C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Dam I love my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dam I love my Z!

Gentlemen,

Just to let you know that we own a great piece of machinery! The engine is a work of art and the body/suspension is the first state of the art design General Motor ever did at that time.

Lowered with the poly bushings and the VBP baseline race track alignment the car is like drinking a fine wine when carving through the curves! What a great feeling!

It's not the most amazing handling car I drove but it's close, I've raced 125cc karts, Lotus, Porches turbos and none turbo and they all do a better job on the race track then my old ZR-1, the porsches have better brakes and the Lotus handle like my race kart, but keeping up with those cars on the track is actually do able and that's pretty amazing considering that our cars are a few generation older compare to the latest state of the art cars I mentioned!

Of course she's not stock, but even so, she's still hold on to those new kids on the block!

The other day when I was getting her aligned on a 3D machine, 2 young mecanics came close to my car and one of them confirmed to the other "I told you she was a ZR-1! You owe me 5$!" Man! That made my day! Knowing that younger men (early 20s) are starting to get more interest in the ZR-1s legend/history due the the new ZR1 being the worlds fastest car at the ring in Germany is good news for the breed!

Anyway, I'll finish my class of wine thinking that there's 3 ZR-1s in my familly and that makes me and my dad very lucky men and that maybe one day our ZR-1s will regain the prestige it once had to the general car guys!

All together!

Last edited by MRDZR1; 05-02-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The old '91 ain't up to the modern stuff in some respects but they don't handle her without breaking a serious sweat She did 1800 hard miles through the mountains of VA, WVA, KY, and wrapped it up with the Devils Triangle in TN in 4 days last week without a wiff of a problem.

I was at a local "Cars and Coffee" Saturday with Ferrari's, Porsche's, classics, etc. I popped the hood on the ZR-1 and quite a few the younger import guys started drooling on the DOHC V8 in a Vette

It was fun to hear them talking about the Z with respect.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex

The old '91 ain't up to the modern stuff in some respects but they don't handle her without breaking a serious sweat She did 1800 hard miles through the mountains of VA, WVA, KY, and wrapped it up with the Devils Triangle in TN in 4 days last week without a wiff of a problem.

I was at a local "Cars and Coffee" Saturday with Ferrari's, Porsche's, classics, etc. I popped the hood on the ZR-1 and quite a few the younger import guys started drooling on the DOHC V8 in a Vette

Great pix mon ami! Yeap I love it when they start going at it looking at this work of art under our clam shells.
We have very similar cars, mine have the VanDeventer plenum, inj housing & heads, RC injectors wtih SSW headers, x-pipe & Borlas, K&N, Aluminium flywheel, hurst shifter, Haibeck chip, synth everything and the brake (SS lines + GS4 pads) and the suspension mods mentioned above.

http://s754.photobucket.com/home/MRDZR1
Old 05-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex

I popped the hood on the ZR-1 and quite a few the younger import guys started drooling on the DOHC V8 in a Vette

I have found too that (by far) more of the younger crowd as a group know about the ZR-1 and the LT5 in particular than most older Corvette owners/"aficionados". At several car shows most of the older gen just file by w/o even noticing. But, who is stopping to take pictures and call their friends over to see "a reel ZR-1"?

Well, good for them!

P.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRDZR1
Gentlemen,

Just to let you know that we own a great piece of machinery! The engine is a work of art and the body/suspension is the first state of the art design General Motor ever did at that time.

Lowered with the poly bushings and the VBP baseline race track alignment the car is like drinking a fine wine when carving through the curves! What a great feeling!

It's not the most amazing handling car I drove but it's close, I've raced 125cc karts, Lotus, Porches turbos and none turbo and they all do a better job on the race track then my old ZR-1, the porsches have better brakes and the Lotus handle like my race kart, but keeping up with those cars on the track is actually do able and that's pretty amazing considering that our cars are a few generation older compare to the latest state of the art cars I mentioned!

Of course she's not stock, but even so, she's still hold on to those new kids on the block!

The other day when I was getting her aligned on a 3D machine, 2 young mecanics came close to my car and one of them confirmed to the other "I told you she was a ZR-1! You owe me 5$!" Man! That made my day! Knowing that younger men (early 20s) are starting to get more interest in the ZR-1s legend/history due the the new ZR1 being the worlds fastest car at the ring in Germany is good news for the breed!

Anyway, I'll finish my class of wine thinking that there's 3 ZR-1s in my familly and that makes me and my dad very lucky men and that maybe one day our ZR-1s will regain the prestige it once had to the general car guys!

All together!
They are a cool car butttt... I wish that GM had paid more attention to quality back in the 90's. One thing that really drives me nuts with the ZR-1 is the flex in the chassie and with the roof panel removed my old Z is a rubber band . I am also getting very tired chasing rattles, squeaks and various noises from the dash and plastic on plastic interior design of the day doesn't help. I like my Z's alot but Generous Motors should have put a little more Quality into the C4.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Redline7g
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same experience with younger people knowing about ZR-1's at a car show when guys in the Corvette clubs didn't know what it was. It's because it's in the video game Gran Tourismo.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by PureChaosLOL
What are the VBP baseline race track alignment specs? Sucks cause I got my car aligned today and was hoping they had, at minimum, stock "ideal" specs but they didn't. The car alignin the car was clueless.
Vette Brakes Products specs.

They have 4 baseline alignment specs.

Daily, Advanced, Autocross and Track

I choosed the "track" option since it was less severe then the Autocross specs

FRONT
Toe = 0 to 1/16
Camber = 1 to 3 degrees Neg.
Caster = 4 to 7 degrees pos.

REAR
Toe = 1/8" in
Camber = 0.75 to 2.5 degrees Neg.

I got mine dialed in the min range of the specs. With a 3D machine you can't go wrong when the person doing it knows the drill!

Try their website and Dick Guldstrand website too, you'll fine what you need regarding this matter.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:15 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by TommyL
They are a cool car butttt... I wish that GM had paid more attention to quality back in the 90's. One thing that really drives me nuts with the ZR-1 is the flex in the chassie and with the roof panel removed my old Z is a rubber band . I am also getting very tired chasing rattles, squeaks and various noises from the dash and plastic on plastic interior design of the day doesn't help. I like my Z's alot but Generous Motors should have put a little more Quality into the C4.
but just do like me, remove all the insolation and run open exhaust on the track. The flex will still be present but you won't hear those dam rattles!

PS: Those rattles would be less if the chassis wasn't flexing as much!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

QUOTE=PureChaosLOL;1573974142]It's slightly funny how it's mentioned the young import guys recognize a lot of what the older crowd doesnt and how they learned it from Gran Turismo.

Having been a Honda builder for over a decade, DOHC motors are the motors of choice and LT5's basically look like two Honda engines mated at the crank, so it's going to be very familiar to them. Secondly, having been a fan and very high ranked Gran Turismo guy online, I ended up feeding the alignment guy specs based on typical settings I'd use on mild cars. The VBP specs are dead on to what i have....so lucky me...lol. I'm in the min of spec. Pretty common sense if your familiar with suspension design and function, but Gran Turismo's physics engine is damn accurate, so there's influence there for sure.[/QUOTE]

Great stuff! Happy to hear that you hit bulls eye with the alignment specs!

All the best!

Get notified of new replies

To Dam I love my Z!

Quick Reply: Dam I love my Z!