C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Im starting to think...................

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 1996corvetteLT4
I was at Mecum/ Kissimmee in Jan. and two early ZR-1's did strong money there.
1990 Red/Red 11,000 miles #2 cond. $30K
1991 Black/Black 1400 miles (did not look at car) $35K

Is another car with 37,XXX worth only $16.5K? I think not, wrong place at the wrong time.

Craig Jackson & Steve Davis would like to think they "set the market" on these and all other cars, in reality, they don't. I believe the BJ "all at no reserve" deal is losing it's punch for many who could care less about "I bought/sold my car on TV"
B-J at one time seemed to be one of the premier auction houses in the country,anymore its a joke.The only one that benefits from the no reserve auction is the buyer and of course B-J.I would venture to say the shine has worn off the Craig and Steve circus.Ive never heard anything negative about Mecum or Russo and Steele other than the recent nightmare at Russo and Steele.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1996corvetteLT4
I was at Mecum/ Kissimmee in Jan. and two early ZR-1's did strong money there.
1990 Red/Red 11,000 miles #2 cond. $30K
1991 Black/Black 1400 miles (did not look at car) $35K

Is another car with 37,XXX worth only $16.5K? I think not, wrong place at the wrong time.

Craig Jackson & Steve Davis would like to think they "set the market" on these and all other cars, in reality, they don't. I believe the BJ "all at no reserve" deal is losing it's punch for many who could care less about "I bought/sold my car on TV"
I looked at a 69 GTO last year and they guy selling it said ohh these are worth alot.. I saw some sell at BJ! Everyone that has a classic car for sale now thinks they are sitting on gold regardless of condition.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:00 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by bad-zr1
You can only travel in stealth mode until the secondaries open up.
And then the other guys will
Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
B-J at one time seemed to be one of the premier auction houses in the country,anymore its a joke.The only one that benefits from the no reserve auction is the buyer and of course B-J.I would venture to say the shine has worn off the Craig and Steve circus.Ive never heard anything negative about Mecum or Russo and Steele other than the recent nightmare at Russo and Steele.
What happened at R&S recently??
Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 AM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by secondchance
I did it for my personal pleasure and she will continue to be my daily driver.
Now this is a man who knows how to enjoy life....
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndCHANC
IMHO ...We are all traveling in (stealth) mode whether we like it or not.

Hiding the ZR-1 "under a bushel" IMO, was a huge mistake, on the part of GM...But, what do I know? However, you are dead on about the stealth mode.

The thing that surprises me is at a informal car shows more of the younger generation - e.g., "kids" in their 20s - seem to know more about the ZR-1 (and the LT5 in particular) than us boomer generation car nuts. And, that includes so-called Corvette people!

Some of the reasoning for the "stealth" approach was touched on in the book "Heart of the Beast". But, when you look at the new ZR1s, it is easy to see there has been a shift in the amount of distinctive "bling" on the car. Maybe GM took a hint from the 96 GS?

Doesn't matter to me. I know what she is, and I'm not looking to sell her as long as I'm able to drive!

P.

Quick Reply: Im starting to think...................