Dumb mistake - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Dumb mistake

Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
bdw18_123
CF Senior Member

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-

Here are some pictures that captcorvette sent me, I'm posting them here for him.

This is the piece he says is from behind the instrument panel somewhere, he doesn't know what it is or where it goes. I don't recognize it off-hand either, does anyone else know?

This is the vacuum line that he is trying to find where to plug in. Looks to me like it might be the line that goes to the MAP sensor that is mounted under the ECM, but I'm not sure. Could also be the line that goes to the cruise-control servo.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:19 PM
captcorvette
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't want to hassle anyone but I still need lots of help. The photo was of a part my "expert" mixed up with another car. The vacuum line attached to the bottom of the ECM bracket. The bracket this guy tried to put in another of my cars---not even a chevy. So those 2 issues are over.

Now for the update. Started back over from scratch. Took everything apart. Checked starter and it is working. Checked for leaks and found none. Re-assembled the dash and used my FSM to make sure all at least looked correct going back together.

Removed the PCMforless piggy back chip to make sure all was back to original. Tried to start and no starter. Everything seem to be back like it was before the comedy of errors.

Took a deep breath and made sure the driver's door was unlocked. Shut the door and inserted the original key which I double checked the ohms to be correct.

Then the massive confusion started.

With the driver's door open no courtesy lights come on. Checked the plunger switch and was not stuck. Reached across to the passenger door and opened it. Courtesy lights came on and Security light start flashing. Key was in the ignition. Closed the door and lights went out.

Then attempted to start the car with same results. No start. Then the strange stuff started happening. Insert the key and get 5 bells one at a time. Security light on steady. Check gages light on. Fasten seat belt light on. With seat belt on light is still on. Battery light on. Installed a new a/c delco battery in the car this morning after making sure it was full 12 volts charged. Service engine light on (1st time). Service ride control light on. A/C panel lights on, green light on, OAT (outside temp showing approximately. correct temp.. When the a/c panel light came on I heard a servo or perhaps an actuator noise coming from behind the panel or it could have been from behind the passengerís dash area.

Tried to take a code reading with Autotech 7000 but have lots of trouble getting it to communicate with the car. Gave up to try again tomorrow as have the day off.

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the box so to make sure I have my Ď91 convertible and my Ď90 convertible sitting one on each side to check wires etc..

Suggestions besides the obvious of teaching it to swim? Sure wish I didnít like to drive this so much.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Aurora40
CF Senior Member

Just FYI, I had problems with my AutoXray 6000 initially. I don't know if slight corrosion gets on the contact areas? But the problem cleared up after a few uses and I've never had any problem since getting the scan tool or laptop (uses the same cable) to connect.

So you may try seating the connector a few times. You might also try pushing on the back of the connector while doing this, there's a grey plastic piece that holds the pins in on the back.

But worst case you can use a paperclip to read the codes.

Ride control light will come on after 3 times of starting the car without moving it.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 PM
VetteMed
Tech Contributor

May not be the answer, but I would be tracking down every ground in that electrical system... the latest symptoms could easily be caused by some faulty ground connections.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
captcorvette
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Having been using (or more accurately trying to use the scanner for almost 8 months now) for a while. Persistance usually allows for a connection after a few or many attempts. Have conversed with the site but not very interested in helping.

Will try all the grounding points again. Thank you both for your suggestions and concern. Have all day to work on it.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:32 AM
captcorvette
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Checked every ground I could find in the manural. Cleaned all, retraced all my earlier steps and still coming up with no clue.

Car is being loaded into a container for shipment to Kuwait. A bud of mine there is Shop manager for the Farrari dealership and will take a look at it. :-(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumb mistake

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: