C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Corey has my car!!! I can't wait to get it back.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mgg
...I took my c4 race car to a superflow dyno at MD performance for nasa series requirements and was told that the dyno numbers are a tad on the conservative side. My car made 427hp to the wheels when tested.

mgg, did George tune your car or does he have others dyno tuning these days?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 PM
1990 QUASAR BLUE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A1990
STD or SAE?
If memory serves, all the posted sheets I've seem from either Corey or Arron's shop are in STD. Still, great numbers no matter how you slice it.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
mgg
Instructor

Default dyno numbers

George did not tune it just ran the dyno. Really nice guys by the way. My engine was built by TPIS and was tuned on an engine dyno when being built. The engine dyno numbers were 524 at the crank which yeilded 427 at the wheels. I am afraid that many dyno numbers are a bit optimistic. Mine is also a race car with no accessesories. I bring this up not to be negative but just have seen over the years huge discrepancies with dyno numbers. If bench racing is what is important than these numbers will be what they will be but I am skeptical if many prove to be real at the track. Another friend of mine who again I will not mention had a in 1991 ZR-1 sent to Lingenfelter for a 600HP LT5 package. Don't get me wrong the car was FAST and ran great but the numbers they used NEVER matched the rear wheel numbers the car made here. The car was even sent back due to the discrepancy of the quoted HP and was returned again with numbers at the wheels that did not meet the 600hp crank numbers. This is not ment to be critical it is just meant to say Dyno numbers really have a wide range for the same car. It may be that the higher numbers are accurate but again it really comes down to what the car puts to the pavement in my mind. I do not not know what to expect with my 90 ZR-1. It currently has SGC porte injector housings and plenum, new injectors, stainless works headers and cats, power effects exhaust, 410 gears, Haibeck chip, K&N filter with an open lid. I ran it last weekend with the WAZOO group at Mason Dixon dragstrip. I ran khumo street tires and ran abest of 12:60 @ 114mph. 2.1 , 60 ft. time. I was happy with that especially with the weather. Overcast , midi 50,s and kinda breezy. I guesstimated the car is at approx. 370-380 rear wheel HP. I am going to dyno it at Md performance one of these days to get a number. It'll be fun. I love the car, Mark, and SGC do great work. I guess I would rather it turn a great time at the track rather than the dyno. We will see.
mgg
Old 04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 1990 QUASAR BLUE
If memory serves, all the posted sheets I've seem from either Corey or Arron's shop are in STD. Still, great numbers no matter how you slice it.
I really don't know, nor do I understand the difference. I am just pleased with the gain from 368 to 410 on the very same dyno with exhaust and tune.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by mgg
Congrats on the dyno numbers very impressive for what you have done.<SNIP> I will be very curious to see what you car lays down at the track and I hope it is as impressive as the dyno numbers you received. Best of luck and let us know!
mgg
I hope a good driver can get an 11.99 out of it w/ the Nitto Drag radials that I run. With my fat azz and marginal driving skills, I'd be happy to turn a 12.3. Maybe I'm high, but with those dyno numbers, that's what I'd hope to see.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mgg
George did not tune it just ran the dyno. Really nice guys by the way. My engine was built by TPIS and was tuned on an engine dyno when being built. The engine dyno numbers were 524 at the crank which yeilded 427 at the wheels. I am afraid that many dyno numbers are a bit optimistic. Mine is also a race car with no accessesories. I bring this up not to be negative but just have seen over the years huge discrepancies with dyno numbers. If bench racing is what is important than these numbers will be what they will be but I am skeptical if many prove to be real at the track. Another friend of mine who again I will not mention had a in 1991 ZR-1 sent to Lingenfelter for a 600HP LT5 package. Don't get me wrong the car was FAST and ran great but the numbers they used NEVER matched the rear wheel numbers the car made here. The car was even sent back due to the discrepancy of the quoted HP and was returned again with numbers at the wheels that did not meet the 600hp crank numbers. This is not ment to be critical it is just meant to say Dyno numbers really have a wide range for the same car. It may be that the higher numbers are accurate but again it really comes down to what the car puts to the pavement in my mind. I do not not know what to expect with my 90 ZR-1. It currently has SGC porte injector housings and plenum, new injectors, stainless works headers and cats, power effects exhaust, 410 gears, Haibeck chip, K&N filter with an open lid. I ran it last weekend with the WAZOO group at Mason Dixon dragstrip. I ran khumo street tires and ran abest of 12:60 @ 114mph. 2.1 , 60 ft. time. I was happy with that especially with the weather. Overcast , midi 50,s and kinda breezy. I guesstimated the car is at approx. 370-380 rear wheel HP. I am going to dyno it at Md performance one of these days to get a number. It'll be fun. I love the car, Mark, and SGC do great work. I guess I would rather it turn a great time at the track rather than the dyno. We will see.
mgg

You are at a minimum of 387 and possibly 400 if that exhaust flows good.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 04-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 93ZR-1
I really don't know, nor do I understand the difference. I am just pleased with the gain from 368 to 410 on the very same dyno with exhaust and tune.
I'd be happy with a 42 HP gain from exhaust/tune also.

