C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Need tire sensors for ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need tire sensors for ZR-1

I was swapping my old rims for my new ones and I told them very specifcally about the tire sensor and where it was. They took the top off the sensor. The interior parts look good but the top is ripped off. Anyone know where someone might have some tire sensors. I can convert the sensor to the right rear, which is what I need but can take any of them and change it to the correct freq. Thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JetJock
I was swapping my old rims for my new ones and I told them very specifcally about the tire sensor and where it was. They took the top off the sensor. The interior parts look good but the top is ripped off. Anyone know where someone might have some tire sensors. I can convert the sensor to the right rear, which is what I need but can take any of them and change it to the correct freq. Thanks

i have new in the box
1989 - 1992 Corvette Right Rear wheel. The GM part number is 10098496. The old part numbers are 14104394 and 88963176. $85 shipped
Old 11-09-2010, 02:29 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sending a PM to you now.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JetJock

How are you able to change the frequency, is it a simple step?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
MightyZR-1
Instructor

Same thing happened to me three years ago at Belle Tire. I forget which one I need front right, or left. I am still fuming about it. Where are replacements available?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by MightyZR-1
Same thing happened to me three years ago at Belle Tire. I forget which one I need front right, or left. I am still fuming about it. Where are replacements available?
Ask around or visit the ZR1 forum , you will find one. But first figure out which sensor you need .
Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

NLA from GM unless like in this case as NOS on someones shelves. No replacements that I am aware of. Ask around the registry forum and post up in the WTB section of this forum as well. GC
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LIMEY
How are you able to change the frequency, is it a simple step?
Well, it is complicated if you have never worked around circuit boards but even if you haven't, it is doable. Every sensor has the capability to be used at all four positions. It just depends on how the pads are wired onto the circuit board.

I belong to NCRS and they have an article in the vol. 36, #2, Fall 2009 issue of the Corvette Restorer. In it, they have a very detailed way of changing the codes for the four different transmitters. The actual transmitters are not location specific but there has to be four separate codes. I have several sesnors now and plan to use them in my wheels. I just had one fail, so will check one of them to see if it is working and pull the wheel. The guy that wrote the article had a long way of checking for the failed transmitter but you can do that with a ALDL connector and cross the pins to get the code to which one it is. It is in the service manual for the cars.

I don't think that I can copy the article but I can give the gist of it if you want via e-mail.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

There is a quick way to check to see which one it is. It depends on which year your car is. For a 91 to 93, you ground A to B. This will cause your service LTPWS to flash as well as the service engine light. The first flash will be followed by two flashes. That is a self check that it does. Then the service LTPWS will flash several times followed by a series of more flashes. I have a 92 Z. In my case, I got 3 flashes followed by 4 flashes. That tells me that my left rear tire sensor has a fault. I will be taking the wheel off tomorrow and see if I hear banging around. I bought from somebody and he didn't know if they were working right or not. I've buying up some to convert for my use. Let me know if you need a secret decoder ring.

Last edited by JetJock; 11-10-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 PM
falconfling
Racer

Default Can a sensor from a regular C4

be used ? There is a z specific one on sale at white racing for $89...a good price...for right rear 1990-1992.

A tire dealer screwing up the sensors on my C5 was high on my list of why I let the Chevy dealer sell me tires....and they came within a few bucks of Discount Tires anyway.

Last edited by falconfling; 11-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The sensors for the 89 - 92 cars are the same. There are no "Z" specific sensors. Black casings for the 89-92, white casings for the 93-96. They can not be interchanged between those years.

Get notified of new replies

To Need tire sensors for ZR-1

Quick Reply: Need tire sensors for ZR-1