C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

watson header install

Old 02-03-2002, 02:50 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default watson header install

looking to install watson headers on my 90 ZR1. where can I find the bolt/spacer kit and the O2 extenders??? any tips on getting the old headers off??? getting to the bolts near the heat shields I've heard is kinda tough. any tips would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:50 PM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: watson header install (Rkreigh)

For the O2 sensors you could make extenders with parts from pepboys if you know how to solder. Just buy the male and femal connectors from their wiring connector section and splice them together as the extension. I don't know where you'd buy them. On the passenger side take the big nut (goes into a stud between 4&6) off LAST. Take that nut off FIRST on the driver side (between 3&5) because you can't get a socket on it and you can't get much stroke with an open end wrench. You want the other bolts to be tight so you can finger it off easier / sooner. With an air ratchet, a universal and some extensions the rest of the bolts are easy to get too. You can use a socket on the nut on the passenger side, that's why you leave it until last.

You also need to take the inner fender wells off before you start to gain access to the bolts. I like to remove the "gills" at the same time so you don't accidentally catch one with your clothes and risk breaking it.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: watson header install (91mongoose)

thanks mongoose. good tips. I think Bill Kirchoffer (Jeal) may have the O2 extension. someone mentioned that you want to make sure to put them on both sides so the O2 sensor wire length is consistent. sorta makes sense.

appreicate the help!!! :cheers:
Old 02-04-2002, 09:48 AM
ZR1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to make it easy on yourself you can take the two engine mount nuts off and jack the motor up just a bit. It makes all the difference in the world.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:56 AM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: watson header install (91mongoose)

Ron,

Go to your local Sears store and pick up a wrench that mkes the job *MUCH* easier. It's a combination box end racheting wrench . It's 10mm on one side and 9mm on the other. Make sure you get the one that has offset ends. That wrench makes the bolts much easier to reach and both remove and install.

Also, after you remove the heat shields you will find that their mouning holes can be used to hold a small wire harness that will hold the O2 sensor wires away from the headers.

Good luck- it is not that bad of a job !
Dan
Old 02-09-2002, 04:26 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: watson header install (RedZR)

good tips guys. I may have to make up the extenders as no one seems to have any. FYI, I am also gathering some comparative quotes in case I can't get some free time or am just too lazy!!! anyone please post their prices if they had the work done. it seems like about a 4-6 hour job. I also heard that taking off the fender liners and "gill" side panels off helps with access (doesn't seem necessary if you jack up the engine a bit. please post any other hints, I will get that wrench for sure. having the right tools makes all the diference!!! :D
Old 02-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

I am checking with 4 shops to get pricing in case I punk out (which I might, I dropped a vette on me a few years back so my wife gets nervous when I'm under a car).

corvette specialties (eisenhower ave)
Pohanko Chevy in Chantilly (Joe Malo - good mechanic)
SGS (my mom is in atlanta, I can visit her and drop it off)
Corvette shop in dumfries VA

I will post the prices for those of you (like me) that might prefer to get the work done. even though it's a hike and a half, SGS sounds like they may get the nod. I want Aaron to do a 368 for me some day. I like his work. Every one I have talked to has had good things to say about SGS

Joe Malo is probably my second choice, he is a very metciulous mechanic and does alot of ZR1 work, I just hate paying the dealer prices. I will try to do a write up with some pics along with before and after dyno.

my car doesn't run the numbers yet so my secondaries may not be opening up or something else (like traction!!!) is going on, 13.2 at 108 just doesn't sound right for a DRM 450. car should be in the mid 12s with decent traction. hopefully the watsons and flowmaster will wake it up.

please post any recommendations in addition to the ones above, they will help with writing of the articles. I want to cover both perspectives, DIY, and prices for getting the work done. TIA for any hints!!!
:)

Get notified of new replies

To watson header install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: watson header install