C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Perhaps its time to think of a new set of dates and or location for the gathering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Perhaps its time to think of a new set of dates and or location for the gathering?

How many times are we going to have to put up with the wonderful weather in bowling green? Its time to either move this sucker to another set of dates or move the location...... Or both!!

http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/9...4.html?ref=414
http://www.dragzine.com/news/histori...-raceway-park/
Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Northeast has my vote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 AM
C1ANDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on down to south Georgia. We have an awesome dragstrip (www.racesgmp.com) nearby that can handle events much larger than ours, its right on I-75, and South Georgia Corvette is only an hour away. I know the guy that owns the track, he would love to have us in the future.

As for Bowling Green, there are few dragstrips anywhere I like more than that place. It is a shame to see it underwater like that. I remember walking down to the river there several years ago and thinking, this place would be in a mess of this river ever flooded, and now its happened big time.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
rgfllamas
Advanced

Would love to see it nearby, but I know S Fla doesn't work for very many.

Georgia on the other hand would be great.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Weather is why I did not ever make it.....it has rained during the Gathering literally every year I have been able to go since 2004. It just needs to be moved to another month period.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by C1ANDZR1
Come on down to south Georgia. We have an awesome dragstrip (www.racesgmp.com) nearby that can handle events much larger than ours, its right on I-75, and South Georgia Corvette is only an hour away. I know the guy that owns the track, he would love to have us in the future.

As for Bowling Green, there are few dragstrips anywhere I like more than that place. It is a shame to see it underwater like that. I remember walking down to the river there several years ago and thinking, this place would be in a mess of this river ever flooded, and now its happened big time.
Wow! I used to live in Tifton back in 91-93. I woerked for target's Distribution Center. South GA is sweet unless it's "nat" season. Then ughhhhh.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
Northeast has my vote

Martin
Montreal, Canada area.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

what year did we have hail?? 2005?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
csalisbury
Instructor

Originally Posted by phrogs
what year did we have hail?? 2005?
Yep, 2005, the only year I've been able to make it so far. Not only hail but super high winds and/or a tornado.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Ron says its still on and we have 240 registered which is higher than most years. Frank also mentioned that lots of hotels rooms are available now that the Buick guys have rescheduled to mid october. I guess we have to come back to MN by way of KY this next week. ;>

Does anyone have a high res version of the zr1 graphic like brian has in his photo? Or for that matter any of the high res graphics of the old zr1 banners, or lt5 engine and life begins at 180? I am thinking of spicing up the old trailer before we leave town on saturday for TX.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by rgfllamas

Georgia on the other hand would be great.
Doesn't South Georgia Corvette have a small "gathering" that involves quite a few ZR-1's each year?

Sorry that May in B.G. doesn't work for some of you, it works well for me, although, I would make the effort to be there ....even if it was on Jan 1st.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:15 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Topeka is near the center of the USA - would that be better? But then there are the tornadoes ...
Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry that May in B.G. doesn't work for some of you, it works well for me, although, I would make the effort to be there ....even if it was on Jan 1st.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by solid dobe
Doesn't South Georgia Corvette have a small "gathering" that involves quite a few ZR-1's each year?

sure does, every year, week before thanksgiving

moultrie swap meet (like carlisle LOTS of cars and parts for all makes) is there then too

Aaron is quite a hospitable host and quite a few hot rods in addition to the zr-1s show up

NCM has been the location of choice for many years, as it gives a good location to hang out, but we'll always support MANY gatherings across the country

that's what were all about guys
Old 05-06-2010, 09:37 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Ron,

Looking forward to seeing the 390 again. Did you find a ride for your slicks?

regards,

Paul
Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 AM
C1ANDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Wow! I used to live in Tifton back in 91-93. I woerked for target's Distribution Center. South GA is sweet unless it's "nat" season. Then ughhhhh.
Cool, small world. Our store is about 1.5 miles from the Target DC up Central Ave. As for the gnats, you just have to get used to them.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:35 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Las Vegas is always great this time of year (pre-ultra hot summer), but a longer haul for the easterners. Of course, that's what the westerners have always had to contend with. The WNCCC is in town all this week. You could ask anyone of them how they liked it.

But, if more central is better maybe Albuquerque? I never liked that place much, but it's a big town that surely would have facilities. Denver area would still be cold. Dunno about Salt Lake City or that area as far as facilities outside the big speedway. I hear prices have gone way up in SLC.

I think outside the desert areas there is always a great chance of rain during the spring. Maybe that's why I've hung on in Vegas for so many years...no ongoing rain and no torn up roads. Just don't bother with July/August or even most of September for outside events.

Get notified of new replies

To Perhaps its time to think of a new set of dates and or location for the gathering?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Perhaps alternating locations per year? Move it around the country? We do that with our dog show nationals. The big problem some will bring up is that it takes away from the museum getting traffic.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 AM
jrd1990zr1
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Gathering

Location is fine. Move to a dryer time of year.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 AM
HammerZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A big Gathering more centrally located would be better for the Western crowd and might make for a better turnout each year. It took me three days to get there this year. I had a great time and it was nice to meet people I have only known from usernames on the two forums.

Thanks for the ride Paul, your car runs great even at part throttle.

Quick Reply: Perhaps its time to think of a new set of dates and or location for the gathering?