C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT5 paint finish

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT5 paint finish

I saw it either on here or on the ZR-1 Net Registry Forum about a guy that repainted his LT5. He painted his silver but what is the factory color for the engine when they came out of Stillwater? I going to have the plenum off while I work on a few things and was considering doing that to the engine. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Call Lingenfelter , last I checked they had the correct color paint.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I had mine powder coated, and it was not the stock color, but it looks great!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JetJock
I saw it either on here or on the ZR-1 Net Registry Forum about a guy that repainted his LT5. He painted his silver but what is the factory color for the engine when they came out of Stillwater? I going to have the plenum off while I work on a few things and was considering doing that to the engine. Thanks for the help.
I believe you're referring to a recent post by Hans (CCMANO) and the pictures of his motor are spectacular.

Service bulletin #92-283-0A provides two paint number options from Dupont and PPG here: http://www.zr1netregistry.com/bulletins/922830a.jpg

I would also like to get the specifics on the paint and clear Hans used.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottC95ZR1
I believe you're referring to a recent post by Hans (CCMANO) and the pictures of his motor are spectacular.

Service bulletin #92-283-0A provides two paint number options from Dupont and PPG here: http://www.zr1netregistry.com/bulletins/922830a.jpg

I would also like to get the specifics on the paint and clear Hans used.

I think your best bet would be to buy the paint from lingenfelter I did that to my First ZR-1 Looked good for a number of years this pic is of the rattle can spray painted LT5.

I then had it powdercoated when I was restoring The ZR-1.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Yup it was me. After speaking to Marc Haibeck in 08' about powder coating issues, he told me he was getting better results from paint. When I did my porting I decided to go the paint route. Lgaff (Lee Gaffigan) discovered the paint when he did the porting for me, so I decided to do the whole engine in it.

It's rattle can BMW Wheel paint (silver and clear) manufactured by Wurth. Just google it, it will come up. I recommend using a more heat resistant clear. I'm getting very minor yellowing in a few out of the way small, very hot spots. Just sand lightly between coats. Clear is what gives it the deeper powdercoat look. As with all paint, results are mostly in the prep. It came out like this...

H

Last edited by ccmano; 04-17-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 AM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wur...t-1892181.html
Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Another wheel paint

Like Hans, after listening to Marc H's problems with some powder coat finishes cracking and yellowing, I too decided to go with the silver wheel paint.

This is a shot of the plenum and you can contrast it with the stock 20 year old paint. (testing my fuel pressure under load that day...)

I chose to go with Dura Color, before I heard about Lee's recommendation (or I might have gone that route). IN any case, it has a metal fleck look about it (I tried to capture it, but light was pretty intense causing it to look almost grainy. It isn't, actually. Blame it on the photographer.) Lettering not painted yet...Maybe this w/e?

But, anyway...they came out very nice and will look better with (more) of the 500º engine clear coat layers on it. And, it is by no means brittle. In fact, I found the paint to be a bit soft for at least a week or so. So, until it really sets up, be careful handling it cuz otherwise it mars quite easily with bumps and knocks - is the only downsider I have about it.

FWIW,

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-17-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Originally Posted by ccmano
Yup it was me. After speaking to Marc Haibeck in 08' about powder coating issues, he told me he was getting better results from paint. When I did my porting I decided to go the paint route. Lgaff (Lee Gaffigan) discovered the paint when he did the porting for me, so I decided to do the whole engine in it.

It's rattle can BMW Wheel paint (silver and clear) manufactured by Wurth. Just google it, it will come up. I recommend using a more heat resistant clear. I'm getting very minor yellowing in a few out of the way small, very hot spots. Just sand lightly between coats. Clear is what gives it the deeper powdercoat look. As with all paint, results are mostly in the prep. It came out like this...

H
Thanks Hans and Lee !
Old 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Like Hans, after listening to Marc H's problems with some powder coat finishes cracking and yellowing, I too decided to go with the silver wheel paint.

