C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Spring Mountain's 200MPH attempt (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:52 AM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Default Spring Mountain's 200MPH attempt (with video)

On Friday, February 26, 2010, Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch set out to reach the 200 MPH mark. It was a cool, overcast morning with about a 10-15 MPH winds.

After Spring Mountain personnel loaded one of it's 2010 Corvette ZR1s on the flatbed truck, it was off to the dry lake bed. John Morris, Spring Mountain's co-owner and our helicopter pilot, set off to recon the area by air. What he found was a dry lake bed that wasn't completely dry. One side of the lake bed had standing water and a good portion was slightly wet. This forced the driver to start at the wet end of the bed and and finish on the driest section. Unfortunately, that meant driving directly into the wind and resulted in a path of less than 3 miles to complete the run.

After several low speed (150 mph) runs our driver, Dave Petrie (General Manager), navigator/lookout Mike Weeks (Sales Manager) and our range officer Victor Resendiz (Head Instructor) gave the green light.

Our team made 3 attempts but just didn't have enough space to make the magic 200 MPH. After reviewing the video and audio feedback, I estimate our speed at about 190 MPH (camera angle in the video wasn't straight at the speedometer, so estimates are adjusted matching speed callouts to camera information).

Only 190 MPH!? We aren't satisfied. We will learn from this event and are confident that we'll hit 200 MPH or higher on our next attempt. Stay tuned!

Special thanks to our Ground Crewman, Ricardo Apolinar, for preparing, transporting and cleaning our ZR1.

We shot much of the video from a helicopter so it's a bit shaky in spots. Hope you enjoy!

VIDEO: ZR1 High Speed Run

Spring Mountain's Ron Fellows ZR1 School is the only school where any driver (not just those lucky ZR1 owners) can learn to drive this amazing machine. To schedule your school, call 800-391-6891 and ask for Donna or Melinda.

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Last edited by socalspringmountain; 03-06-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:10 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
On Friday, February 26, 2010, Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch set out to reach the 200 MPH mark. It was a cool, overcast morning with about a 10-15 MPH winds.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Pretty cool I gotta think the dirt surface is giving some more resistance than a paved road would
Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 AM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Pretty cool I gotta think the dirt surface is giving some more resistance than a paved road would
Hmmm, not sure.

I'd say definitely less grip.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 AM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Hmmm, not sure.

I'd say definitely less grip.

Definitely less traction and probably more resistance. On a paved road with no headwind, I would think you should be able to reach 200MPH easy in a C6 ZR1.

I've also heard that a C4 ZR-1 (I think Curtis Ward is the guy who did it in his '90 ZR-1) can reach 200MPH with 1-inch of lowering & some kind of front airdam rework as the only modifications (not sure what they are).
Old 03-06-2010, 09:09 AM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Only 190 MPH!? We aren't satisfied. We will learn from this event and are confident that we'll hit 200 MPH or higher on our next attempt. Stay tuned!

.. Good Fortune ..

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain's 200MPH attempt (with video)

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain's 200MPH attempt (with video)