C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Oil choice for your LT5

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I'm sorry, you can raise the same question about your argument. If they really wanted to run a 5w-30 synthetic because that is their "oil of choice", why didn't that start in 1992 instead of waiting until '93? Your proposed reason doesn't explain the change being a year late any better than mine.

As to why they changed, I don't think you or I could prove one way or the other. It's a guess. You are guessing one way, but don't flip out if someone else guesses a different way.
Well, it could be a few things. Maybe the type of seals use on the LT5 that wasn't performing or compatible well with this type of oil (leaks?), durability testing not finalize with this oil type? Or just the increase in HP that was introduce in '93 that called for a better product? Or the fact that they wanted to do a running change and use the remaining oil inventory they had in stock for this engine? Someone know the real answer but probably not on this forum.

As for the Nascar sponsorships comments,
Let's not forget that money run this planet and not always comment sense! So....!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I'm sorry, you can raise the same question about your argument. If they really wanted to run a 5w-30 synthetic because that is their "oil of choice", why didn't that start in 1992 instead of waiting until '93? Your proposed reason doesn't explain the change being a year late any better than mine.

As to why they changed, I don't think you or I could prove one way or the other. It's a guess. You are guessing one way, but don't flip out if someone else guesses a different way.
Ummm, I never stated a reason for the '92 LT5 not using synthetic like the LT1. I proved it wasn't a matter of convenience and that was the only thing that paragraph was about. I also reiterated why 10W30 was used in the '90-'92 LT5 (less VII than 5W30) and that was it...I hope you didn't take that as my "reason". Seriously, what would less VII in 10W30 non-synthetic have to do with not switching to synthetic oil. Either my writing skills are terrible or you're having problems comprehending...or maybe a combination of the two.

You are correct that neither one of us could explain why the '92 LT1 used synthetic and the '92 LT5 used non-synthetic and I would never make a statement to that effect and claim it as fact. Since I didn't wager a guess, I'm certainly not "flipping out" over a "different guess". Personally, I don't care why they waited...it is what it is.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Your points are valid, and who really knows why the insolubles went up on the second sample. On the other hand, I'm a mechinal engineer and I understand cleanliness. I've also done about a dozen used oil analysis samples and this is the only one that came back with high insolubles. Coincidence? Conspiracy theory? I haven't changed my sampling method and always carefully follow Blackstones guidance. To me, my conclusion seems reasonable given the 25% more or so of calcium the AMSOIL had over the Mobil 1. But, it's an opinion.

For the OP, sorry this has devolved into a Mobil 1 vs. AMSOIL debate. I know that wasn't your point. This discussion appeared to me to be about the importance of high ZDDP in the LT5 and where you could get it and I was only trying to share how to obtain the AMSOIL that several others posted they used, before this got sidetracked.

If you decide you need high levels of ZDDP, you are going to have a tough time finding one. The AMSOIL AMO carries about 1265 ppm phosphorus and 1378 ppm zinc. If you'd like to documentation that shows that, drop me a PM and I'll send it your way. Here are the Mobil 1 phosphorus and zinc levels:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

I'm jumping off this thread to prevent further sidetracking your thread.
I don't think this has turned into a Mobil 1 vs Amsoil debate. I learned the '90-'92 LT5s use 10W30 oil and other people are learning things with the "sidetracking" so please don't think you have to jump off this thread. One thing that has come out is high ZDDP levels aren't important in the LT5.

Nobody here has said anything bad about Amsoil oil, the main beef is with their marketing. You're "conclusion/hypothesis" about Mobil 1 in your CTS-V causing sludge in one year and 10K miles, while technically is your opinion, there are people that read it as a statement of fact and come away with a negative feeling towards Mobil 1. There are other people like me that read it as BS and imediately get turned off from Amsoil. Let Amsoil stand on its own as the good oil it is, you don't have to "bash" other manufacturers with ridiculus sludge claims...the fact that you're a mechanical engineer makes it worse. I use Amsoil gear oil in my Mercrusier Bravo outdrives that I put 600 HP through just so you know I'm not an Amsoil hater. Like many other people, I'm just in search of the facts.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, I'm using Amsoil, but not what Marc recomended, but rather the best oil recommended from Amsoil site, and my dealer for the '90 ZR-1. I assume it has the levels of ZDDP for the older cars.......Maybe Subdriver can chime in here.........this is my choice.

