

Picture of my ZR1 dymags after refinishing.

[Modified by Ultra Slow, 4:36 PM 1/13/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 06:58 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (Ultra Slow)

Ultra, AWESOME info!!!! I have the same basic info somewhere in my mind from a long ago conversation w/ Dymag. They said that it would cost 30grand to repair the mold. They also could not produce Callaway Dymags w/ out Reeves permission. They also stated that they were "told" (at a later date from ouor original conversation) that they would not re-produce ANY of those style wheels. Thanks for posting the ad for the "other design" DYMAGS as tose are the ones that up until recently, Exotic Muscle sold...(starting at 3400 bucks a set...) Those are THE wheels in my pic w/ the little red X in it...
I have seen those on ZR1's and they look HOT!!! esp how deep the rr lug area is on the 11's :eek:
Keep the good info coming!!!!
...How bout the rarity of the 16" Black DYMAGS from 87... And what about the 17" Dymags on 87's.. was that from Callaway or an afterthought?
:cheers:
Old 01-13-2002, 07:52 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

There are wheels out there if you get lucky. Found two 88-91 Dymags in Sacramento six months ago. Near mint $300 each.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:41 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,083 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (turbocat)

Dymag also made a wheel for Corvettes that very closely resembles the A-Mold ZR-1 five spoke. No one has posted a photo of that wheel,yet.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (USAZR1)

I think thats the "new" dymag in the ad above Clint. It is the one I would think you are talking about. It is also the wheel painted black on the silver 87.. Not original..

[Modified by Ultra Slow, 7:19 PM 1/13/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 09:51 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

It is also the wheel painted black on the silver 87.. Not original..
[Modified by Ultra Slow, 7:19 PM 1/13/2002]
Now I am confused... Those wheels on that 87 up top are original equipment... A $3,000 option in 87. Another owner mentioned that 30 sets of those made it out the door... Most 87's had the regular 16" Corvette wheels but Dymags were availible... Still not sure on the 88-91 style Dymags showing up on late(???) 87's :confused:

********To add more confusion to this, I will be posting a pic (one day when I scan it...) of a set of 88-91 style Dymags w/ a small bolt in each spoke giving the appearence of a 3 pc wheel... (They were on a red 87 I believe and the side "rub strip" said " CALLAWAY TWIN TURBO" <----- What is UP w/ THAT???? :confused: )
Old 01-14-2002, 12:12 AM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

Are those 16's or 17's. To me they look just like the over the counter 5 star in the mid america ad 17", not a 16..... I know the wheel you are talking about, but I dont think thats it... Its the iroc/challange 16" that was used on the 87 on a few car.... I thought the stock wheels looked better myself than those, but the newer 5 spokes are nice and if they were not black, I'd know for sure.

[Modified by Ultra Slow, 10:13 PM 1/13/2002]
Old 01-14-2002, 12:24 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,083 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think thats the "new" dymag in the ad above Clint. It is the one I would think you are talking about. It is also the wheel painted black on the silver 87.. Not original..
Matt,you might be right. After looking at the top wheel in the Mid America advertisement more closely,that might be the wheel I'm referring to.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:01 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Here is another shot of the 16" DYMAGS from 1987...

The 17" DYMAGS I have seen on "some" 87's have been the 88-91 version...Do not know if they were really avail. at that time :confused:
Hope this helps...
Old 01-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

If those are 16's they are that iroc-challange wheel used. Not bad for a 16 and the RIGHT offset for the inset 87 suspension.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:56 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Yep, those are the original Dymags offered in 1987, a $3,000 dollar option!!! Not many were done that way, I have seen a few (mostly at Carlisle). Ahh the mystery unfolds...
BTW... Those are what I had always considered "First Generation CALLAWAY DYMAGS". W/ the 88-91 style (and Corvette Challenge)being the 2nd generation and the "open lug nut " Style in the mid America Catalog to be "Generation 3".
Keep the good info coming!!!! :cheers:
Old 01-15-2002, 05:43 PM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

I do not recall those wheels looking like that as they look so much like the 17" newer style that mid america sold and even from the pictures the car looks like it has 17" tires from the sidewall heights. I am not there to see it up close and there are no close pictures of the wheels, so I am sure they are what you say they are if you saw them in person. The black color makes it difficult to see.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:33 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very interesting post.

