C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

thoughts on this Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:49 PM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i think i would give 8500 for the car.i have a set of stock zr1 wheels with tires,a painter who owes me a favor,a great source for injectors.the clutch i can do myself.i havent offered that amount,when i talked to them they said they are pretty firm at 12.they will have it a while if thats true.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drd21968
i think i would give 8500 for the car.i have a set of stock zr1 wheels with tires,a painter who owes me a favor,a great source for injectors.the clutch i can do myself.i havent offered that amount,when i talked to them they said they are pretty firm at 12.they will have it a while if thats true.
DRD,

I think they are going to have it for a long, long time unless someone who does not understand what it takes to bring it back buys it, if they do, shame on them for not doing their homework.

The 91 I have now was bought as a project, $7,500 a year and a half ago and it was Florida car also but no where as bad cosmetically as this one.

I'd say you are pretty dead on with your assessment of what its probably worth in the real world the way it sits, one good thing it has going for it, motor seemed like it was fine, I wonder why the exhaust is soo friggin sooted up, Air filter appeared to be clean and sounds like I said before, time for a set of injectors.

Forgot to mention, someone has obviously been under the plenum since the plug wire are non-original, they are Taylor wires and look like they have been there for a while judging by the crud on them.
The clear/red shift ball with a Swastica in it is nothing short of hidious!

If you are thinking of making them an offer, I'd suggest you go take a look at it before hand, There was more but I figured I was finding enough bad as it was.

Gibby

Last edited by ZRWHAT; 05-22-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:53 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

I think I mentioned this before but the windshield is for a later model with the Smaller cutout for radar detector, 93 on up had the smaller cutout, car is a 92, no big deal, has some delamination going on as well but typical for the Solar Tint..
Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 PM
drd21968
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i really do appreciate your time to take a look at this car, you may have kept a forum member from buying this car sight unseen.and saving me a day out of my life.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:20 PM
zipnz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drd21968
i really do appreciate your time to take a look at this car, you may have kept a forum member from buying this car sight unseen.and saving me a day out of my life.
Yes, like me! Thank you so much for taking a look at this car and your honest feedback. I was seriously, I mean seriously considering buying this car. Thanks to you, I won't be kicking myself for a bad purchase.

Jetjock, I appreciate your offer to fly me up to PA to have a look. You are indeed a gentleman, as are all of you in the Z brotherhood!

I'm still on the hunt for the "right" Z, it'll be my 4th one. I really miss 'em all.
If any of you need a Z looked at here in the north Texas area, let me know. I'll be happy to do it for you.

Cheers!
Paul Cavins
Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummmmmm...it can cost $1000 to replace all the rubber (I don't mean tires), and the wipes are not easy to do because you have to take the door hardware and panels off. If the windshield needs replacing, the the side post components are very fragile and very expensive to replace (although, if they have been out before they won't have the factory crimp at the top anyway).

I'd say it's a 10/20 ($10K car that needs $20k in work). Maybe less, depending on what a buyer is willing to live with or ignore. My experience is that once one part is restored the rest looks or works crappy...and there's almost no end until the money runs out.

But that's just me.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:14 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

In other words, a good project for a well off car magazine to pick up and restore. Shame to see my favorite Corvette ever in such bad shape.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 AM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by zipnz
Yes, like me! Thank you so much for taking a look at this car and your honest feedback. I was seriously, I mean seriously considering buying this car. Thanks to you, I won't be kicking myself for a bad purchase.

Jetjock, I appreciate your offer to fly me up to PA to have a look. You are indeed a gentleman, as are all of you in the Z brotherhood!

I'm still on the hunt for the "right" Z, it'll be my 4th one. I really miss 'em all.
If any of you need a Z looked at here in the north Texas area, let me know. I'll be happy to do it for you.

Cheers!
Paul Cavins
Paul,

I agree with Gibby and I would pass on that car in Pa... But I PM'd you info on another Z available that needs minor work (injectors) and has new F1's. (91 Quasar Blue / 67k miles) Would sell car for $12 to 13k.

If you are looking for a VERY reasonable car, that would be the one.

ALSO, if you decided to get it... Wazoo would be happy to help you replace the injectors before a driving the car home to Texas.

Good luck with your search,

David
Old 05-23-2010, 01:09 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
If anyone is really interested and needs somebody to look at this, let me know.

It's about a 2 to 2.5hr trip and would be happy to do it for a Z brother!

David
I originally posted this car in the C4 for sale section. I'm 10 mintues away from the car... If you're interested in having someone look it over PM me.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
I originally posted this car in the C4 for sale section. I'm 10 mintues away from the car... If you're interested in having someone look it over PM me.
Never mind.. ZRWHAT did a fantastic job on the report
Old 05-23-2010, 02:36 PM
txtode
Instructor

[QUOTE=glass slipper;1574123776]All years have a single accelerator cable,

My '91 #199 has dual accelerator cable.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by txtode
My '91 #199 has dual accelerator cable.
See post #19:
Originally Posted by glass slipper
Ok, I see now...he was talking about at the throttle body. You're correct, the non-ASR cars have two cables at the throttle body. Thanks for clarifying it for me.
Actually, you only have one accelerator cable...the other one is the cruise control cable.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:59 PM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Quasar is a great looking color, and very few made. I'm just finishing the full Adams polish treatment on mine - well worth it - it literally looks like the paint is brand new.

I paid $16K for my 90 with 38K miles (which also needed injectors).

I would have been seriously intersted in a $12K 67K mile 91car that was in generally good/clean condition.

Last edited by gbmidyear66; 05-23-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
CorvetteRanch
Instructor

As Ben Stiller from Starsky and Hutch said, "Do it!" Even if it needs some tweaks, or need EFI components, its a good deal. These are fun cars. Tough to break those 11 inch wide rear tires loose..gatorbacks baby! Like em better than the Mich PS2s on my C5Z.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Joe Isuzu, "you have my word on it"

better to pay a bit more and get a MUCH nicer car

add up what the car needs and you quickly get into the 15-20k range

there are some REALLY nice cars that are no excuses for just a bit more $$$$

buy the nicest car you can afford unless you just enjoy restorations and paying $$$

ZR-1s are a SCREAMIN bargain if you buy the right one... or.....

Quick Reply: thoughts on this Z