SSO-QT
Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
jimmac28
Instructor

here's a good forum for oil, if anyone is interested.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I'm certainly not "flipping out" over a "different guess".
I fail to see how you've proved or disproved anything, but I apologize for the choice of words about "flipping out".
Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

GlassSlipper, thanks for the comments. Wasn't really your comments I was referring to, it was xlr8nflorida that seemed to be bothered by the AMSOIL comments and I didn't want to inflame him. Understand your points on the sludge, but as I'm the one that took the sample, I'll stand by that I didn't contaminate it.

WydGlydJim - dropped you a PM, but short story is that the SSO is subject to the 800 ppm API SM phosphorus levels. If you subscribe to the camp that believes that the LT5 needs higher levels of ZDDP, than this isn't the oil for you. If you believe that modern oils with better basestocks than existed in the 90s (understanding that that is a gross oversimplification of the differences between API SG and API SM) don't require the extra ZDDP, then the SSO is a very good oil. As indicated above, I used it in my CTS-V and saw very good wear numbers.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
Well, I'm using Amsoil, but not what Marc recomended, but rather the best oil recommended from Amsoil site, and my dealer for the '90 ZR-1. I assume it has the levels of ZDDP for the older cars.......Maybe Subdriver can chime in here.........this is my choice.

SSO-QT
That's an API SM rated oil meaning it's limited to 800 PPM for zinc and phosphorus which isn't the same level as the older cars. I can't find anywhere on Amsoil's website giving that kind of info like Mobil 1 does so I don't know the exact amount. But don't worry as your dealer is steering you in the right direction...in my opinion anyway.

Edit: I was writing as you were posting Subdriver...we pretty much said the same thing though.

Last edited by glass slipper; 01-19-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And of course, if you dare to use the Mobil 1 15-50 like I do you automatically get the higher ZDDP levels. Yeah, I know it's goo compared to 0-30 watchmaker oils, but it does reduce my consumption on the long highway runs I (used to) make.

But that's another "old" issue, and since mine sits in the garage for all but a few dozen miles a year now, I guess it's moot.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Wow! 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w50, Amsoil versus Mobil1 war, etc... What about the other brands? I've started this thread with RedLineOil, but there's also Lucas? Royal purple? The Green stuff? Does anyone have data on those?

Martin

PS: The last time I've used Amsoil in my kart racing engine it blew up after 15 laps, the piston welded it self to the cylinder wall!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
LEADFOOT_
Instructor

Wow, I love these debates. Seems like we see at least one every month. Once they get started they pick speed and they are hard to stop!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 AM
ZR1Rob
Pro

I've always used Mobil1 in the crankcase and rear end, castrol 60W in the trans. Now I use Royal Purple in the rear, but still use Mobil1. Not trying to convince anybody, just putting this down so I can read it again in 10 years.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 AM
pantera1683
Racer

Anyone use Valvoline VR1?

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV20...6315458&sr=1-1

They have a buy one case get one case free deal going on right now.

Buy One Case, Get One Free via mail-in rebate Mail-in offer. Special conditions apply. See complete rebate details. Offer expires July 31, 2010

http://classic.valvoline.com/qrz591d...p?rc=DE64D258D

Last edited by pantera1683; 06-12-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pantera1683
Anyone use Valvoline VR1?
No, probably never will even with the rebate. It's not synthetic, doesn't come in 0W30, and has too much ZDDP for me. Some may like it so thanks for posting.

PS It's also too expensive even with the rebate. Just another company trying to cash in on the ZDDP hysteria.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
pantera1683
Racer

No, probably never will even with the rebate. It's not synthetic, doesn't come in 0W30, and has too much ZDDP for me. Some may like it so thanks for posting.

PS It's also too expensive even with the rebate. Just another company trying to cash in on the ZDDP hysteria.
They make a VR1 synthetic in 10w30, it's just hard to find.

That's interesting, I thought the LT5 would benefit from higher ZDDP. Wasn't it designed in the 80s when engines used ZDDP for its antiwear characteristics? Also, doesn't Haibeck preach that the LT5 benefits from ZDDP. Lastly, some guy just posted on the registry that his Z had cam issues, I believe a bearing but I'm not sure exactly.

