C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

91 ZR1 overheating problems any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 AM
boschvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 ZR1 overheating problems any suggestions

I have a 91 ZR1 that has been running hot as of late and i was wondering if there is a common problem that accurs that i should look at first?
One thing i have noticed is that it appears that the top left hand radiator fan doesnt seem to come on but i thought that was the air con fan.(is it set to come on at a set temperature?)

What temperature do they usually run at?

This car has only got 21K on the clock and is pretty much untouched.
Any help would be great.
cheers Paul
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The radiator front shroud catches all kinds of road debris and needs to be cleaned out every five years or so this is most likely your problem. Check your coolant level. The two fans are for cooling, but I believe they are set to come on at separate temps; one around 180 and the other around 200? Personally, I feel the cooling system on these cars is weak...that is why a lot of folks have changed over to a Dewitts or other aftermarket aluminum radiator that holds more juice and has better flow.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had a problem with overheating, even in our extreme desert heat, as long as the area between the condensor and the radiator is kept clean....and the fans work as designed. testing the fans is easy: run it with the a/c on and wait for them both to kick in. At idle (or a little above to keep the compressor running) it shouldn't take long for the second fan to kick in. If it doesn't, check the relays and fuses first. But definitely clean out the front of the radiator anyway.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

A stock radiator will work fine if the area in front of it is kept clean. Suggest removing the shroud and taking a look. Plastic bags, Leafs, Pine needles, Paper etc get sucked in they and block the fins. Also dirt and grime builds up in the fins inhibiting cooling performance. Once the shprud is out its easy to pull the radiator to flush it out and clean out the fins. Good time to change out the hoses and installed an new thermostat while you are there as well. GC
Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the fan spins - if there is a small rock between the blades and the shroud, one of the fusible links behind the battery will be blown. Both fans run with the AC on so check that first.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony had the same running hot problem.

Check out the pics HERE
Old 08-22-2020, 07:43 PM
T Jeffery Hill
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over heating issues, help.. fan gone bad...?

Get notified of new replies

To 91 ZR1 overheating problems any suggestions

Quick Reply: 91 ZR1 overheating problems any suggestions