C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

GM Auto Computers

Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Default GM Auto Computers

Last week I posted a thread about needing a prom for a 1995 Corvette ZR-1. Well, I noticed that GM Auto Computers was a forum sponser, so I figured what the hell, use them. The guy I talked to there didn't seem to be very helpfull, but I figured go ahead and order it anyway. Four days later it comes in. Now the car starts, but runs very rich, and throws a 41 code right away, along with a 51 code (again eprom). Clear it, right away comes back. Today I call them up, and the guy says, Code 41 means the "prom is not communicating with the BCM, not reading the vats. I say no, the code says the computer (ECM) is not accepting the PROM. He than suggests I find a mechanic who knows what he's doing. Since I'm on the cell, I hang up and call him up when I get back to the car. I call him up and read him the code verbatum from the service manual. At which point he tells me they sent me a good prom and they are not returnable, and to call someone else. Now I may indeed have a good prom and a bad computer (despite what the books says), but if you think you'll spend the extra money (A1 cardone-$98.50, GM Auto Computer $275 for a 95 ZR-1 ECM) and use a Forum sponser because they are knowledgeable and helpfull, think again. And no, I didn't get mad and yell at the guy (well, I DID get mad).
Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, you paid $275 for a stock PROM? I bet most of the tuners like Haibeck, etc, could burn you a stock cal for less than that. And you could have them throw in some nicer things like CAGS delete, better fan turn-on temps, etc.

Sorry to hear your experience sucked. Hopefully the actual PROM itself is reusable. They are getting rare.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Moderator, Can you help FRED?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Aaa, no. The Computer would have been $275, the EPROM was only $75 + s&h. What I actually called them today for, was to buy the computer. But when I tried to tell them what I was getting, and what was happening, He started off on me. They obviously don't have a clue about apps (or service), and are more worried about having to give money back (which wasn't an issue). All I wanted was to get the problem fixed. Being self employed gives one a whole different attitude about customer service. From what I can find out, nobody has the computer, so I'll have to R&R mine.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:27 AM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CARDONE can't rebuild the LT5 ECM, in fact you can count on one finger the amount of people that can.

For PROM burning though, there are many places, but the one we always go to is Marc Haibeck, good prices and excellent quality.

On a side note, IF your ECM has a bad Micropressor, throw it in the trash, that part is NLA and was unique for the LT5 application, no alternate sources have been found.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

At the end of last month, I sent the computer to Marc Haibeck. He called me several times last week (I was in the field out of cell service for a coupe of weeks). Great customer service by the way. Anyway he had great news, my computer was good, it WAS the prom sent by a sponser here at CF, GM Auto Computers that was causing the problems. Here is what Marc wrote with the prom he sent back to me....

"This cal-pack (prom) has the wrong cylinder select logic for a LT-5. The program chip (on the prom) is blank. All locations are set with FF

Marc Haibeck"

My 95 Z runs great now with the chip I ordered from Marc, although I haven't had time to really wring it out yet. Marc did say he had a source that could fix the computers, and that the guy had just done two for him, which is good news for the two customers, and the rest of us too.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:17 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for that update and info Fred. I also have much appreciation for the responsive customer service Marc Haibeck consistently provides.

Sucks that some vendors are quick to promise you the world then shoot you the moon. But that will hopefully catch up with them.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by ScottC95ZR1
Thanks for that update and info Fred. I also have much appreciation for the responsive customer service Marc Haibeck consistently provides.

Sucks that some vendors are quick to promise you the world then shoot you the moon. But that will hopefully catch up with them.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:29 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Good Guys in town and your ride is up & runnin
Old 11-20-2010, 09:55 AM
falconfling
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Marc did say he had a source that could fix the computers, and that the guy had just done two for him, which is good news for the two customers, and the rest of us too.
I'd like to get the info on the repair guy.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 642 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Great to hear.GM Auto Computers will never see a dime of my money.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

w/ accolades re Mark Haibeck. I could go on and on about my several dealings with Marc, but I'll just say he's a class act both personally and professionally!

P.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Auto Computers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Auto Computers