C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

High Water Temp with AC on??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Water Temp with AC on??

Well I jinxed myself. Bragged about how good the old girl was on the trip to the museum and back and now got a problem brewing.

I was driving Saturday with the AC in city traffic and the temp shot up to 240. I turned off the air and was getting ready to head home when the temps started dropping even in stopped traffic. They came back down to normal.

When traffic started moving on the interstate I cranked the air back up, everything seemed fine. When I got off on the surface streets it started to climb again, turned it off and temps dropped to normal.

My guess is a fan issue, any other ideas before I start trouble shooting? AC Condensing coil?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

....or another collection of road debris needing cleaned out.

I've thought about adding a Spahl fan to the front of the stack to help out during city cruising.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Consider a radiator flush and some redline water wetter, if youre not using it already.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys!!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Likely a bunch of debris in the rad - aren't you running a ron davis or something like that? Pull that rad and clean her out!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do both fans run when the AC is on?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbrtng
Do both fans run when the AC is on?
My 90 does that on very hot days when sitting... when running its fine. I did take off the rad housing to look for crap and only a few old crusty leaves in there.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I gotta check the fans but I bet I'm not getting the second fan like I'm supposed to. I'll also clean out the nose vacuum area and do a flush. Its been a while since I did a flush and clean!

I had a fuse-able link go bad on the secondary fan on another 91 I had.

You guys make me feel better, was afraid someone was going to post up something requiring me to yank the plenum to get at the compressor.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex
I gotta check the fans but I bet I'm not getting the second fan like I'm supposed to. I'll also clean out the nose vacuum area and do a flush. Its been a while since I did a flush and clean!

I had a fuse-able link go bad on the secondary fan on another 91 I had.

You guys make me feel better, was afraid someone was going to post up something requiring me to yank the plenum to get at the compressor.
As stated above as soon as you turn on the AC the secondary fan should engage. If you have time remove the rad shroud to be able to effectively clean the radiator (great time to change the hoses as well). You will find debries, bags, leafs, small pets etc. My fins on the radiator has 20 years of dust dirt and silt between the cooling fins. All you have top do was tap it on the ground to generate a dust cloud. A $90 standard Delco replacement radiator works fine as well even in Phoenix Arizona Heat. Good luck
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Replace the radiator with a new stock unit. I did this my temps went right down. 100$. Ding
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a stone between the fan and shroud and poof there goes the fusible link - look behind the battery for a toasted one.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the thicker rad core works great at the track and helps the car "recover" quickly but makes it harder for the stock fans to pull enough air through to cool it down with the heat from the evap core and AC

mine does the same thing. I can run it for about 30 min, and in heat above 95, it will "creep up"

jerry is right, some big fans that pull more CFM than stock will do it

I bought a setup from dewitts and will be replacing my stockers, I'll let you all know if it cures the problem. if not, a "pusher" fan will be the next upgrade

a fluidyne core works a bit better too. it's thin and efficient, and works better with the factory fans.

they just don't have enough zots with the thicker cores

the 96 fans I think pull just a bit more air too.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:05 AM
jrd1990zr1
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Radiator debris

I pulled the shroud on my car and found very little between the AC, oil cooler and radiator. I pulled the radiator and you could barely see through it. I spent about an hour washing debris from between the cores. Lots of junk in there.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrd1990zr1
I pulled the shroud on my car and found very little between the AC, oil cooler and radiator. I pulled the radiator and you could barely see through it. I spent about an hour washing debris from between the cores. Lots of junk in there.
That might help

Get notified of new replies

To High Water Temp with AC on??

Quick Reply: High Water Temp with AC on??