C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
pantera1683
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 Weatherstripping

I want to replace the weatherstripping in my Z and was wondering if they are the same as the standard coupes. I'm guessing no, but I don't see anyone listing ZR1 specific weatherstripping. Does anyone know if they are the same?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Same as any Base C-4 they are not ZR-1 specific. GC
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Same as any Base C-4 they are not ZR-1 specific. GC
Same as standard C4 coupe. My company designed and made those a few years back (we also made Ferrari's, Aston Martin and Porsche). I've actually found the dwgs last years while cleaning old files. We used ,and still do for service parts, a mix of sponge & dense EPDM and some with latex which is sh**T due to it's poor compression set but that's what GM wanted for cost saving matters.

So you know, if you by the cheap stuff you might have dimensional issues and much cheaper compound.

The company I work for Waterville TG Inc. supplies 95% of all Toyota's plants, Lexus, much Honda's, Ford and other JOEM's and now trying to get the next C7. I'm crossing my fingers because if we get it I will be the Program Manager for it.

Martin
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

So, since you have knowledge of the product, what's your choice for replacements? OEM or aftermarket?

Originally Posted by MRDZR1
Same as standard C4 coupe. My company designed and made those a few years back (we also made Ferrari's, Aston Martin and Porsche). I've actually found the dwgs last years while cleaning old files. We used ,and still do for service parts, a mix of sponge & dense EPDM and some with latex which is sh**T due to it's poor compression set but that's what GM wanted for cost saving matters.

So you know, if you by the cheap stuff you might have dimensional issues and much cheaper compound.

The company I work for Waterville TG Inc. supplies 95% of all Toyota's plants, Lexus, much Honda's, Ford and other JOEM's and now trying to get the next C7. I'm crossing my fingers because if we get it I will be the Program Manager for it.

Martin
Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

If its sealed in the package GM. Otherwise Wilcox
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 AM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteMed
So, since you have knowledge of the product, what's your choice for replacements? OEM or aftermarket?
Me? Of course OEM for weatherstrips.

I've seen some aftermarket roof side rails done in India on one of my friends C3 and it was 20mm too short because their compound doesn't meet the shrink test as per GM's engineering standard!!!

Not good to have a gap when to try to seal your car hey!

Martin
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Ive also seen "Brand new" GM weatherstriping crack within a month of the installl. You cant beat the fitment I agree but it really POs me when I lay out $300 for a A piller genuine replacement only to have it crack and look as bad as the stuff you replaced in a very short period of time.

Age is the factor if its no longer sealed I would never buy it again. Its a gamble
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Ive also seen "Brand new" GM weatherstriping crack within a month of the installl. You cant beat the fitment I agree but it really POs me when I lay out $300 for a A piller genuine replacement only to have it crack and look as bad as the stuff you replaced in a very short period of time.

Age is the factor if its no longer sealed I would never buy it again. Its a gamble
Your right, it need to be sealed, but if the molded detail cracked after a few months it's because the extrusion wasn't fresh cutted when they molded it or the molding compound batch was not to spec and that suck!

But plastic bags do slow down the aging process. BTW same with tires!

Martin

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Weatherstripping

Quick Reply: ZR1 Weatherstripping