I chose to go with Dura Color, before I heard about Lee's recommendation (or I might have gone that route). IN any case, it has a metal fleck look about it (I tried to capture it, but light was pretty intense causing it to look almost grainy. It isn't, actually. Blame it on the photographer.) Lettering not painted yet...Maybe this w/e?

But, anyway...they came out very nice and will look better with (more) of the 500º engine clear coat layers on it. And, it is by no means brittle. In fact, I found the paint to be a bit soft for at least a week or so. So, until it really sets up, be careful handling it cuz otherwise it mars quite easily with bumps and knocks - is the only downsider I have about it.

FWIW,

P.
Thank you Paul. It certainly turned out fantastic. I really have just been looking for the right paint to correct light bubbling on my TB - the rest of the motor is fine and hasn't started staining.

But after seeing your results it might be something I decide to do next winter. I really like the hint of metal flake. The photographer did well, as did the painter!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 AM
phrogs
Race Director

What color is the dura color?

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

This is a shot of the plenum and you can contrast it with the stock 20 year old paint. (testing my fuel pressure under load that day...)

FWIW,

P.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:18 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, guys. My engine is kinda dark grey not silver for a 92. My 95 was more silver color, so I really don't know what color it is supposed to be. I do have the paint number for Dupont but I was told that PPG stopped making heat paint. I do have one question: how did you guys paint in the Corvette on the cam covers and the 4 cam 32 valves on the plenum? I have several ideas but I hate to reinvent the wheel.
I am in the process of replacing all of the coolant hoses because they are 18 years old and thought this might a good time to spruce up the engine before BWG next May.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Use a paint pen to do the letters, Like ones for models testors makes some should be able to find some in a local hobby shop.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Outstanding! That solves a lot of concerns. By the by, I have spent a lot of time in AZO. I have even been to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and seen the pink P-40. I kinda miss going over there from ORD but I don't miss the weather. Thanks, guys!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 AM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Problem w/ any spray paint is matching color with the rest of the plenum (if partial resto is desired) or matching original color. Although I had a pleasure of having bought a spanking new ZR-1 in 1991, I cannot remember original color if my life depended on it.
At first, my intention was just to restore the throttle body top. So, I scraped off bubbles w/ razor blade, primed the area and then leveled the surface relative to adjacent surface w/ orange scratch filling putty. Then mixed up a batch of paint w/ Duplicolor VHT engine paint - primer, silver, black and a little gold. Primer and black was used to match the amount of metal flake. Once matched, I primed the area again, block sanded using a small eraser as a block w/ 600 grit. Paint was air brushed on w/ a Badger sprayer.
Although I got the color close, this made the rest of the plenum and cam covers look sloppy. So I ended up air brushing the entire top, used paper towel to knock off paint dust (air brushing was drying some particles before hiting the surface) and then hit the area w/ a light coat of VHT clear.
It came out pretty good - real happy with the result.
Just don't over do clear because it will turn yellow after a while.
Also, make sure you clean the surface real good with Simple Green. A lot of masking but the rest was pretty easy. It just takes a lot of patience and a steady hand when painting the recessed letters.
It has been 10 months and holding up with no issue - baked on!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by phrogs
Originally Posted by ccmano
Awesome!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
SCALF
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I found this, guys...

http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/S...ar-Sp-115.aspx

Note the curing need...

Not solvent resistant until cured...

GS

Get notified of new replies

To LT5 paint finish

Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a quart of the Cronar in my parts bin

G9889J Single Stage from Dupont called Cronar or DAU35598 from PPG.

The above is what GM recommends although some people claim its not an exact match.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 04-23-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 AM
SCALF
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have refinished the Z and am ready to reassemble:

Quite pleased with the finish. Question of the day is, what is the filter media used in the cam cover?

The rectangular area has a filter media much like a black kitchen scrub pad. It is held in place with a metal pin...

Thanks in advance for the help...

Quick Reply: LT5 paint finish