C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Yellow 95 soon to be for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Polo-1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
I know somebody who just spent north of $90k for a 19 mile 96 GS with red guts.
A GS not a ZR-1
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo-1
the is that you are not ready to spend 50+ on a ZR-1 any year any color (90-95). No one is spending that kind of money on these cars.

I would pay $50,000 for an absolute pristine low mileage rare color ZR-1.

I don't see why you have a problem with my statement. You obviously feel your 90 Z is worth at least $36,000.

So you don't think a 95 lower production, rare color 405 HP ZR-1 is worth 14,000 more??

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 02-26-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Coming from a former owner of 2 GS ragtops...he's an idiot.

Back to the yellow Z...isn't this the same car that they sold about a year ago to a guy in NY? Belive the asking price was right at $70K back then. The truck driver who delivered my yellow LT4 ragtop said he had just delivered the car for Rogers. Betting it's the same car.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I spent over two years searching the country for a low mileage, Dunn Head, All stock, no paintwork ZR1, I would find one, sometime buy plane tickets (couple one way planning on driving the car home) this is of course after many photos and phone calls to the seller. One time I even flew from Alabama to Utah for a 2k mile Admiral Blue car. Get out there, whole right side of the car had been repainted, and NOT well. Had to re-arrange flight back home ...blah blah blah. I spent several grand on BS tring to find my right car . I ended up paying top dollar for the car I wanted at Rogers... Yes, I was that one buyer he was waiting on. I love my car, off topic, I hate Rogers - I hate the way I way I was treated by them, would never buy from them again because of their rude attitudes especially after they got my money and didnt ship the car for weeks when it was gonna go out the next day BUT ANYWAY, time is money and sometime you spend more to save more. I LOVE MY 95#278
Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

the is that you are not ready to spend 50+ on a ZR-1 any year any color (90-95). No one is spending that kind of money on these cars.
This just isnt fact. sorry.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Polo-1
Drifting

what year did you buy your #278 Z
Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sure hope the guy loves that car,pure insanity.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Sure hope the guy loves that car,pure insanity.
Its not your money being spent, so, why label his actions ? By spending 90K (if it is true) he just raised the value of all low mile
GS's.

Isn't that one of the biggest gripes here about ZR-1s? values are dropping... well... boo hoo... unless you are selling cheap what difference does it make?

As far as I am concerned, if you only have 1 ZR-1 and you don't drive it you are a masochist. or... why own 1 ZR-1 if you can't enjoy it by driving it? If you own more that one, good for you... drive the high miler and have a good time.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

what year did you buy your #278 Z
About 4 years or so ago
Old 02-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Polo-1
Drifting

and 3 years ago would not have seen a 179 mile ZR-1 for under $45 even a red 90....
Old 02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by corvette95
I spent over two years searching the country for a low mileage, Dunn Head, All stock, no paintwork ZR1, I would find one, sometime buy plane tickets (couple one way planning on driving the car home) this is of course after many photos and phone calls to the seller. One time I even flew from Alabama to Utah for a 2k mile Admiral Blue car. Get out there, whole right side of the car had been repainted, and NOT well. Had to re-arrange flight back home ...blah blah blah. I spent several grand on BS tring to find my right car . I ended up paying top dollar for the car I wanted at Rogers... Yes, I was that one buyer he was waiting on. I love my car, off topic, I hate Rogers - I hate the way I way I was treated by them, would never buy from them again because of their rude attitudes especially after they got my money and didnt ship the car for weeks when it was gonna go out the next day BUT ANYWAY, time is money and sometime you spend more to save more. I LOVE MY 95#278
Love your white #278.

Will we see it @ BG for the 20th?

Last edited by LT5corsa; 02-28-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
Its not your money being spent, so, why label his actions ? By spending 90K (if it is true) he just raised the value of all low mile
GS's.

Isn't that one of the biggest gripes here about ZR-1s? values are dropping... well... boo hoo... unless you are selling cheap what difference does it make?
Personally its not my money so I could give a rats ***,just cant see spending almost $100,000 for a GrandSport.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

that is insane.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 AM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Still better than having gone to Maydoff...
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

GS's.

I tend to agree with those who view with astonishment the payment of $90K for a GS. When you consider that a low mileage CE of the same year would probably run you at most $20K, the buyer paid a premium of $70K for what amounts to a paint and tape special with its own serial numbers. Sure they're good looking cars, but that paint job is not worth $70K.

The 96 GS is in many ways similar to the 78 Pace Car. That car was also a paint and tape special that brought huge money (in those days). The car's MSRP was about $15K and they were in some cases trading hands for as much as $35K. Even with inflation that has increased by a factor of four, these cars today are still AT MOST only worth mid 30s - and that's with no miles.

