C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Courtesy lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Courtesy lights staying on

Since the courtesy lights are standard between the Z's and other 91-93cars, I'll post this question here. My wife's 91 Coupe just started having the courtesy lights staying on. I thought that it might be the door ajar switches and checked them but no result. Lights stay on. I have both manuals, so I started the diagnostic check for that problem. So far, I have eliminated the light switch and the courtesy light relay which I had already replaced. Tomorrow, I will check the CCM for ground and play with the door key diagnostics. The CCM shows no codes at all. Other than the key switches and the CCM, anything else? I have checked the hatch switch as well. The other thing that I was thinking about was the diode relay module. I found one in the back area of the hatchback by a relay in the foam. According to the schematic, there is one by the stack under the right hand side bolster. Are there two of them? I pulled the diode module out and the lights went out. Thoughts?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you press down rear window hatch plunger when both doors are closed

How did you rule out the door ajar switches?

Last edited by Goldcylon; 11-09-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I did push down the rear hatch switch and I replaced the door switches.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Tomcat74
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Courtesy lights staying on

Originally Posted by JetJock
Since the courtesy lights are standard between the Z's and other 91-93cars, I'll post this question here. My wife's 91 Coupe just started having the courtesy lights staying on. I thought that it might be the door ajar switches and checked them but no result. Lights stay on. I have both manuals, so I started the diagnostic check for that problem. So far, I have eliminated the light switch and the courtesy light relay which I had already replaced. Tomorrow, I will check the CCM for ground and play with the door key diagnostics. The CCM shows no codes at all. Other than the key switches and the CCM, anything else? I have checked the hatch switch as well. The other thing that I was thinking about was the diode relay module. I found one in the back area of the hatchback by a relay in the foam. According to the schematic, there is one by the stack under the right hand side bolster. Are there two of them? I pulled the diode module out and the lights went out. Thoughts?

I had the same issuse. I disconnected the battery & reconnected it & the problem when away.

Tomcat 74
91 ZR1 #906
Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting. Since I didn't want to drain the battery, I disconnected it several times. I am currently checking the ground path. The CCM shows no codes at all. What is surprising is that it was working fine, then my wife drove it around and it just started.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

My drivers side was causing them to come sometime but then it was continuous, sprayed the door ajar switch with silicone sealant and no more problems!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Both door switches were bad and finally got it working right. I had forgotten about it but there is a diagnostic test on the CCM that determine if the switches are good or bad. The drivers door was pretty straight forward but the pax door had an intermittent on and off that was ticking me off. I finally opened the door panel off and the one of the wires was partially broken, causing it to come on and off. Nailed that sucker down! All's good with the car now.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy lights staying on

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights staying on