Maybe LT5s don't need that much ZDDP but I think I will trust Haibeck's opinion on this one.

PS: With all due respect do you have any references or expertise for your "ZDDP hysteria" opinion?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pantera1683
They make a VR1 synthetic in 10w30, it's just hard to find.

That's interesting, I thought the LT5 would benefit from higher ZDDP. Wasn't it designed in the 80s when engines used ZDDP for its antiwear characteristics? Also, doesn't Haibeck preach that the LT5 benefits from ZDDP. Lastly, some guy just posted on the registry that his Z had cam issues, I believe a bearing but I'm not sure exactly.

Maybe LT5s don't need that much ZDDP but I think I will trust Haibeck's opinion on this one.

PS: With all due respect do you have any references or expertise for your "ZDDP hysteria" opinion?
The VR1 synthetic 10W30 is so hard to find, it's not even on their website...could be because it doesn't exist. They do have synthetic racing oil but it's not for street use unless you plan on changing your oil every couple of weeks...it doesn't have the additives to prevent corrosion due to acid forming from combustion blow-by gases mixing with condensation which forms during engine cool down.

When it comes to the oil you use, you can trust Marc Haibeck all you want and he can preach all he wants, but at the end of the day he's just expressing an "opinion" tainted by the fact he sells Amsoil. There are plenty of ASTM/SAE tests to prove SM rated oil with .08% ZDDP is more than capable of providing the required anti-wear properties for older engines as well as older DOHC engines...irrefutable facts, not biased opinions.

My reference is back on post #22...I guess you neglected to read the whole thread. ZDDP wasn't just for anti-wear, it was also used as an anti-oxidant and getting close to .14% can have bad long term affects on your engine. At .20%, it attacks your engine causing spalling of the camshaft of which we have four. If the failure you noted above of an LT5 cam was the cam bearing, ZDDP would have no affect since journal bearings have hydrodynamic lubrication, not boundary layer lubrication which ZDDP is for.

My expertise is based on 28 years of working main propulsion for a small canoe club you may have heard of...the US Navy. We put 100,000 HP to the water through two shafts, reduction gears as big as a house, and controllable pitch propellers. It's my job to see that every single HP gets to the water and the ship can attain max speed as it sails into harms way...oil is a pretty important part of the equation. We have an oil lab on site we can run just about any test you want. We usually look at TBN, viscosity, % water contamination, particulate contamination from 5µ to >100µ, and we have a plasma mass spectrometer to facilitate spectrographic analysis of oil samples for wear metals in PPM. We have tests for salt water contamination looking at chlorides but I take a shortcut by doing a spectro and looking at sodium content...it always amazes me the number of people that don't realize sodium is classified as a metal on the Periodic Chart of Elements. We don't do any cold temperature tests so no Mini-Rotary Viscometer, engine room equipment doesn't usually start unless oil temperature is over 85°F but that's what sump heaters are for. With oil capacities of 1500-3500 gallons depending on the system...oil changes get expensive so we keep on top of things to get 10 years use out of the oil.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
pantera1683
Racer

The VR1 synthetic 10W30 is so hard to find, it's not even on their website...could be because it doesn't exist. They do have synthetic racing oil but it's not for street use unless you plan on changing your oil every couple of weeks...it doesn't have the additives to prevent corrosion due to acid forming from combustion blow-by gases mixing with condensation which forms during engine cool down.

When it comes to the oil you use, you can trust Marc Haibeck all you want and he can preach all he wants, but at the end of the day he's just expressing an "opinion" tainted by the fact he sells Amsoil. There are plenty of ASTM/SAE tests to prove SM rated oil with .08% ZDDP is more than capable of providing the required anti-wear properties for older engines as well as older DOHC engines...irrefutable facts, not biased opinions.

My reference is back on post #22...I guess you neglected to read the whole thread. ZDDP wasn't just for anti-wear, it was also used as an anti-oxidant and getting close to .14% can have bad long term affects on your engine. At .20%, it attacks your engine causing spalling of the camshaft of which we have four. If the failure you noted above of an LT5 cam was the cam bearing, ZDDP would have no affect since journal bearings have hydrodynamic lubrication, not boundary layer lubrication which ZDDP is for.