To understand the difference between SAE and STD:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/cf.htm
http://www.land-and-sea.com/dyno-tec...horsepower.htm

I ran the calculations using the correction formula from the first link (has the updated SAE J1349 Aug 2004 formula) to convert from STD to SAE conditions and came up with 4.5%.

cf=1.176[(990/Pd)*√((Tc+273)/298)]-.176
where: cf = the dyno correction factor
Pd = ambient pressure of dry air in mb
Tc = ambient temperature in °C

So you would multiply STD HP by .955 to get SAE HP. It should be noted that STD is also an "SAE" correction factor (J607) and the above two links are talking about engine dynos, not chassis dynos. What's referred to as SAE horsepower actually goes through a convoluted calculation where the engine is motored to determine friction HP or a 15% factor is used. Chassis dynos just use the correction factors related to weather conditions, not the whole SAE tests obviously. For a comparison, I made a chart below:

Weather------Temperature...Humidity....Barometric Pressure
STD/SAE J607..60°F (15.5°C)....0%........29.92 in-Hg (101.3 KPa)

SAE J1349.......77°F (25°C).......0%........29.234 in-Hg (99 KPa)

ECE................77°F (25°C).......0%........29.234 in-Hg (99 KPa)
Same as the SAE J1349, but does not use mechanical efficiency in the calculations.

DIN................68°F (20°C).....0%.........29.92 in-Hg (101.3 KPa)

JIS................77°F (25°C)......0%.........29.234 in-Hg (99 KPa)
Uses different correction curves than the others as a substitution for using mechanical efficiency factors.

SAE J1995......77°F (25°C)......0%.........29.53 in-Hg (100 KPa)
Gross HP rating used before 1972.

The new SAE J2723 rating (referred to as certified HP) that the C6Z06 and many new cars are rated under uses the same test procedure as J1349 above but requires independent witnesses and all engines submitted for testing have to be within +/-1% of its rated HP and all production engines have to be within +/-2% of its rated HP.

Correcting to lower temperatures and higher barometric pressures will yield higher "corrected" HP making it easy to see why STD gives the highest and SAE the lowest. Also explains why the same car here (SAE J1349) is rated higher in Europe (DIN). The C6Z06 is 505 HP SAE here and 512 HP DIN in Europe because of the different correction factors...many incorrectly thought the European version got more HP.

Last edited by glass slipper; 04-26-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM
0Raptor LLC
Former Vendor

Glad to hear you got it back and are happy with the results!

If all goes according to plan, Corey will have mine finished this week...

Cheers,
RH
Old 04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Corey is one of the best guy's to work on an LT5 . It is a passion for him , and well worth the wait. He is very talented on other automotive work also. Just wish he was a little closer (NY )..
Enjoy your car , that 42 HP gain
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Raptor LLC

Cheers,
RH
Look forward to seeing that Raptor scream down the track @ BG!

David
Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
0Raptor LLC
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
Look forward to seeing that Raptor scream down the track @ BG!

David
I'm just looking forward to driving it again!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor LLC

Cheers,
RH
We need to get that twin hair dryer out of the way so he has time to re-time the cams and finish up my car. Send me a couple pics of my car when you go to pick yours up. I am planning on being down there mothers day weekend to pick up the beast. Been waiting on some super top secret parts to come in for it.

Who wants to help a fellow brother detail a zr1 in Bowling Green? Its been parked in the shop at Corey's for a year now which I am sure didn't help the existing paint on it. The body shop is the next project after we get it home after treating like a cheap date for the weekend in BG.

Last edited by wdo-mkr; 04-26-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob 93ZR-1
I hope a good driver can get an 11.99 out of it w/ the Nitto Drag radials that I run. With my fat azz and marginal driving skills, I'd be happy to turn a 12.3. Maybe I'm high, but with those dyno numbers, that's what I'd hope to see.
Glad to hear you got your car done. Look me up for a beer at moms party and lets see the car in bowling green. Looking forward to seeing everyone after such a long time.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wdo-mkr
We need to get that twin hair dryer out of the way so he has time to re-time the cams and finish up my car. Send me a couple pics of my car when you go to pick yours up. I am planning on being down there mothers day weekend to pick up the beast. Been waiting on some super top secret parts to come in for it..
Well you will beat me there. I don't arrive until the 10th.

I plan on driving my truck to San Antonio from Phoenix on the 9th and arriving Monday morning. From there, I'll drive to OKC that night and then join Jerry D for the rest of the trip... We plan to roll in Wed Afternoon.

Cheers,
RH
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Originally Posted by rhanselman
Well you will beat me there. I don't arrive until the 10th.

I plan on driving my truck to San Antonio from Phoenix on the 9th and arriving Monday morning. From there, I'll drive to OKC that night and then join Jerry D for the rest of the trip... We plan to roll in Wed Afternoon.

Cheers,
RH
Lets coordinate on cell phones and routes and we can travel in together for part of the route. It looks like we can meet up in Little Rock, AR.
Send me a PM.

It sounds like we might be in town still when you get there. It will be good to see ya again. Heard from Corey today that the heads picked up another 34cfm with the new valves and the port work is not completely done yet. That puts it at over 365cfm at .450 lift and they are still working on the final port and polish of the heads and bowls.

If we get there early I will take the TT for a test drive to see if we want to buy and build one of these fancy new turbo options.

Last edited by wdo-mkr; 04-27-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM
rhanselman
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wdo-mkr
Lets coordinate on cell phones and routes and we can travel in together for part of the route. It looks like we can meet up in Little Rock, AR.
Send me a PM.

It sounds like we might be in town still when you get there. It will be good to see ya again. Heard from Corey today that the heads picked up another 34cfm with the new valves and the port work is not completely done yet. That puts it at over 365cfm at .450 lift and they are still working on the final port and polish of the heads and bowls.

If we get there early I will take the TT for a test drive to see if we want to buy and build one of these fancy new turbo options.
PM sent...

Last edited by rhanselman; 04-29-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corey has my car!!! I can't wait to get it back.