When this craziness was going on with Pace Cars, you could get 68/69 L88s for under $20K and pristine original 67 435s could be had for $13-15K. Today, people value the older cars highest when equipped with the performance engines, not because they would be competitive with the latest Corvettes (on the track) but because people want to feel what the best of bygone days felt like. It's kinda like why every F15 or F22 pilot wants to feel what a P51 feels like.

In the future that means that the ZR-1, which is the pinnacle of C4 performance (and I think - design) will be worth well more than an GS - regardless of mileage. The ZR-1 IS the standard-bearer of the C4 generation while the GS will ultimately be lost among all the other paint and tape specials that have been and will be offered over the years. I suppose it is this perception of lack of foresight on the part of someone paying $90K for a GS that makes one stand up and take notice - but only in the same way as watching a train wreck.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah those red 90's are freakin worthless.

This is me picking it up to throw it in the dumpster after I found out.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bb62
The only data we have is that it has a black interior, was ordered with the optional bronze roof glass, and from 1998-2002 called Dayton, Ohio its home. Additionally, there is no confirmation of the car being a 2 Dunn head car (but no confirmation that it isn't).

Now, is it worth $59,900 - perhaps - to a buyer who may never drive it. It's unfortunate that these near zero mileage cars should go for more than low mileage cars (say 200 miles per year minimum) when their complete lack of usage renders them as static displays. There's too much to deteriorate when the car isn't exercised on some regular basis.
I dont understand why everyone thinks they have to be driven. If you look at all the high dollar collectable muscle cars...original low milage is where it's at and always has been. I would much rather (as a car nut) have a 69 camaro for example, original paint, low milage, and not so rare in color then a high dollar - pieced together perfect paint restored car. Now when it comes to higher milage cars, personally, I would mod it and personalize it to my taste like alot are doing these days as resto rods. Sooo, does milage hurt value? YES milage does affect value and regardless of what rumors fly around, these cars are NOT at all affected by sitting if "properly stored and maintained".

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow 95 soon to be for sale

Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS's.

As far as I am concerned, if you only have 1 ZR-1 and you don't drive it you are a masochist. or... why own 1 ZR-1 if you can't enjoy it by driving it? If you own more that one, good for you... drive the high miler and have a good time.
Get what you can for them...there will be a day when they bring more. Who ever thought early Camaros and Trans ams would bring 2 and 3x plus what they cost new?

Last edited by TommyL; 03-03-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyL
I dont understand why everyone thinks they have to be driven. If you look at all the high dollar collectable muscle cars...original low milage is where it's at and always has been. I would much rather (as a car nut) have a 69 camaro for example, original paint, low milage, and not so rare in color then a high dollar - pieced together perfect paint restored car. Now when it comes to higher milage cars, personally, I would mod it and personalize it to my taste like alot are doing these days as resto rods. Sooo, does milage hurt value? YES milage does affect value and regardless of what rumors fly around, these cars are NOT at all affected by sitting if "properly stored and maintained".
I don't think it is valid to compare the value of an extremely low mileage collectible muscle car from the 60s to the C4 ZR-1s. There are so few low mileage cars of that era because "investors" never put them aside - they were purchased for driving. The ones with the low mileage are that way more because something weird or unusual happened somewhere along the way. They have become oddities. The rest of them out there have been restored and represent what one might have been able to see if they had been there in the day. Even a market has been created to facilitate these restorations, but they do not have the value of the originals.

ZR-1s are very different; there are far too many very low mile ZR-1s to entice those collectors who must have the lowest mileage car. As such, the value of these cars will never be proportionally where the older cars are with the same mileage - there simply will be little market for a static display ZR-1 like there is with old muscle cars. The ZR-1's that will be the most valuable are those that get enough driving to keep them at peak performance without the mileage that would wear them out. Because there are so many pristine ZR-1s out there, there is little likelihood of many being restored in the same way the classic muscle cars are restored. It would be cheaper to buy a functional existing car. But the lowest mileage cars often need significant re- freshening from a mechanical perspective and there are those who may shy away from these cars if they can find a car that has been occasionally driven that needs nothing - even from an NCRS perspective.

Consider that the 1990 is already 20 years old. Nobody is restoring these cars. There are no books focused on restoration. And there no articles in NCRS that are restoration focused. Comparatively, by the time the 67 Corvette was 20 years old, there were numerous books and articles on "bringing these cars back". And there were many cars that have been restored from the ground up. These cars just have different histories that are driving how the market will view them.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Very well put bb62

Quick Reply: Yellow 95 soon to be for sale