C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Anyone know this car or care to take a look at it for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

Default Anyone know this car or care to take a look at it for me?

I'm in Iraq at the moment so there is no way for me to check it out. I'm not %100 sure I'd buy it but its close and the price is tempting. I've been considering picking one up with prices low. I think it would make a nice stablemate for my 96.
I've been considering a new DD for when I get back and had narrowed it down to a 3 series BMW or a GTO. My considerations were rwd/back seat and decent gas mileage. I could be convinced to give up a back seat for a little while and DD this thing for a year. I'm in no hurry but thought this was worth a look.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/ctd/1709268651.html
Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
I'm in Iraq at the moment so there is no way for me to check it out. I'm not %100 sure I'd buy it but its close and the price is tempting. I've been considering picking one up with prices low. I think it would make a nice stablemate for my 96.
I've been considering a new DD for when I get back and had narrowed it down to a 3 series BMW or a GTO. My considerations were rwd/back seat and decent gas mileage. I could be convinced to give up a back seat for a little while and DD this thing for a year. I'm in no hurry but thought this was worth a look.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/ctd/1709268651.html
Id pass on this one,too many funny things goin on with it.Wires hacked into for one.Stay safe.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Spartan1510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Id pass on this one,too many funny things goin on with it.Wires hacked into for one.Stay safe.
It looks like an aftermarket grounding system added onto the engine per the pictures which shouldn't cause any issues. Are there wires actually hacked into?

The whole thing does seem a bit odd...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grounding straps are weird, never seen that before. Doesn't necessarily mean wires are hacked into, but does merit a thorough checking out.

The plenum bolts and some of the cam cover bolts seem excessively rusty to me, also.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Spartan1510
Instructor

Originally Posted by bdw18_123
The plenum bolts and some of the cam cover bolts seem excessively rusty to me, also.
Maybe from engine cleaner and a hose?

I'm planning on being down in that area sometime within the next month and would be interested if anyone else looks at it.

The market is certainly down, but one has to ask if the sales staff doesn't know much better or if it has hidden troubles and they just want it off the lot.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 AM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

The grounding straps are from the Nology spark plug wire.
http://www.customcarscentral.com/nlg...-corvette.html

Last edited by James93LT1; 04-26-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 AM
ctgreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdw18_123
The grounding straps are weird, never seen that before. Doesn't necessarily mean wires are hacked into, but does merit a thorough checking out.

Check out the hood mounting bolts and inner wheel panels. The bolts/nuts are also really rusty. I'd be concerned that this may be a vehicle that's been flooded. Just my .02.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that's a bad deal for that car.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Rust on that hardware could be anything it could have been driven in salt covered roads it could have been near the ocean im leaning towards being near the ocean florida maybe?? Ive seen this on my own cars salt gets into the air and it will corrode black oxide covered bolts in not time.

I know my car has rusty hardware and I even removed it and painted it a couple of years ago and it now is rusty again because I lived less than 3 miles to the ocean.

Its also obvious someone sometime has worked on this motor and if you remove the hardware once you will remove some of the coating and that invites rust as well.

I personally wouldnt wory about the rust but I would use it to work them down on the price the spark plug wires that are installed they are junk get rid of them and use something normal looking.

I think this car is worth looking at but who knows...

BTW I was in Iraq in 03, 04-05 and 08 I hate that place!

Last edited by phrogs; 04-26-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

Phrogs, it hasnt changed any. it still rains mud from time to time. Its still dirty and people still want to kill us.

I may ask my brother in law to go check it out and get a feel for the sales guys over there. If he does I'll ask him to get some pics and post em. I'm sure there will be other ones for sale so its not a big deal. I've been toying with the idea of picking up another vette for a while. I have wanted a Z off and on for a long time. It'd be nice to have an LT5 next to my LT4. Best of both worlds I suppose.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 AM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Be safe and thank you for your service.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know this car or care to take a look at it for me?

Quick Reply: Anyone know this car or care to take a look at it for me?