C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Need help- motor racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
solidaxle61
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help- motor racing

I had the dreaded no start starter in my 1990 zr-1. Removed the plenum and replaced starter and all the fuel injectors. All back together,turned the key and the car is racing shut her down and removed the accelerator cables thinking they were holding the throttle open ,again hit the key and it's still racing. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vacuum leak(s) is a strong possibility...
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Classic gasket leak, is where my money sits, or brake booster hose not attached. (define "racing"...how many rpm are we talking about here?)

Just because I fiddle with mine, I plugged the coolant holes in the IH so I can pull the plenum w/o having to fuss with draining coolant and getting the air all out after refilling it. Nowadayz I can pull the plenum in under 20 minutes - a little longer to put it back together.

Jerry (Jerry's Gaskets) suggests that when installing the plenum to first assemble it w/o the gaskets - hook up the DIS, vacuum lines, etc. Then just lift one side of the plenum just enough to slip the gasket in from the side and start two or three bolts to hold it in place while you do the same to the other side. Then torque the bolts down in the proper sequence a little at a time until torque is met. A good idea to use a little (blue) Locktite (262) on the threads too. (Hell...just about every nut and bolt on my LT5 has that stuff -
or sealant - on it now!)

P.

P

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-07-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
solidaxle61
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I say racing .I mean almost to the floor, like the throttle is stuck. Not just high idle. I shut er down quick.
Butterflies are closed with the cables off. How is the fuel controlled? There is a sensor ( looks like a varible resistor type) attached to the butterfly assemble that must send a signal to adjust the amount of fuel to the motor. correct? If that is bad isn't there a fail safe built in to set the car to idle instead of taking off?
Now that I'm typing this I'll check the levers and see if it's operating properly and letting the sensor go back to resting postion. Any other ideas. Is ther a postion for the mass flow sensor? I had that out also ans reinstalled.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates? Curious as to what the problem was.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help- motor racing

Quick Reply: Need help- motor racing