C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Wet pax carpet

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wet pax carpet

While this Vette isn't a ZR-1, the systems for ac are similiar to a point. My wife's car is draining condensation into the pax floor carpet making a soaking mess. I know that there is supposed to a drain for that and it gets blocked. I can't find it in the book. How do I fix that as I may need to check my Z for the same thing later. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

The drain for your windshield well (for better term) is plugged . It's a 1"x 5" black rubber tube with a crimp on the end. It's under the hood on the pass side and is probably plugged with debris.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I looked and there is no tube, pipe or anything. The water is coming from the evaporator because the bottom of the case is wet.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I think what is happening is your fresh airway (right in front of the windshield and below the mesh) is filling up when it rains or you wash your car. I had this problem on a 95 Vette. You can access the drain by removing the pass side fender panel, and you will see it right under the air box. Check the one on the drivers side too.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by zr1fred
The drain for your windshield well (for better term) is plugged . It's a 1"x 5" black rubber tube with a crimp on the end. It's under the hood on the pass side and is probably plugged with debris.
Mine was actually not connected
after I connected it no more problem
Luckily this car had spent its whole life indoors
Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zr1fred
I think what is happening is your fresh airway (right in front of the windshield and below the mesh) is filling up when it rains or you wash your car. I had this problem on a 95 Vette. You can access the drain by removing the pass side fender panel, and you will see it right under the air box. Check the one on the drivers side too.
Well, it hadn't rained and I did not wash the car until much later. The pax side of the floor carpet was completely soaked. I opened up the evaporator case and found the bottom still wet. She had been using the A/C all day up to a Bonham and back. It's coming from the evaporator and the drain is blocked is my best guess.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

As stated you have drains on both side of the car. Pull the panels and start looking. My ac on my 91 drains right behind the front wheel on the passenger side. If the drain is plugged or not attached the condensation will drain from the evaporator suitcase to the passenger footwell. GC

Get notified of new replies

To Wet pax carpet

Quick Reply: Wet pax carpet