My Callaway '91#26 has polished wheels. The Callaway invoice http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/luig...cewebready.jpg states they are Dynamag but other people have told me they thought they were OZ 3 piece wheels. There is no brand identification anywhere visible without pulling the tire of the car. They have the same design as the wheels in the post but in polished form. Are these Dynamags or not?? (see pic below)

Thanks,
Luigi
:cool:
:chevy
Old 01-15-2002, 10:44 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (TurboLuigi)

TurboLuigi, the wheels on your car are definately OZ wheels. I have seen a few TT's that left Callaway w/ the OZ's even thought hey were supposed to be built w/ DYMAG's. I have even seen an 89 "Direct Conversion" car (Non B2K Callaway TT) that had 17" 3 pc OZ's w/ Bridgestone tires (Callaway Cars seemed to prefer those)

>>>One this that just entered my mind... I know the Speedster cars had DYMAG's on most if not all of them however, I have been seeing them w/ 18" OZ 3pc wheels...I wonder if the bagged the DYMAGS for storage and use the OZ's for street/show use... :confused:
Thoughts welcomed :)

Get notified of new replies

To {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting...

Old 01-15-2002, 11:50 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

The black "thin spoke" Dymags (as opposed to the standard Dymags on the vast majority of the cars released) shown in the darth Vetter picture are 16" wheels. Tires.. 255/50VR Gatorbacks. The offset for the wheels may look good in the photo.. in person, another story. Ever see an early C4 Vette with a late C4 wheel on it? Without the spacers? This car gives that general appearance, but not quite as much. It's most evident when standing behind the car viewing the rear clip and the tire position.. It looks as though the wheels are inset too far. From the front? Same thing, the wheels need to be set at a wider stance. A larger tire on the same rim? Maybe a little better. Best? It really needs a deeper dish wheel. Hook your computer up through a SVGA to SVHS converter and then to a Jumbotron, maybe it'll be easier to see!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Stan A
Racer

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (EricVonHa)

Hi Everyone,

A short note that may interest every TT owner (88-91) with Dymags. Four months ago a single Dymag wheel was sold by Callaway to an individual owner for $1850. IT was used and in average shape. A wheel in average condition will sell from between $2200 to $2500 each.

Since most of us will never replace a wheel, all of this maybe worthless. However, we need to help each other with respect to parts and their availiabilty. We can survey what we have in extras and share this information.

Sad to say that the T04 turbos are no longer available along with repair kits. Have FAITH.............. I think I have found a small source of used ones and possibly some new ones as well. If anyone is in need of a turbo(s) now, email me directly. I am trying to get reasonable prices established. I will post everyones email directly on this matter. There are no turbos made that can be bolted in to replace the T04 without massive plumbing changes. Talk about expensive.

Take care,
Stan :chevy :seeya
Old 01-21-2002, 12:02 PM
90Callaway
Pro

Default Re: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting... (Stan A)

Hi Everyone,

A short note that may interest every TT owner (88-91) with Dymags. Four months ago a single Dymag wheel was sold by Callaway to an individual owner for $1850. IT was used and in average shape. A wheel in average condition will sell from between $2200 to $2500 each.

Since most of us will never replace a wheel, all of this maybe worthless. However, we need to help each other with respect to parts and their availiabilty. We can survey what we have in extras and share this information.

Sad to say that the T04 turbos are no longer available along with repair kits. Have FAITH.............. I think I have found a small source of used ones and possibly some new ones as well. If anyone is in need of a turbo(s) now, email me directly. I am trying to get reasonable prices established. I will post everyones email directly on this matter. There are no turbos made that can be bolted in to replace the T04 without massive plumbing changes. Talk about expensive.

Take care,
Stan :chevy :seeya
Damn, I hope I never break a wheel... or a turbo!!! The T04B's seem to like to crack housings too. My car alone has had four cracked turbo housings in it's lifetime. (All before I owned it.) I guess Callaway wasn't BS'ing about me getting the last two brand new complete T04B turbos in the spring of 2000.

Quick Reply: {CALLAWAY}Dymag wheel confusion>this ought to get intersting...