C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

91 z not running right

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
ovhd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 z not running right

Need some help, my 91 starts up, idle is good with no codes or lights. When accelerating and opening secondaries starts to stumble. It almost feels like a coil pack is going bad. If the valet key is turned off the car runs perfect. I tried plugs no help. Thought is was the vaccum pump but just made sure it cycles the way it should. I put injectors in it last year and put maybe 500 miles on it since then. After injectors car was perfect and now this. Gas is fresh, Anyone have any ideas??
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

may be a bad Secondary fuel pump
Old 11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
ovhd
Advanced

any quick ways to check it?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ovhd
any quick ways to check it?
Well, you can pull the fuse for the primary and see if the secondary pump turns on at "key on". If it turns on you know the power is there and the pump is activated. To go further you need a pressure guage attached to the fuel rail to see if it pumps full pressure. There are many threads on this problem.

Just for kicks, check your computer connections at the ECM. Those pins can become loose or gunked up. Just becareful with them.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Check intake duct, to be sure it's not collapsing? Might only do it when secondaries are enabled...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:45 AM
ovhd
Advanced

ok so far i checked the intake for collapsing seems good. Read up on the forum found a thread says to pull ENG 2 fuse ( INJ 2 ) and then pull fp1 fuse. Never made it that far, as soon as inj 2 fuse pulled car dies. Can hear a clicking in the back but doesnt sound like a pump running. How can i confirm it needs a secondary fuel pump?? Guys thanks for the help your a bunch of life savers.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok so far i checked the intake for collapsing seems good. Read up on the forum found a thread says to pull ENG 2 fuse ( INJ 2 ) and then pull fp1 fuse. Never made it that far, as soon as inj 2 fuse pulled car dies. Can hear a clicking in the back but doesnt sound like a pump running. How can i confirm it needs a secondary fuel pump?? Guys thanks for the help your a bunch of life savers.
Offhand I don't think you need to pull the inj fuse unless you are going to be testing an open fuel port. The circuit for the secondary pump will excite the #2 pump when the key is turned on. What you want is to kill the #1 pump by pulling its fuse so you can hear if the #2 pump turns on. If it's a dual circuit you might need to pull another, but what you want to kow is if the #2 pump turns on without the #1 pump having any power. Normally, it will come on without running the engine...and you will be able to hear it (and have pressure at the rail).
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 AM
ovhd
Advanced

With a set of guages hooked up to the fuel rail, what fuel pressures should i be looking for and how can i tell if secondary pump is running?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dallas916
Offhand I don't think you need to pull the inj fuse unless you are going to be testing an open fuel port. The circuit for the secondary pump will excite the #2 pump when the key is turned on. What you want is to kill the #1 pump by pulling its fuse so you can hear if the #2 pump turns on. If it's a dual circuit you might need to pull another, but what you want to kow is if the #2 pump turns on without the #1 pump having any power. Normally, it will come on without running the engine...and you will be able to hear it (and have pressure at the rail).
Just FYI to the OP, I believe this is only with a cold engine. So don't try this after driving around.
With a set of guages hooked up to the fuel rail, what fuel pressures should i be looking for and how can i tell if secondary pump is running?
Fuel pressure ranges are in the FSM, but basically in the 45-55psi ballpark. When there is no vacuum in the intake (engine not running, or at WOT), the pressure should be towards the higher side of that. When there is vacuum, it should drop to the lower end of that range.

Also if you have a gauge, tape it to the windshield and go for a drive. See if the pressure holds when you get on the gas.

Coil packs shouldn't be affected by the key on/off position, I wouldn't think.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:02 PM
ovhd
Advanced

ok, today hooked up set of guages idle around 42 psi. Took it for a ride when activating secondarys goes up to about 53-55 psi. With the valet key off press does about the same. I am assuming secondary pump working as it should. Any other suggestions.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Do you have any stored codes? Does the SES light come on when you start the car (for a bulb check)?

When exactly does it stumble? What gear, what RPM, what throttle position?
I'm wondering if the butterflies are opening. If one of the actuators has failed or the linkage is jammed, I would think it would cause problems such as this...

Get notified of new replies

To 91 z not running right

Quick Reply: 91 z not running right