C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Updating the sound system in a 1990 zr-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Shenanigins
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating the sound system in a 1990 zr-1

A little background: My parents have had this car since 92, and barely drive it. I spent a week trying to make it look nice last may so I could use it for prom, been a dream since I was little. I wanted to fix the speakers during that week, but apparently they don't make the part that I need to replace the rear speakers anymore, and the antenna snapped off. It didn't happen. Since then I've driven the car more then they have in the last 3 years. We've talked about it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it off of them.

The question; So, given the information I have from best buy, What can I do to replace the rear speakers in my zr-1? I would love to be able to do this all on my own, kind of a personal project. Is that even possible, with as little knowledge as I have. I may have my priorities out of order, but the car runs fine, so this is the first thing I want to replace. Also, only the back right speaker (22 inch?) works, but barely, the front right one (4 inch?) buzzes or puts out a high pitched screech. I'd also like to replace the radio itself, but, that's not as important just yet, no point if the speakers don't work.

I'm not trying to spend a million dollars, but if you know of any really good places, I live in the San Diego area, not that I can't order parts offline though.

-Thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:32 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Before you do anything, look at this web page:

http://www.doctordons.com/

It sounds like you definitely have bad amps which is a very common problem. Talk to doctordons, they are the experts and price wise are very reasonable.

You might start looking for a new antenna...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hiznhrz
Before you do anything, look at this web page:

http://www.doctordons.com/

It sounds like you definitely have bad amps which is a very common problem. Talk to doctordons, they are the experts and price wise are very reasonable.

You might start looking for a new antenna...
And even though our systems are outdated I think they still sound quite good when functioning correctly.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Replacing this is the fix for the stock radio. These are located at the speaker. The diodes are what go out on the stock, and do so because they used crappy diodes. It's hard to beat the sound of the stock system once you replace the amp.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Who cares about a radio when you can listen to the exhaust note of an
LT-5 in stereo!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Check out the C4 sticky in the Audio section; also the the "What do you run section".
Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

If you swap the amp - don't get talked into some caddy upgrades or something. In my 1990 I put higher power ones when my original ones went south. The cross overs were different and the stereo didn't sound anywhere near as good.

The CD player is a pile.

D.

Get notified of new replies

To Updating the sound system in a 1990 zr-1

Quick Reply: Updating the sound system in a 1990 zr-1