PCV valve questions for the LT-5 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

PCV valve questions for the LT-5

Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #1  
C1ANDZR1
CF Senior Member

Default PCV valve questions for the LT-5

Hi everyone,

I need some help from the brotherhood. I am finishing up the winter maintenance on my '91 and got the correct part number PCV valves (CV913C and CV769C) from my local Chevy dealer, but now I have a couple of questions. First, which one goes on which side? When I pulled the old PCV valves off, the one on the drivers side was a CV913, which was one of the correct part numbers, and the passenger side was a CV746C which apparently was for various late 60's and early 70's Corvettes and Camaros. My next question is, how much of an effect would the wrong PCV have on the amount of oil in the plenum, as there was more than the usual film?

Thanks,

Jason
C1ANDZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #2  
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Jason the PVC insert top portion is stepped. Each pvc valve has a stop ring so the PVC valves can only fit in one way to be flush.
Goldcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #3  
C1ANDZR1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcylon View Post
Jason the PVC insert top portion is stepped. Each pvc valve has a stop ring so the PVC valves can only fit in one way to be flush.
Goldcylon, I see what you are talking about now. I was confused because on my car the CV913C was on the drivers side instead of the passenger side and the incorrect CV746C was on the passenger side. I guess someone in the past replaced them and thought they were all the same. Could that explain the excessive oil in the plenum?
C1ANDZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #4  
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1ANDZR1 View Post
Goldcylon, I see what you are talking about now. I was confused because on my car the CV913C was on the drivers side instead of the passenger side and the incorrect CV746C was on the passenger side. I guess someone in the past replaced them and thought they were all the same. Could that explain the excessive oil in the plenum?

There should always be a small amount of oil in the plenum so unless its significant I would not worry about it. A lot of folks use a catch can inline in order to eliminate some of this buildup in the plenum. I still need to do mine. You then drain the catch can back into the system. Daryll
Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #5  
MRDZR1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcylon View Post
There should always be a small amount of oil in the plenum so unless its significant I would not worry about it. A lot of folks use a catch can inline in order to eliminate some of this buildup in the plenum. I still need to do mine. You then drain the catch can back into the system. Daryll
Good morning Goldcylon!

Have you installed your catch can yet since this thread was issued?

If so, any pics or tricks for the LT-5? I want to install one in mine because it suck up some oil once a while when I drive my car hard on the track. Since I don't have cats it's easy to see the puffs of smokes through the rear view mirror in those conditions.

Regards,

MRDZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #6  
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDZR1 View Post
Good morning Goldcylon!

Have you installed your catch can yet since this thread was issued?

If so, any pics or tricks for the LT-5? I want to install one in mine because it suck up some oil once a while when I drive my car hard on the track. Since I don't have cats it's easy to see the puffs of smokes through the rear view mirror in those conditions.

Regards,

No I have not yet. Latest mod was a homelink sunvisor.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #7  
Aurora40
CF Senior Member

Got the can from http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...lcatchcan.html

Just cut and bent a piece of metal to hold it. And cut and bent the PCV line to attach it. Obviously that might be a sticking point for some people.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • PCV valve questions for the LT-5
  •