C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Old Tri Flow vs New Tr FLow w/ x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
cbszr1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Old Tri Flow vs New Tr FLow w/ x pipe

It is my understanding that the newest Tri Flow exhaust with an X pipe is significantly quiet compared to the original Tri Flows. How is the resonance of the new Tri FLow. I know it gives the best performance but how just how loud are they.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 01:16 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

What???????????????

I can't hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the old one, less the mufflers and cats.

What did you say????

quiet?

What do you mean quiet?

Can't hear y....................................

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 01-03-2009, 01:45 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the new TriFlow system with resonator as I had been told it was significantly more tolerable regarding the drone level.
Well, all I can say without ever having heard the older generation for comparison is I CAN'T HEAR YOU, either !

With that said I love the sound of the B&B and being a glutten for punishment, I recently bought the X-Pipe but haven't installed it yet.
I figured that sooner or later the radio will go on me and this way it just won't matter.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the new system is still very agressive but the mufflers were redesigned (and don't flow quite as much) to make the exhaust more liveable.

I have random cats, x pipe, and the new B&B and while it's LOUD, the resonance is much improved over the old system which could really shake things up!

don't go with the X pipe or the B&B if you are looking for a quiet exhaust.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:20 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the B&B on my 90...its not that bad compared to the last Trans Am I had, that thing was loud. I don't find the B&B all that bad actually... no X pipe. On the highway it does have a slight drone inside and a nice deep tone outside ... isn't that what these cars are all about?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
cbszr1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much noise is added by the X pipe

How much louder is the X Pipe vs the resonator in the new Tri Flow exhaust
Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 AM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The X pipe is going to be louder, no doubt.
I have the old system with X pipe and love it. I am thinking about removing the mufflers and going with just straight 3 inch pipe.

Originally Posted by cbszr1
How much louder is the X Pipe vs the resonator in the new Tri Flow exhaust
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

doc and haibeck both did flanges on the mufflers so they could unbolt them and go with straight pipes

I had a ride in doc's 415 "uncorked" and it was indeed spectacular with no resonance, just the full howl of the beast
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Originally Posted by 4cefed
The X pipe is going to be louder, no doubt.
I have the old system with X pipe and love it. I am thinking about removing the mufflers and going with just straight 3 inch pipe.
Understanding the X-pipe will be louder, I'm wondering if that dB increase will be noticeable from the
back-end/outside only, or if it will increase the drone inside the car as well?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
npritchard11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Corsa cat-back system sitting in my garage that I haven't gotten around to bolting in yet. Anyone know how they compare with the B&B systems? Interior resonance anyway?

-Nate
Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

The Corsa Catback has less resonance than the B&B, but sounds good from the outside of the car.
Joel

Originally Posted by npritchard11
I've got a Corsa cat-back system sitting in my garage that I haven't gotten around to bolting in yet. Anyone know how they compare with the B&B systems? Interior resonance anyway?

-Nate
Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

The resonance db's will increase with the X-pipe.
What rear end gear do you run on the car?

I have 4:09's and the car doesn't stay in the resonance range very long, especially on the hiway in 6th gear.

It just depends on your noise tolerance, I spent 16 years driving mustangs int he 80's and 90's and they all had full exhaust. I like a loud car. I doubt your wife is going to dig it on hiway trips.

Originally Posted by ScottC95ZR1
Understanding the X-pipe will be louder, I'm wondering if that dB increase will be noticeable from the
Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ScottC95ZR1
Removing the resonator will increase resonance in the car the X pipe doesn kil drone, changes the exhaust pitch just a touch thats it.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 AM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Thanks Joel and Ron. I like a louder car too and the B&B's tone just sounds right to me, drone be damned. I will still go with the X-pipe
as I would like it a little louder even if it means more resonance in the car. As long as I can stand it anyway! I haven't had the gears
changed yet so perhaps when I do that will lessen it a bit. And you're right, it's really only when my lady is with me that it's bothersome.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

only place you will see bad resonance with the newer style B&B and x pipe is down below 2k rpms. put those 4.10 gears in there and you won't find it too bad at all even in the 6th gear crooze. the random metal matrix cats help too without significantly restricting flow, about 3-5 hp, not enough to worry about and they "tone down" the resonnace quite a bit.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
W i l l
Racer

It looks like you will get a gamut of replies. I replaced the resonator on my high compression LPE 415 cid car with an X-pipe in September. The result is LESS resonance than before. The prior resonance was so bad that it finally split the resonator open lengthwise one end to the other (and this was not on the welded seam). It probably is a little louder outside the car....you will have to ask the Viper guys to be sure because I am never back there :-))

Will
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

interesting but it makes sense. I never ran the resonator, I started with the X pipe and I think the system is just fine without it, and you'll gain mid range torq and a few ponies with the x pipe.

any restriction is an "opportunity" for resonance. thanks Will.

Get notified of new replies

To Old Tri Flow vs New Tr FLow w/ x pipe

Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
interesting but it makes sense. I never ran the resonator, I started with the X pipe and I think the system is just fine without it, and you'll gain mid range torq and a few ponies with the x pipe.

any restriction is an "opportunity" for resonance. thanks Will.

Will an x-pipe be quieter than an h-pipe?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM
toptoy
Cruising

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Removing the resonator will increase resonance in the car the X pipe doesn kil drone, changes the exhaust pitch just a touch thats it.
I started out with the resonator. Actually went thru three of them before switching to the X-pipe. The internals kept coming apart in my resonators and causing ... more resonance!

The X-pipe produces no more resonance than the resonators, even when new, did. The only time the resonance is objectionable is when lugging around 2000 rpm. The X-pipe lowered the pitch of the sound a little, especially at idle which sounds great, and added 16 RWHP. And weighs a few pounds less. I would never go back to a resonator.

It's easy to mistake vibration from the pipes touching the rear differential for resonance. It's very important to keep the pipes isolated from touching any other part of the car.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Five years before I sold my B&B with a Stainless Works X-pipe I loved it. The problem was the older I got the more the resonance bothered me. Even with my "old ears" there was no doubt the Z sounded good with the B&B. The was no doubt I picked up a few extra ponies (an average of 10, plus 3 minus 1, on 3 dyno runs). No doubt when I was in the "resonance" RPM range it was worse when the windows were up; and, no doubt when my tailpipes did not extend far enough out from under the car the resonance is worse.

If you have "young ears" you'll love the B&B; if you have "old ears" like mine you'll be replacing it before too long. It's not perfect but 'm pretty happy with my Corsa at this point. Scott, it will be interesting to see if your experience mirrors mine. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Old Tri Flow vs New Tr FLow w/ x pipe