C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Update on a few issues with the '91

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update on a few issues with the '91

Here is an update on a few issues I've been having with the ZR-1 and gotten input from you guys on the forum. I took it down to Shrek's Taj Garage to use one of his lifts and he jumped on it yesterday, I went down today to do some more work.

1. Oil Leak: Bought a set of oil pan gasket and pick up tube seal from Jerry's Gaskets. Shrek put them in yesterday but the leak was from the two studs that hold the heat shrouds on near the front of the pan. The nuts you can get to from below were tight but the ones between the pan and the shroud brace were finger tight. That is where the leak was on both sides of the pan.

Here is what a 43,000 mile LT5 looks like from the bottom up

Not exactly your small block Chevy oil pan.

2. Over heating with AC on: Pulled the shroud and found what looked like the inside of one of Orek's vacuum cleaners!!! Blew/vacuumed Radiator, AC Coil, and Oil Cooler. Its amazing how much stuff gets sucked up where you can't get to it without taking off the shroud!

Here are some pics of the LT5 Imitation of a Orek Vacuum Cleaner Bag

3. Rattle/Pinging: It is an exhaust leak in the Corsas. I had the front of the resonators break a while ago and had to have them welded. Now the rear of the resonators has broken causing a leak. Good news is I have a great muffler guy in Newport News that I can have weld it up for me at a reasonable price when I get it back home.

Big Thanks to Shrek!!!

Last edited by YorkL8apex; 07-31-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:57 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I haven't opened up the radiator area on the Z, but I remember well when I did it on my old '85, I pulled a TON of leaves and crap out, like yours. Nothing like a bottom feeder!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap!

No....UNholy crap!

Get notified of new replies

To Update on a few issues with the '91

Quick Reply: Update on a few issues with the '91