C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Gas tank insulators

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas tank insulators

When I bought my car, the gas tank was not aligned with the refueling port. After talking to Jim Voter, JVD and others, there is a distrinct possibility that the tank was taken out and not put back in straight. JVD told me abou the rubber insulators that keep the gas tank from rubbing on the frame. Does anyone have any pictures of their gas tank and the rubber insulators that they are talking about? I have the rear fascia off and am currently loosening the straps on the gas tank. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The tank is strapped to the aluminum frame, and that aluminum frame is bolted to the main body frame its about 8 bolts and you can drop the entire tank.

the straps hold the tank to that aluminum frame and I think there are black plastic on the ends but they dont really do anything.

honestly I dont remember any rubber cushions on these tanks they are straped and then the frame bolts up it can only bolt up one way inless it has been hit in the past that could bend it!

I have one fuel tank set up in my storage shed but its closed now so I cant go check it out until tomorrow but heres a photo of the last one I droped.

If you find that yours might have been hit and bent or whatever I have a used aluminum frame up for sale if you need one.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the help. Apparently, the back of the car may have been hit and they had to redo the back but there is no frame damage or damage to the tank. It is the original tank because the build sheet is stuck to it and I can see it after you pull the exhaust off. On my car, ther is two rubber like pads under the tank. They are at an angle to the tank. After I drained the tank and made it easier to move, I was able to put the tank back into the position that it is supposed to be in. Jim Van Dorn told me about the pads because I didn't know at the time about them. The tank is just not sitting right in the frame. The fix is simple. I just need some more time playing with it. As near as I can tell from the looks of things, the car was not hit but I have no idea why the tank is messed up. The parts are called fuel tank seats and the part numbers are 14047512 and 14047511 for right and left respectfully. You don't want metal to metal contact on something like that especially on a Vette fuel tank. I love those pics that you have.

Last edited by JetJock; 03-14-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Updated information
Old 03-14-2010, 12:31 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

yeh you can see the seats in that one picture the black piece just on the edge under the tank, they are rivited to the frame if I remember correctly.

just unstrap it all and check out those things if the tank is empty and you have the rear bumper off it will be easy, don't forget to unbolt the cables that run around the tank they are bolted under the spare tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas tank insulators

Quick Reply: Gas tank insulators