My expertise is based on 28 years of working main propulsion for a small canoe club you may have heard of...the US Navy. We put 100,000 HP to the water through two shafts, reduction gears as big as a house, and controllable pitch propellers. It's my job to see that every single HP gets to the water and the ship can attain max speed as it sails into harms way...oil is a pretty important part of the equation. We have an oil lab on site we can run just about any test you want. We usually look at TBN, viscosity, % water contamination, particulate contamination from 5µ to >100µ, and we have a plasma mass spectrometer to facilitate spectrographic analysis of oil samples for wear metals in PPM. We have tests for salt water contamination looking at chlorides but I take a shortcut by doing a spectro and looking at sodium content...it always amazes me the number of people that don't realize sodium is classified as a metal on the Periodic Chart of Elements. We don't do any cold temperature tests so no Mini-Rotary Viscometer, engine room equipment doesn't usually start unless oil temperature is over 85°F but that's what sump heaters are for. With oil capacities of 1500-3500 gallons depending on the system...oil changes get expensive so we keep on top of things to get 10 years use out of the oil.
Here you go, http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-6790.../dp/B002ZSM2B0

This is the racing formula, but it's not the "not street legal" formula.

Also, thanks for your service

Your conclusion about Haibeck doesn't hold water. Yes he sells Amsoil but Amsoil sells plenty of different types of oil, not just the high zinc formula. Also, there are other brands of oil that have high zinc content. A lot of engine builders and guys running pre-90s engines like the high zinc stuff for the same reasons Haibeck gives for the LT5.

In fact Mobil1 0w40 European formula is a high zinc oil and it is designed for extended drain intervals and meets the higher European manufacturers specs.

Last edited by pantera1683; 06-12-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil choice for your LT5

Old 01-01-2011, 06:26 AM
93RubyZ
Burning Brakes

This thread is almost a year old. Any new developments in oil products since then? I'm due for an oil change and will need to determine which oil to use -- am leaning towards Mobil 1 0W-30 at the moment.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Amsoil 10W-40

Originally Posted by 93RubyZ
This thread is almost a year old. Any new developments in oil products since then? I'm due for an oil change and will need to determine which oil to use -- am leaning towards Mobil 1 0W-30 at the moment.

I would lean this way

https://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motor-oil-engine-oil

Or for Mobile 1

http://www.zddplus.com/

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 93RubyZ
Actually, there has been a new development. Starting with the 2011 model year, all GM gasoline engines must use oil that meets the new dexos1™ specifications and yes this includes the Corvette which used the GM4718M spec from 1992 to 2010 (with updates along the way). The license for GM4718M oil will likely expire at the end of 2011 which means GM will no longer monitor that specification and any oil labeled as such will be a crap shoot as far as the buyer is concerned as they will have no way to know the company has actually made the oil to the old GM4718M spec. Yes, the GM4718M spec will soon be dead but dexos1™ is backward compatible to all engines made by GM.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_5W-30.aspx
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...13Kwd,b4bRbnH9
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...7bMpH,b4bRbnH9 (This is an old link when GM was going to call it GEOS 1 but I've had the link for a while now.)
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov2009/cover.htm
You'll see dexos1™ leapfrogged the new ILSAC GF-5 spec which was also introduced for the 2011 model year.
I'm sure there are a lot more links available but I haven't really looked into it for about a year, just do a search using "dexos1" and I'm sure you'll get plenty of hits.

The main advantage to dexos1™ is longer oil change intervals (15k miles and more) as we head towards 30k-40k mile oil change intervals...yes, 30,000-40,000 miles between oil changes. Expect the 3000 mile oil change guys reaction to be

I started doing 7500 mile oil change intervals in 1983 with 5W30 non-synthetic oil when everybody else was using 20W50 and 3000 miles. NASCAR was using 5W30 at the time and GM recommended 7500 mile intervals...I'm an early adopter of new technology and better methods.

But back to your choice of oil...Mobil 1 0W30 is a great pick. There are many others that will work just as good so expect others to chime in with their favorite or mimic what the latest guru said was the best. Oil technology has come a long way in the last 20 years and there are very few out there I'd consider "bad" for our engines. If you're racing, you'll need to consider the oil temps you run at to pick the best weight as higher oil temps will require heavier weight oils to maintain film strength.

Quick Reply: Oil choice for your LT5